• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cleaning up wiring

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So my new Bugeye is really quite an original car, very little was messed with by previous owners. That said, at least one previous owner loved accessories. Radio, set of fog lights, some rear lights, air horn, etc. Built a very nice console below the dash to house the extra switches and amp meter and volt meter. Neat stuff, but that console was just where my left knee has to go. Besides, by this point many of the extras had been removed and some of the switches were broken. So it was out with the console and attendant wiring.

Had about an hour free last night so I dove in. I was reminded just how simple a Bugeye is -- there are so few stock wires that it is not all that hard to figure out which wiring is not original. Luckily the PO had run all new wiring right from the fuse box and regulator without disturbing the original wires. All that "new" wiring came out without too much trouble, and the only casualty was the turn signals -- must have knocked something loose somewhere. Just need to dig around and make sure everything is still connected properly.

Eventually I'll rewire the whole car with a new harness (I did the same with the Tunebug after I bought it) but at this point I just want to get everything working so I can get the inspection done.

Cockpit before:

cockpitbefore.jpg

Cockpit after:

cockpitafter.jpg

Pile of removed wiring:

removedwires.jpg

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Remember the turn signal light depends on a good ground through the metal dash panel. I soldered a ground wire on the lamp base just to make sure. Scott in CA

Country flag
Drew, what are you doing with the lights you took off?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Remember the turn signal light depends on a good ground through the metal dash panel. I soldered a ground wire on the lamp base just to make sure. Scott in CA

Thanks for the reminder, Scott. I yanked so many wires yesterday that I'm sure there are things loose. I'll make sure to check those grounds and run extras if necessary

Drew, what are you doing with the lights you took off?

Not sure yet. Undecided on if I like the look on the Bugeye. Might also wind up on the MGB. Too soon to say at this point.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fixed turn signals, just a loose wire at the switch. Onward we go.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Spoke too soon -- checked again and no flashing. Will trace wires this weekend and make sure everything is in order.

At least now all of the non-standard wiring is gone, so there's quite a bit less to sort through.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew,
Looking at your dash I remembered that I have a roll of Heritage vinyl I got from Ray (Whitefrog). I'm not going to use it and you are more than welcome to it. Let me know and I'll send it out.
Rut

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Rut. I'll PM you with details -- I will have to redo the dash at some point to cover over the radio spot. That vinyl would come in really handy!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew,
Got your pm and I'll send it out today. I'm on the way to Birmingham to pick up a few things and one is a quart of DAP/Weldwood Landau top and trim adhesive. I've had rotten luck with the 3m spray products letting go and my trim shop said this stuff is the best he's ever used. Great for dashes and interior panels as well as under hood applications and you can spray, roll, or brush on.
Rut

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Rut.

Let us know how the DAP adhesive works. I've always used the 3M stuff, but good to know about possibly better alternatives.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Thanks, Rut.

Let us know how the DAP adhesive works. I've always used the 3M stuff, but good to know about possibly better alternatives.

Sorry to say it, but the dash covering is mostly loose on the Tunebug so, If that's 3M...

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry to say it, but the dash covering is mostly loose on the Tunebug so, If that's 3M...

That was 3M Spray 77. I guess that's the verdict right there...

I used a 3M Vinyl adhesive for the trim on the MGB, we'll see how it holds up.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Dap/ weld wood adhesive works great. But you still need the small clips to keep the edges down and tight.
Drew
A blanking plate with some Stopwatches mounted on it makes a good alternative to replacing all the vinyl.
Paul

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
FWIW I have never been able to get the 3M to work properly, I just rely on Contact Cement

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew,
The vinyl is scheduled to be there Monday via usps and the cost was low...just pay it forward. I picked up the Landau top and trim contact glue at an uphostelry supply shop and its used for vinyl tops as well as trim and engine compartment applications. It's only $13.50 a quart so it will cover the dash and interior with plenty left over. I'll report back after I re-do my dash and finish my interior panels. Just for grins I've made a couple of sets of backer boards for the interior and have a few extra dashes and may do different colors.
Rut

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Rut! Will do on the pay-it-forward.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Back to the wiring, I spent some more time tonight cleaning up connections and tracing a few things, and the blinkers are working again.

The surprise find of the night is that not only do I have an original heater switch, but it works! Was messing with the switch and then turned on the key and heard this whirring sound. It's a fan! Just need to get a proper "H" knob and we'll be in business.