• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Restarting a stored Europa issues Part #2

ynotme2

Well Everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I did finally resort to some starting fluid. Sorry to everyone. But I did have to crank the mother out of it. I thought I was going to burn out the starter motor there for a second. I noticed it was not getting fuel. The pump. I finally got the glass off the top and sprayed the crap out of it with carb cleaner. I then reassembled and tried to crank her over. Finally got some oil pressure but nothing. A little more starter fluid then it sputtered. I went back say the pump was still dry. Took off the glass and more carb cleaner. Finally back together and some more starter fluid and it breathed life. Sputtering all the way to lifew. I quickly jumped to the back and kept her alive with a litte throttle. I was lumpy at first then started to even out. I finally got a nice smooth idle out of her.

But then trouble. The bottom of the carbs started to leak. I assume the "O" ring failed or something that I read about the bottom of the zenith stromburg carbs having problems. So I put a cup underneath the one leaky carb and kept the car running. I assume that I will have to replace the "o" ring or get on of the solid bottom to the carbs. Anyone do a conversion to a solid bottom? Does it work?

I ran the car for about 5 minutes or so. But I noticed that the temp gauge never seemed to move. SO I opened up the front and moved the fan blade. It seemed a little stuck. Probably from not moving for 7 years. I shut the car down because I didn't see the guage move and didn;t want to warp or ruin the engine. But I did feel the radiator and it was warm to the touch. My question is how long till the fan would turn on if I left it there to warm up? I want to see if the fan unt is working. I know the pump is because the radiator was warm to the touch. Does it take a long time for these cars to warm up to operating temp?

Thanks

Tony