• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Never throw anything away!!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I continue to learn time after time to never throw anything away thing. So I tried to give away for free a good usable lower valence off of Bugsy I. A couple of folks on this list replied but did not feel it was worth the $62 to box and ship to them. So Just this last week I finally put out for the trash guys the lower valence off of my old '68 Sprite. I converted to a BE Bonnet and the valence again I tried to give away for free. No takers a good usable part that was on Bugsy for many, many years.

Finally no room in the garage. Need space for BE parts as I am starting the restoration of Bugsy II. A '59 I brought home from Toronto earlier this month. SO last Thursday I put the valence out at the curb and it didn't last 15 minutes before one of the pickers grabbed it. Last weekend, doing some discovery on Bugsy II. The Bonnet had a new complete lower valence welded on to replace some bad rusty metal. Great glad I didn't have to tackle that challenge but through help from folks on this list, discovered that the lower valance came off of an early '58 parts car. Internal structural supports are different and the '58 Bonnet not as near as strong as I am planning on a forward tilt bonnet. I need to weld in a whole bunch of additional braces and fabricate panels to get airflow to line up with the radiator. So what did I throw away 2-3 days before. A complete set of panels from the Sprite Lower Valence that I could have cut out and welded in place. My DOH! Moment of the year.

Oh well, Trevor sent me some pics on what he did with Ugly Bug his BE which has a '58 Bonnet on it. Or if someone has a a lower valence that is still sound. All I need is the internal shrouding that fits behind the grille and lines up with the radiator support brackets. Repurposing off of a later Spridget sounds easier than fabricating from scratch.

Back to the original lesson, never throw anything away.

RickB

Yoda
OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Rick, yes there is still time to top this.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
OK Jim
Tell me exactly what you want from the front valence and I will box it up and send it from the '72 one that I have that is just taking up space.
BillM

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I understand where you're coming from. My wife is always complaining about the shelves of parts I have in the basement. You never know when you need them. Last week I realized why my left chrome headlight ring wasn't staying in place. The reproduction I had didn't have a tab inside to lock in on the headlight bucket. It just has a screw at the bottom. I found one of the old rings, fitted in place and it's snug as can be.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
007 Resized.jpgBill, Fabulous I knew there was an answer. What I'm looking for is the back part of the valance that has the shrouds that fit up against the radiator. On the '58 early bonnet the bracing / shrouds on the side of the bonnet came down at a 45 degree angle on the sides and did not line up with the radiator. This may or may not work but I'm thinking the shrouds on the back of the valence on a Spridget bonnet could be repurposed for use in the Bugeye. It may or may not work and I'll look to Trevor as he fabricated shrouding to fit the bonnet on Ugly Bug for a forward tilt bonnet. Trevor since you have a BE and a Spridget to compare sitting in your garage, could the shrouding on the back of a Spridget be repurposed for use on Bugsy II to strengthen the bonnet and route air properly.

Bill here is a pic of the side of Bugsy II's Bonnet and I'll need to send over another picture that shows how Trevor fixed. Again the thought is to do with Spridget sheet metal rather than starting from scratch. Thought is to use bracing and shrouds and line up with radiator supports like a later BE Bonnet. May not even be possible but I believe shrouds on the back of a Spridget Bonnet can be repurposed. Heres a pic of the back of a Spridget valence. Opps doesn't want to load one more send coming.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
After taking a look again at what Trevor did I now am having second thoughts on repurposing. Take a look here at how he extended the 45 degree panel https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...-Crossmembers-for-an-early-58-BE-Bonnet/page2. That looks to be easier than cutting a valence apart as the. A brace on the top between the headlights and tack weld a new panel in place. Bill thanks for the offer. Once I get into that phase I may take you up on the offer.