• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steam cleaning, anyone?

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Just wondered if anyone uses a steam cleaner for their LBC. Big Lots had the Shark for about $25 and I thought I might get it. Is there any damage to be done on the engine if I used it there? I was curious if any dislodged particles can be blown into places they shouldn't be, i.e., electricals. Of course, I would cover the dizzy but wondered about the alternator in particular.

A

aerog

I just use a couple cans of GUNK and a hose - covering the alt and distributor with plastic wrap.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I agree with Scott.

For $25 I wonder what kind of pressure you will get. If it anything like the junk sold on TV it is not worth it. If you use a "professional" steam cleaner they can push a lot of steam(water) whwre you may not want it no matter how well you cover things.

Bruce

Bruce

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, and we know the joy of having alternator issues without making it worse by trying to clean it. Any other parts to cover I as do clean? I've got a couple of cans of Gunk ready to go.

A

aerog

Some people cover the ignition harness completely, including the plugs - I've never done it. If you want to be really careful you might also take the oil filler cap off, cover it with plastic wrap, then put the cap back on (don't forget to remove the plastic) just to make sure water doesn't get into the crankcase. When you spray it off don't use a jet-blast of water, just use a "fan" spray of water using a nozzle.

Oh yeah - try to keep the gunk off the paint, it strips wax. Plan to "detail" your engine compartment afterwards, especially if you wax the paintwork, etc.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I always found it easier to take the wires off the distributor to cover it. Just know where they go back of course.

Maybe cover the voltage reg? Fuse Box?

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I have a Shark and was please with the job it did. It is not a pressure washer, but a steamer. I did use Gunk first and some kerosene on the heavy desposit. I presprayed the entire engine with Marine Clean (POS15's cleaner/degreaser) and was happy...except it didn't remove the rust??? LOL

Bruce

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for all the info.

I did see that post Jaybird started about this some time back but never knew what her end results were ~hint, hint~.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Jaybird never attempted it - yet! Got skeered with all the bits and pieces. So, talking at the Memphis car show over the weekend, John, our club MG doc, said to have dahubby bring it to 'guys night at the garage' and he'd help him clean it.

That would be tonight! YAY! I know I have 2 cans of Engine Brite ready to go.

One thing I did find that worked fabulously (by accident) are these 'wipes' my husband has. They cleaned the grease, oil and gunk off a couple bits with no effort whatsoever. Umm, they're called WypAll waterless hand wipes and they come in a gallon pop up tub.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
If ya wrap the wipe around a straight slot, it works really great in crevices.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Ooooo...that sounds like a good deal, then. Just where does one purchase said wipes? Any auto store or one in particular?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I'm not sure where he got them. Sorry, I'll try to find out.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And I'd say wrap 'em around an old chopstick instead of a screwdriver... less chance of scarring something by mistake. If ya need a narow profile take the chopstick to the bench grinder and profile it.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
They make these great wooden cuticle sticks that are tapered and angled on the ends that would work good too & I could save my chopsticks for dinner!

Bawanadic

Plastic putty knifes and Chem-wipes ( industrial supply houses are where I buy them.
Putty knifes come in all sizes and are flexable to boot.