• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rover V8 prices way down.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I went to the local junk yard on Sat to find a piece for my sister's Camry. No Camrys, but three Rovers. I bought a complete running 4.0 out of a '96 Discovery for $300. They will even remove it for me and load it into my truck first thing on Monday. I've been looking for another 4.0 to build a turbo motor out of. This particular version seems ideal. It has the distributor tapings still on the timing cover, but utilized a coil pack arrangement instead of the distributor. It also has the later crank driven oil pump instead of the early cam/distributor driven ones. I've found that the early design wears cam gears at higher rpms. Your asking that gear to turn both the distributor and the oil pump. It also has a low water pump height like the TR8 front cover does. Most of the later truck covers had a water pump height that wouldn't clear the hood when closed. This one should work fine. I'll have the motor built and then decide whether to go with a modern fuel injected turbo or just a simple blow thru set up. My goal is somewhere around 400 HP at the wheels. The car this motor will go into all ready has a 31 spline Ford 8.8 out of a Explorer, and a drive shaft designed for over 500HP.

PATR8

Jedi Knight
That is awesome, I wold love to find a deal like that around here but Rovers are pretty hard to find around here for any price

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Todd,

Did they have any Miata seats? If you go back Monday, could you check for me?

Thanks,

Paul

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I just checked on line at the large Foreign parts place, they have everything on line. $800 for a 3.9 or 4.0. Both with over 130,000 and "running fine when parked"

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This ought to do ya Paul
Seats.

<span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">IGNORE THIS POST</span></span>

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I didn't notice any Miatas this time, but I wasn't really looking for them. The yard does get them in from time to time. I bought a couple of Miata hard tops from him for my SCCA buddies to use. This yard as well as many others around here are very thin on cars. With the price of scrap so high this past summer, many cars were just crushed. Now that scrap is back around $60 a ton, the yards are filling back up again. The Discovery did have some very nice tan leather seats. I plan on asking about them when I go back to fetch my motor. Don't know if I can make the seat frames fit into a TR, but the leather covers were very clean. They look to be about the same size as a TR7 seat frame. My wife has an industrial sewing machine, so she could most likely restich the covers to fit the TR seats. I'm not sure how many miles were on this truck. All of the dash stuff was missing, so no odometer. The foot pedals showed very little wear, and the interior was not all cluttered up with trash. It did have some drivers side accident damage, so that is probably why it is in the wrecking yard. That plus the fact that they have depreciated to nill and still cost a fortune to fix.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi TR8Todd, What was the name the junk yard where you got the engine?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DART said:
Was that the intentional link??? Can't see using those to even hold seats down.

Went to fix my post and the seats where gone.
Sorry Paul!

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Ferreiras in Carver. I also noticed that they had three different versions of straight6 and V12 fuel injected Jags. Just about all of the yards around here have Rovers thou. Most are of the 3.5,3.9,4.2 variant. 4.0s tend to run around $800, but I haven't seen any sell at that price lately. Have'nt seen any 4.6s yet. Henrys in Blackstone had 3 Rovers in the pick and pull section last time I went in there. They also had a complete 3.9 motor on a shelf for $250, and a couple of later complete Rovers in the section you were not allowed into. In that section, you tell them the part you need- they quote a price and remove the part for you. They quoted me $800 for a complete running, garuanteed for a month, 4.0, with wiring and the computer.

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Picked up my engine today. Yesterday was just too cold. I ended up spending some time unbolting the engine. I just wanted to make sure nothing was broken by the heavy handed yard attendant. He was a real animal. Instead of proping up the front end, so I could get at the bolts under the truck, he just rolled the truck onto it's side. He also used the forks of the loader to pick the truck up by it's roof. He blew thru two side windows and lifted it right up. Here I was trying not to damage anything I wasn't taking, and he just crushed perfect body panels. Once we got the motor out, he said I could take anything else I wanted. He said he was done with it and was going to crush it. It still had a nice interior, and a complete driveline minus the motor. The front brakes looked almost new on it. I grabbed the starter, some brackets and crossmembers, some heat sleeves, and as much wiring as I could get to. It was getting dark or I would have grabbed the two electric fans on the AC condensor. All in all, not a bad $300 spent. I left behind the PS pump and the AC stuff, but I took everthing else that was bolted to the engine. This weekend I'll strip it down and get it ready to go to the machine shop.

PATR8

Jedi Knight
wow, good deal there. The yards around here are building up their stock again after scrapping so much when it was way up. Th all foreign parts in PGH is the best place ever, all cars are under cover in an old steel mill. a pretty prefessional team removing all the engines which come with all you need to run it (ECU ect) but it comes at a price

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
How hard would it be to put one of those Rover V-8's into a TR6?

PATR8

Jedi Knight
Not to mention the great sound