• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Worst thing about owning a new S

t8nwa

Jedi Hopeful
1200 miles!!! Got my Red S saturday and it is killing me trying to keep from playing! It is like torture keep the car under 4500 RPM for the break in period.

BTW, it cruises REALLY nice at 80MPH. Poked it once to 90 and seemed to like that too. But, I was afraid the local authorities would not appreciate it.

cheers.gif

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: t8nwa ]</p>

slewi

Freshman Member
I thought the modern thinking on Running In was to use all the revs but in a controlled manner, ie dont thrash it.

Have fun anyway
grin.gif

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Your sooo lucky! That Mini with the supercharger is very hot! I see all the owners with big smiles on thier faces...

Supercharged or not...doesn't matter..

They are all great yet if you've got that 163hp beast..you must be going out of your mind trying to hold back..!!!

Congratulations..

Pete Nevius

Freshman Member
It was definitely hard getting through the 1200 mile break-in period without over-revving the engine or opening up the throttle all the way... But once you're there, it's pure fun all the time!

(1500 miles and counting...)

John Davis

Freshman Member
Im a police pursuit driving instructor. Just test drove a mini s at portland international raceway last week. All I can say is O MY GOD. There is not a police cruser around that will catch this thing. 123 mph on the front straight 122 on the back. The numbers are low because I had to make a corner. One of the best handling cars Ive ever driven. Just remember boys, YOU CANT OUTRUN MOTOROLA.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi John, I agree with you. I had been telling my police officer friends about the old Mini Cooper 'S', and how in a sub-division or on twisty roads it would leave a police cruiser for dead, and they would never believe me! Now there's one that will burn them on a straightaway.
devilgrin.gif

I had police high-speed and training myself (in the UK) and I agree about being unable to outrun Motorola, but if you lose sight of the target and didn't get a look at the licence plate.............

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
I'm all for full revs with cool downs in between blasts to break in a new motor.. That's my motus operandi.. And never had a prematurely worn out motor.. Over 300K on my last two cars ( both with origional clutches even ) and 45K on my Type R with no oil consumption to speak of ( which is very good not just for the mileage but for these motors in general )

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
How many miles on that car now?

U still enjoying every minute..

Great car..truly an icon on the american highways and byways..

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JBsC5:
How many miles on that car now?

U still enjoying every minute..

Great car..truly an icon on the american highways and byways..
<hr></blockquote>

Umm How many miles on whose car? ( Sorry not sure who you are asking...)

thirsty.gif

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Nevius:
It was definitely hard getting through the 1200 mile break-in period without over-revving the engine or opening up the throttle all the way... But once you're there, it's pure fun all the time!

(1500 miles and counting...)
<hr></blockquote>

OP
t8nwa

t8nwa

Jedi Hopeful
4000 miles and counting now! Great car. Few niggles besides GIVE ME MY MISSING TOGGLE! Seems BMW decided not give the US/Canada market rear fogs. Which is somewhat OK, but they took the toggle with them leaving a ugly void in the toggle bank on a fully spec'ed car.

BTW, I personally do not buy the 0-60 in 7.5 that some are claiming. Even the official 6.9 seems a little off. My previous car was 7.2 and this feels at lot faster and I am going ALOT faster at the same point on the on ramps!

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: t8nwa ]</p>

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Any tickets yet?
grin.gif
Sounds like a very high fun factor, don't tell the wife, she wants a Cooper 'S' when her current lease is up, if she knew what it can do she might go for something a little "tamer". Tell you what, she can have my Passat..............
grin.gif

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I read the various articles on the car and they implied that the suspension makes it a rough ride. Can you elaborate? We went to a Mini car show at Mini Mania about 2 months ago and there was a new Cooper in almost every color. I decided that I liked the RED or Yellow best.

jerry

zanzibar

Check this out for a MINI paint scheme. This car was at Mini Meet East in Charleston, SC. The owner customized the interior in black and yellow to match. It's a beautiful car...name is Killer Bee.
95_KillerBee.JPG

OP
t8nwa

t8nwa

Jedi Hopeful
tickets?!?! Only when I was not paying attention. There is no way to do 25MPH with the car in 4th gear without idling. Drop it in ONE time and they were there ready! %$@&!!!! I find now that I am judging my speed with the tach than the speedo now. 3000 = 72MPH in 6th. Must keep it at about 2800RPM for the locals to leave me alone on the 60MPH interstate.

Suspension to ME is not harsh. Compared to Buick, it is harsh. Compared to my old car that had Eibach Proline springs, it is soft!