• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Hardtop mounting brackets

PeterK

Yoda
I removed the rear capping on my 3A to smooth them out and recover with new vinyl.

I have a hardtop that I want to redo this summer so I want to go ahead and install a hardtop mounting kit. There are five brackets that sandwich in with screws threaded into a bottom plate around the capping through existing pairs of holes.

On each side, the two side brackets fit underneath the aluminum capping and will require a hole drilled through the capping for the securing bolt. The chrome finisher fits over the capping. But the capping along the rear is narower so the bracket is to the inside of the rear capping piece and the finsher is too wide to fit the narrow rear.

So does anyone have a picture of their setup with the details of the 3 rear brackets? I'll admit I haven't loooked in Piggott yet but that's next.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Peter: if memory serves, TRF have hardware kits available and there is an illustration in one of their catalogs.

good luck

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Are you sure the brackets (what the Bentley calls a "bridge piece") aren't already there, under the capping pieces ? I think the factory installed the brackets on later cars, just didn't put the hole through the capping (or the chrome trims around the holes). As noted, there were two different trims, (2) wider ones on the side and (3) narrower ones along the back.

Not sure I understand your comment about the bracket being inside the rear capping ... the capping still hides the bracket from view.

Don't forget you'll also need to drill the windscreen frame, and cut the sealing rubber, to mount the brackets there.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
PeterK said:
But the capping along the rear is narower so the bracket is to the inside of the rear capping piece and the finsher is too wide to fit the narrow rear.

So does anyone have a picture of their setup with the details of the 3 rear brackets? I'll admit I haven't loooked in Piggott yet but that's next.

There are two different size chrome protective capping pieces, two (2) larger for the sides and three (3) narrow one on the rear. I would have taken a picture but I just put the hardtop on. We getting the car ready for St. Augustine, Fl for two weeks.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Hi Randall,

The bridge piece(s) are what I am installing. In the diagram they look like a small tab. But they are actually a bracket bolted on to the inside of the body surround. My hardware kit contains 5 bridge pieces w/mount plates and 5 protection plates. Plus all the hardware.

On the sides, the brige pieces fit under the capping without interference, because the capping is much wider on the side pieces. (actually, I had to remove a wooden piece at the back of the b-pillar just behind the dogleg to mount eh bridge piece)

But the capping is much narrower on the rear capping section and the bridge pieces won't quite fit inside of it.

The chrome protection plates also fit the side capping OK. But on the rear they are twice the width of the rear capping and would hang over the finished capping.

Maybe my solution would be to rechape the rear capping to open up the curved lip. Make it just wide enough to accept the bridge pieces and protection plates. I suspect that my rear section might be a homemade cappping piece.

Does anyone have a spare rear capping piece(or 3pc set) for the rear to sell?

Still also like to see a picture if anyone has one.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Thanks Russ,

That helps. But all 5 of mine are the same size so I must have the wrong year kit (maybe?)

Have a great trip down to FLA!

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I see what your saying, the bridge pieces are all the same. It's been 5 or 6 years since I install the hardware and I don't remember haveing a problem with them fitting. I can't remember the year of you car, there may be a diffrence there.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Duh!!!
PeterK
1958 TR3A 1966 TR4A
Well I would think they would be the same, how much body work has you car had!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PeterK said:
But all 5 of mine are the same size so I must have the wrong year kit (maybe?)
Don't think so ... just wrong parts :square:

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
I see Moss lists 2 different sizes - one number for the 2 sides and one for the 3 rear. My hardware kit must have the wrong plates. Bummer.

But I'll have to spread out the rear piece regardless. At least it's aluminum so it's easier to hammer.

The body looks untouched, just the capping that's a little tight.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
PeterK said:
Still also like to see a picture if anyone has one.

Here's some pix, Peter.... hope they help!

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Thanks for the pix, Kevin.

What is the width of your rear capping? It looks like the rear protection plate is angled forwards instead of level like the sides. True?

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Peter on the rear capping mine are also angled forward like Kevin's.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
First thing I need to do is to get the capping shape correct. I'm going to rework it today and see if that helps.