• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What size tire will fit...

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In the trunk of a 65 3000 MKIII?

Hi folks. I'm just wondering how wide a tire will still fit in the space for the spare? I will want to use the stock tie down rod and belt. In photos I see, it looks like the spare needs to fit under the wood block attached to the bulkhead of the trunk. If I buy a set of 185 15s for the car, will I need to get a different size tire for the spare?

Country flag
I don't think you could fit any tire UNDER the wood blocks. Too wide of a tire or too large in diameter may impede the closing of the boot lid. I may be mistaken. I cannot check the car as it is at the painter but from memory the tire rests against the block.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
^Thanks for that. I've seen photos of the tire under the block and just assumed that is the design intent of the block. I think that even if you push the tire up against the block, there will still be fitment problems with a tire that it too wide. I intend to run 185-15s on 5" chrome Daytons. I have a 5' painted wire wheel that I plan to use for a spare. It would make sense to buy all five tires at once, but I don't want to buy a spare tire that won't fit in the trunk.

Country flag
Not related directly to your question, but a week or so ago, I was wondering if I could make a same-size tire fit where my spare goes (on the rear deck in a 2-seater). So, I pulled off one of the rear wheels to test (195/65 on a 15 x 6 rim) and while not optimum, it does fit.

It is for that reason that "HealeyBN7" has those pictures of his spare currently alongside our forum threads, so I could copy his leather belt hold down method.

I too will have Daytons, but in a 15 x 6 center-laced pattern, which I am hopeful, are being manufactured as I type this...

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Bill, the tire should rest against (not under) both bumpers attached to the rear bulkhead and the side bumper as well. Consult your owners manual for fitment. Now, with a larger tire you may have to slide over a bit to fit. Either way the rod and strap should be able to reach over the tire. That does seem to be a rather large tire size, is that really necessary?

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks, Johnny.

You can't find much in the 175 series, and the 165s are too skinny, IMHO. I own the 5 inch Daytons and I'd like to take advantage of the extra width. Prior threads on here suggest that 185s fit the car just fine, but I really wasn't too sure about the trunk and toyed with the idea of buying a 165 for a spare. I may go with the 185 Avons, once I hear some feedback about them from Reid.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I always wondered if a MGTC wheel would work on the Healey hubs. Kinda like a modern donut tire, old school style.

Country flag
GregW said:
I always wondered if a MGTC wheel would work on the Healey hubs. Kinda like a modern donut tire, old school style.
I'm about 1/2 sure it's a 42mm spline (same as ours) but the TC is a much lighter car; you might not get very far...

It would be a cool idea (for display) though :wink:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For years I had a 5.90 x 15 bias ply tire for my spare mounted on a 48 spoke wire wheel. As you may recall that was the original tire size when the cars were new. That tire fit under the wooden blocks and the tie down and strap kept everything in place. The tire was old but held air and since I never used it as a spare, there was no issue.

A few years ago, I replaced some 25 year old Michelins 165 x 15's with new 185x15 Kumo's and kept the "best" old Michelin for a spare. I tossed the 5.90 x 15. Much to my surprise and sorrow, the 165 X15 radial did not fit under the wooden block and I had to remove the block in order to close the lid. Now the spare is not as secure as before. Wish to heck I kept the "really" old 5.90.

I may try a 155 x15 that the low riders use and see if that would fit under the wooden block.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Rob Glasgow said:
For years I had a 5.90 x 15 bias ply tire for my spare mounted on a 48 spoke wire wheel. As you may recall that was the original tire size when the cars were new. That tire fit under the wooden blocks and the tie down and strap kept everything in place. The tire was old but held air and since I never used it as a spare, there was no issue.

A few years ago, I replaced some 25 year old Michelins 165 x 15's with new 185x15 Kumo's and kept the "best" old Michelin for a spare. I tossed the 5.90 x 15. Much to my surprise and sorrow, the 165 X15 radial did not fit under the wooden block and I had to remove the block in order to close the lid. Now the spare is not as secure as before. Wish to heck I kept the "really" old 5.90.

I may try a 155 x15 that the low riders use and see if that would fit under the wooden block.
Why mot attach a piece of sheetmetal to the backside of the block that is offset to allow you to raise the block of wood so the tire fits underneath it?
Patrick

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
^Not a bad idea.

I just checked my spare wheel and learned that is a 5 and 1/2 inch wide TR-6 wheel! darn. I guess I'll use one of the original 4.5 x 15 wheels for my spare and just mount a 165 on it

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Rob Glasgow said:

Rob, I have a BJ7 with a Kumho 165X15 tire mounted on a painted WW, 60 spoke. It fits in the trunk just fine with the block still mounted, although up against, not under it. The leather strap works just fine also, and, I am able to close the trunk. I'll try and take a photo later.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Johnny, I miss typed. My four "real" tires are 165/80/15 Kumho on 60 spoke wheels also. I have not tired them in the trunk. If they fit better than the old Michelin, I will just buy another Kumho for a spare. (that is if I can find one - I had to wait 4 months for the first four). Maybe I'll also try Patrick's suggestion and install a bracket to move the wooden block to a higher location. Sounds like I should be able to secure the spare afterall. Thanks.

AJAX50

Country flag
Avon CR6ZZ are amazing tyres. Don't be tempted by the soft compound unless you only drive when it's raining, the harder compound is fine for all normal use. They really suit the Healey, loads of grip and very predictable handling.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
AJAX50 said:
Avon CR6ZZ are amazing tyres. Don't be tempted by the soft compound unless you only drive when it's raining, the harder compound is fine for all normal use. They really suit the Healey, loads of grip and very predictable handling.

Thanks. There was a thread about tires here a while back and several folks were talking about an Avon tire. I'm not sure if it was the CR6ZZ or something else. Anyway, one of the members here said he was ordering a set from England. When I looked them up on line, I was amazed at the appearance. They really have a vintage look to them.

AJAX50

Country flag
The CR6ZZ do look old fashioned but are a very modern construction, very stiff side walls which help give them the characteristics that work well with Healeys.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was able to fit the spare Dunlop 205 in the boot in have mounted on my '65 BJ8 street car with just a little mod to the forward facing block, the cross bar and tie down strap work great. I do recommend carrying a "real" spare too. On the way back from the grand opening of ORP (about 250 mile round trip)
the front left tire lost air very quickly and I was forced from the fast lane to the narrow shoulder on I-84 in the Columbia Gorge. My co-pilot and I pulled our best "NASCAR" style pit-stop tire change on the very crowded hwy and were back at it in about 5 minutes. Luckily I had checked the air in the spare a few weeks back, it was very low since I put it in 5 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcnm2pLgv-Y

I also bought a set of Avon 185x15 CR6ZZ radials this winter for racing in the rain, so I went with the soft compound. Our season doesn't start until March and I'm looking forward to comparing them with the bias-ply. My tires arrived in 2 days from Cali, https://www.rogerkrausracing.net/files/34184291.pdf.

Dougie