• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My interesting new job [and car spotting]

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
OK...

After spending a few too many months on government benefits I had to go back to work finally...

Anyway picked up a job quickly doing courier work running food all over town (it's a large city here). It's long hours for crappy pay but it gets cash flow happening, and there is one side benefit, car spotting!

Tonight while driving to a delivery in an area I don't usually go to (probably 3/4 hour away from my house), I saw a familiar looking truck snout. Had heard of the Toyota Stout pickup (sold in the States mid-1960's), finally seen pictures of one recently but have never seen one yet, and here was one right in front of me parked facing the road. Despite being on the way to a delivery I took a quick two minutes to hop out, take a quick look and snap a couple of pictures. OK, a Toyota Stout pickup may bore some of you but my secret goal is to see as many old arcane import vehicles that I can and I'm playing catch up being born rather later than most of them (1972). So I can now say I've seen one and can cross it off the list in my head.

Here's to more sightings as long as I keep this wonderful job...
thumbsup.gif
rolleyes.gif

[ 05-07-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Graham

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hey Sherlock,
I get to see one every time I go out the door to do some farm work !
I wish I could cross that out of my head!!!
grin.gif

Hope you find some more cars to spot.
Graham
cheers.gif

[ 05-08-2004: Message edited by: Graham ]</p>

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Sherlock,

Last year I did a two-month stint delivering medical supplies all over Southern Indiana. In that short time I rediscovered the joys of car spotting. Your post reminds me that I forgot to write down the exact locations of these MG's, Triumphs, and various others I had intended to get a closer look at when I wasn't on company time. I used to spend hours every weekend cruising the hills of rural Brown County (Nashville, Indiana) and never failed to spot a classic in the barnyards and fields. It really is a great hobby and has snared me a few cheap classics along the way as well. I think that Tony Barnhill has a piece on his website about his enthusiasm for the sport. Glad to know there are others out there.... thought I might be "weird" or something....

Brian
troll.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bmurphy7369:
thought I might be "weird" or something....

Brian
<hr></blockquote>

I think many of us here are "weird" in this way....I see it as a "healthy-weird" (if that makes sense?)

Sherlock: Congrats on re-joining the workforce...don't foreget to bring your camera to work.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
OK...

Sighting #2 - heading up a side street almost at a customer's house and saw an import-type sedan (early evening at a distance), slammed on the brakes just had to take a quick look, a 1960's Fiat 1500 sedan in gorgeous condition from what I could tell and on current plates. My food customer was the neighbour's house, asked him about it briefly and he said the same also owns a newer model Ferrari of some sort.

Unfortunately a little too dark to even take a picture, would have been kind of neat earlier in the evening as we've had snow today! And there was a pile of snow on top of the car's roof. A car like this is pretty rare now over here... especially in the condition it appeared to be in. I know where it's parked so I may pay another visit sometime and see how friendly the guy is.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by racing girl:
Hi James,
Congrats on the new job... do you get to wear shorts like those cute guys from UPS??????
lol.gif

RG
england.gif
<hr></blockquote>

I hope not - its still snowing here
frown.gif

racing girl

Jedi Knight
Oh come on Dave!!! You're Canadian, what's a little snow to you guys???

May 1st/2nd was our first race weekend of the season at Waterford Hills... it was 45, if we were lucky, raining, windy and sleeting. I was wearing 5 layers on the grid, including thermals, thick fleeces and a waterproof, I looked like a Michilin Man and I still struggled to stay warm. The Canadians, on the other hand, were walking around in shorts and a t-shirt!!!
shocked.gif

RG
crazy.gif

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Snow... Calgary... I believe there has been snow on the ground at some point in history during every month of the year (even August!)

I still remember the time in May 1986 when I woke up to half-a-foot of snow on the ground here, now that was a snowstorm! The snowfall over the last two days was nothing compared to that year, there's some on the ground still this morning but once the sun comes out it will disappear quickly.

[ 05-12-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Came out of a restaurant today and saw what I thought looked like a familiar back end of a car parked next to mine. Went around the front and sure enough it was a Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph. Don't recall ever seeing one before actually, made sure to get a picture or two of a Plymouth Sundance parked next to a very expensive Rolls-Royce in an ordinary parking lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Also yesterday I saw a Mini cabriolet, had recently issued plate numbers on it, it looked to be the Rover shell and was a RHD car, it's parked in front of a house I go by all the time and can be easily seen from a major street (in case you're reading this David (78Z) and want to check it out, McKnight & 4th Street NW, just west of the intersection on the south side in Greenview residential area)

Alas, my car spotting days are mostly over, it's becoming clear this job isn't as lucrative as the guy promised (it's only paid per delivery, so on a slow day... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif), as of Tuesday I'm just go temping now so I'll know for sure I'm making money when I'm at "work", one more day to go...