• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hardtop Stand

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In honor of the quarantine, I bought myself a hardtop stand. It's well build, easy to assemble, comes with a cover and is painted Old English White which goes well with the Healey Blue top. The packaging says it's from ADA Industries, but it's the same unit sold by Summit Racing as a URO brand. Sorry, I can't figure the secret to rotating the photos. I tried rotating them before importing to the forum but no luck. Anyone know the secret?

Attachments

• IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4532.jpg
    IMG_4532.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 113

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Goodness Steve, that's a lot of electronic jumping through hoops.....

Rob - I have a free app, Lightscreen, which makes the screenshot thing really easy. It's one of those things that takes longer to describe than to actually do.

I make screenshots because the files on gmail are a couple of mb and the screenshots are a few hundred k. After the screenshot I delete it from my gmail account without downloading it.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Rob,

Although I do not have a hard top, I love the look of them on the car. As john mentioned, if I had on, I would also have hung the top from above the car for easier install and removal. However, I can see that your trolley frame gives you quite a bit of flexibility in where to store the top when not in use. I guess your choice would depend on where your storage restrictions are.

I understand that the hardtops are quite heavy. How do you handle the installation of the top onto the car and off onto the carrier?

Looks great,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

I understand that the hardtops are quite heavy. How do you handle the installation of the top onto the car and off onto the carrier?

Looks great,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

They're not that heavy, but they are awkward. One person can pick them up, but it takes two to put it on or off, unless one has a hoist of some sort.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John is correct. I would guess they weigh 35-45 pounds but are awkward. My wife and I can easily mount and remove it. I used to hang it from the raffers but my garage ceiling was only 8 ft so it always felt like the top was in the way. I store it now in a storage unit so the cart allows me an easy way to get it from the parking lot to the unit. I don't use it that often, the weather here is pleasant enough to go top down all year. But I do put it on occasionally cause I like the looks of it.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
How many people it takes to remove and install a hardtop appears to dependent partly on the age of the person installing the top. It seemed easy to do this alone at age 19. Today, I would not try it alone. I don't recall damaging the paint back then doing this alone, but concern about that would be one reason for enlisting the help of a second person today.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Amen to that bluekies. Although I've owned my car for 57 years, I've only had the hardtop for 15 so I missed the prime solo removal time.