• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION BETTER LATE THAN NEVER TR3

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I know I should have introduced myself before I started posting so here is my intrduction. At this time I have two Triumphs a 1974 TR6 and a 1956 TR3. Some people tell me my TR3 is a 57 but who cares. I purchased the TR3 about a 18 months ago with the intent to restore it. A restoration was started by the previous owner but never finished. At this time the chassis is done except for the engine and OD transmission. Even though the car had been in Arizona since 1957 it still had some rust in the footwells, under fuel tank,rockers, and behind the floor pans. All was replaced with new metal. The only patch work was under the fuel tank. I have all the history about the car except for the first few months. The car was dispatched to France when new. I bought the car from the person who purchased it in 1957. The Heritage Trust states the car cam with wire wheels, hardtop, side curtains, tonneau cover, heater, and overdrive, and painted Winchester blue with blue interior. I plan to restore the car to as original condition as I can except for 60 spoke wire wheels (I do still have the 48 spoke wheels). One major problem I'm having with the restoration is trying to find the correct bonnet. When I took the car apart I called my wife at work and told her not to pull into the garage when see got home. Well I was watching the news and heard the car going over the bonnet. That was a very quit night. Enough about the TR3. This whole mess started in 1977 my senior year of high school. I was driving my 1968 Dodge 440 Coronet and developed a rust hole in the fuel tank. Instead of fixing the leak I went looking for a sports car. I almost bought an Alfa Romeo but found the TR6 instead. I restored that car 5 years ago and enjoy it all that I can. I did have a 1958 AH BN4 before the TR3 but did not keep it long. Bent frame and many other bad stories. I wonder what the Dodge would be worth today? I will end this now so I don't bore you to death. Keith

Attachments

• 14859.jpg
    14859.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 367

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Keith,

"Welcome" back to the wonderful world of "LBCs" on this Great Site called the "BCF":

Interesting story about your wife running over your Bonnet!

Be sure; No one here "EVER" gets bored with car stories. Keep them coming and introduce yourself and your TR3 to the nice folks on the "Triumph Forum" of this site.

Best Wishes,

Russ

PS: Your Dodge 440!! Sounds like Barrett-Jackson mat`l.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome Keith!

I think many of us have stories of "the one that we let get away". For you, that 440. For me, a very special, factory-modified Volvo P1800. Oh well....

Nice knock-off alloy wheels on your TR.
And the profile of a TR3 is one of my favourite car shapes.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keith,
The car is looking very good and the Blu/Blu will also be unique besides being correct.
I recently recv'd my Heritage cert and my red 56 came with a matching red hardtop...I never wanted a hardtop and probaly wouldn't use it much but for some strange reason now I want one!
I look fwd to seeing your car.
Pat

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Welcome to the forum Keith. I can relate to the bonnet problem though mine was a rear fender. Fortunatly the body man I used was able to fix it up. I think you will find the forum fun, informative and very supportive. I know it has been a world of help to me.

Welcome on, Tinkerman

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome aboard <span style="font-weight: bold">mallard.</span> Good looking car. It appears to e from the photo that there is no rear window in the hardtop. Is that the case??? If so, there was a very recent thread about a guy in Oklahoma that is making them if you need one.

Edit: It looks like that thread is still on going.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome, and nice car. I was leaning away from wires for my 3A due to my previous bad TR6 wired experience, but those knock-ons look great and are making me rethink my options.

Randy

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Great story and great car. It really catches the eye and no doubt with your plans it will be in a magazine some day. (Dodges aren't bad either)

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold">mallard, </span>I see you already posted to the hardtop thread, so I guess the appearance of no rear window is an optical dillusion! :laugh:

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
how dee do!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome to the asylum !

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the forum Keith. I too have a 56 Tr but it is in boxes at the moment. someday ........... it will........
Welcome aboard

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Hi Keith,
Nice car and nice story. Welcome to the Forum. I look forward to watching your restoration.
Nick

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Art you are correct about there being no rear glass. I did see the thread and may reply to the person with the new glass. At this time I have three pieces of glass for the top. All of them are new but were not stored very well. Like others have said in the other posting the tops are nice but don't get used. I may save some money and use one that I have. Here in Arizona the hardtop would be nice if I had AC in the car.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Welcome and nice TR3. I'd really like to see more pics of that car, especially of the blue interior.

Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!!

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Keith. Great story. I too have a 74 TR6 (red), and a TR3... I was told my TR3 was a 58 when I got it. But the british certificate for the VIN#, and the people on this forum showed me that it couldn't be a 58. Now I'm sure it's going to be a 59, because the title I have says so... And some of the parts I have might be from a 59 as well.

I drove at least 500 miles in the TR6 over the holidays. Regardless of what some might say, TRs can be very dependable transportation. Few will argue how much fun they are. And many people here can help get them dependable.

Jer