• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 You can never see enough of a TR6!

VanHalenMan

This is mine, we've just started working on it, it looks a lot better than it did.

100_3414.jpg

100_3415.jpg

100_3413.jpg

100_3412.jpg

100_3406.jpg

trsass002.jpg

pppp002.jpg

I'm a little ashamed to post this, but this is the car that I drove before.
car.jpg

It was stolen from... well, right were its sitting in the picture... the TR6 gladly takes its place...

Lets just say, I would care much more if my TR6 was stolen.

I love this car so much. I'm 19 years old and I've never enjoyed working on something more. Its such a nice car.

When its nice outside, I drive 10 minutes out of my way to get it from my moms garage, just to drive it to the gas station. A total of 5 minutes.

I hope everyone enjoys their "Umph" as much as I do.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

And, I leave you with this thought:

I'll have you know, there was nothing wrong with the car, as I thought... the right rear tire actually threw a belt...

picture010.jpg

picture009.jpg

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
She's a beauty...not to mention, your sense of speed in a TR6 cannot be matched by any of the imports at anywhere near a legal speed.

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Right off the bat I'm amazed that your gauges are actually bright enough to see at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
These cars bring endless fun & are as basic as you get but are very capable with mod's to stay with current day rides.
I'm also guilty of taking the long way home, my wife often asks why such a fast car takes so long to get anywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Mitch

35thbdaytr6

I don't think my gauges would be that bright if the dash was on fire!

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Alright, you've probably posted this on the forum, but how the heck did you do the lights? They look cool... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
V

VanHalenMan

My girlfriend always asks what takes me so long to get to her house... I always tell her "Its an old car, I have to be careful and drive slow..." Really I'm just taking the back roads.

I know exactly what you're doing there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
V

VanHalenMan

As for the gauges... I really don't know what you guys are talking about, they've always been this bright...

I guess I'm lucky!

Someone help me get my turnsignals working!!! I have bright gauges, you have working signals, trade me. They just work when the feel like it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Holy schnikee's , your dash lights are the envy of the entire Triumph population. Do you live near a nuclear power plant?

Is it both sides that fail or just one. Proper grounds are usually the reason for failure or intermitant operation of directionals.
Usually the ground by the sockets is the cause, they are prone to corrosion. Check the flasher unit in the right upper passanger footwell too. "Let the games begin"
I will admit that I have never had a problem with the Lucas components on any of my TR's or the wiring. Now that's lucky !!
Mitch

OP
V

VanHalenMan

Wow, thanks for the tips! I will do that, I think its the flasher because sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't, and the left rear ground may be bad too... i don't like how they are grounded at all...

Off to work!

And, nope, no powerplants around here.

I checked out your sites TRboost, amazing car you have there...

and 1/4 times? or an estimate?

G

Very nice looking car, good luck with her and enjoy. I especially like the driving lights, shape and placement are exactly what I wanted to do with my car. Your picture is just confirmation for me that I will like how it looks, thanks!

trboost

Jedi Trainee
I ran some times with a G-tech without a hole shot & just got in to the high 14's & 0-60 in 6 sec flat. This is still with 6-7lbs of boost. I have a smaller pulley to bring boost up to 10-11 psi but haven't tried it yet.
Maybe this summer, we'll see.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Holy schnikee's , your dash lights are the envy of the entire Triumph population. Do you live near a nuclear power plant?

[/ QUOTE ]

I live near a nuclear power plant, and my dash lights are nowhere near that bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The little british car co. offers halogen dash bulbs. I've never personally used them but I bet they're bright. Go to www.lbcarco.com and search for halogen bulbs (although I think they come up on the main page). If any one tries them I'd love to hear the results. also dim bulbs can be caused by a dirty or worn rheostat (dimmer knob) but they weren't all that bright to begin with. Cheers Guv'na

G

My rheostat in the TR6 was acting a bit flukey awhile back and I didn't feel like spending money on a new one since I've never used the things in any car I've owned. I just bypassed it with a short length of the proper gauge wire, didn't do anything for the dash lights though.

I have a related question. When I redid my interior I tore all the gauges apart, cleaned the insides and the glass, touched up some of the paint, resealed them, and installed all new bulbs. I discovered that at some point someone tried to jam a bulb into one of the sockets that was to long, and it burned through the little green plastic thing that makes the light glow green. I've not been able to find replacements for this colored plastic. I found a gauge at a swap meet last summber but it to had the plastic burned through, else I would have bought it and swapped the plastic. I even called Nisonger gauge restoration in Long Island and they said they just use the soft vinyl type colored covers for the bulbs these days. Anyone know where I can get something like that? It looks dumb with all my gauges green except the one, which shines white.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Scott,
I think you are just looking for a green plastic circle/dot?

Look around for a green plastic squeeze bottle or lid. Or maybe a green file folder tab from the stationary store. You can cut a circle out of it with a paper punch or make a punch by beveling the end of an appropriate size piece of metal tubing to a sharp edge. Back the plastic with a piece of soft wood & tap the end of the tube.
D

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Daves suggestion would work, but I think you mean you want a green bulb. right? Try your local parts store that caters to the custom crowd. they tend to stock or can get colored bulbs.That's the big thing right now.
I know that Toyota uses bulbs that have a removable green rubber boot over them, but they use a different base. If you could even find modern bulbs of the same size globe with that on it you could carefully peel it off and put it over one of your bulbs.
If you have a local U-Pull-It junkyard you could get a good collection of dash bulbs for little or nothing. good luck Guv'na

G

I actually tried something like what you suggested Dave, I used a green file folder tab, cut out a small circle with an exacto knife, and glued it to the back of the existing green plastic bulb cover, covering the part that had burned through. Unfortunately, both the plastic that the tab was made from and the glue were not terribly heat resistant, and it fell apart in short time after the plastic curled up. What Banjo is talking about is exactly what Nisonger was telling me, and what I'd like to find. They use little heat resistant vinyl or rubber boots to cover the bulbs with. The only problem with that is making sure that the boot is not to thick and would prevent the bulb from sliding into the socket of the gauge. I guess either that or a bulb that has had the glass colored green would work. Now that I think about it, there's one of those "ricer" type custom shops not to far from my house, where they do body kits, neon, big stereos, that kind of stuff. Maybe they would have the little boots I'm looking for, thanks for the suggestion Banjo. The only other fix I can think of is to find another used gauge on Ebay or somewhere and make sure that the plastic has not burned through.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Scott,
This would not be a good location for a bulb which is too bright & thus hot. Check the bulb to make sure that it is no higher candle power than the original. Dash lights which are close to plastic lenses obviously cannot be too hot. If your originals are screw base, I think something like the Radioshack # 52 would work. There are also bulb dye kits available. I guess if you want brighter lights, the colored bulbs are the only way to go.
D

35thbdaytr6

A halogen bulb will typically run cooler than a standard incandescent, and an LED stays very cool. Anyone try a bright LED? As for color, I have dyed bulbs successfully before. On the bnew BMW's with clear corner lights, the amber bulbs are dyed with a mirror tint, they look amber illuminated and clear turned off.

35thbdaytr6

Here is a great site for LED's.
LED's