• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What kind of paint....

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jamestowndistributors also has free shipping in orders over $50 through 4/22.

After a lot of reading (I travel for a living and spend a lot of nights in hotels), I've decided it is probably not practical to spray in in my environment. I have an attached garage with no windows. My garage door is on the rear of the house with the driveway sandwiched between the pool and a wooden fence. Even if i paint outside, I'm fearful of paint getting on my stuff or my neighbors stuff.

So, since I'm going to be rolling I've narrowed the choices down to Rustoleum or Brightside. The costs between the two will be similar. Brightside is more per quart but will not need hardener, MS, and penetrol; Just the interlux thinner. I think Brightside will be tougher paint, but rustoleum comes in more colors.

If Rustoleum it will be Regal Red which is one shade darker than bright red. Brightside only has Fire Red, hard to tell what that is just looking online. I could do something crazy and use the Brightside
YELLOW.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Brightside does require Primer however over Bare Metal.
Regular Automotive type Primer?
How about some sort of HiFill Primer?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
4 Coats of Rustoleum on Bugsy took just about a Qt..I thinned at 50% with Mineral Spirits. All was over exisiting paint or primered. Bugsy was BRG and repainted with Gloss Hunter Green, a pretty close match. 4 coats green over green got me pretty good coverage. Red over Red likely the same. Interlux Brightsides has 4-5 different shades of White available. Everything from a White/White, Bluish White, and a White/Tan. Closest to OEW is likely the White/Tan I think. Anyone know? I want something that pops with a Cherry Red interior.

David, do you know if Interlux needs to be thinned like Rustoleum if rollling? I need to go out and read the blogs on Interlux.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim
You can use a little MS or interlux thinner, up to about 10%. You can roll it on thicker than Rustoleum because it layes down better, so depending on thickness you could get away with about three coats. Here is white/white on my hard top. It is really white!

David
I have a picture of a test area that I used Brightside red. It is a beautiful color and will be using it to paint my MGA. I will get it for you this evening.
Paul

3385568899_a7e6402cfc.jpg

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IMG_0182[1].jpgHere is a single coat of the Brightside paint I did more than 1 year ago having been in the barn for the last year. I could send you a swatch from the pint I got if you would like to get a really good look at the paint.
Paul

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I could send you a swatch from the pint I got if you like to get a really good look at the paint.
Paul

I appreciate the offer, but I think i'm OK with it.

I stopped by Tractor Supply today. They have a new line of Tractor paint called Majic. The have a good selection of "retro" colors, with several reds from the tractor companies. A gallon is about $30. They also have Majic brand hardener ($16) and reducer ($10). the reducer is specified for spraying. The paint can be used on bare metal. Below is a list of the available Colors. I need to do more research on this brand, I'm really sold on Brightside as the best choice for rolling, but dissapointed in the color selection. I like Brightside's "fire red", but I think the sprite looks better in an older looking red like Rutoleums Merlot. Strange thing about the merlot is that I have seen it in stores - spray only - but it is not on the rustoleum web site.

majictractorpaint.PNG

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
David
No problem. I would agree it is not as retro in color choice. Hesston Red woud look the part. I think some ace hardware stores can blend an enamel for you. I think a hardener would be great, pot life would be short if you roll it on. Look at the toxicity if you spray. I rolled on a two part epoxy Napa primer to protect my MGA. I would not skip on a good primer for your base and make sure they are compatable with your color coat.

Paul

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David
No problem. I would agree it is not as retro in color choice. Hesston Red woud look the part. I think some ace hardware stores can blend an enamel for you. I think a hardener would be great, pot life would be short if you roll it on. Look at the toxicity if you spray. I rolled on a two part epoxy Napa primer to protect my MGA. I would not skip on a good primer for your base and make sure they are compatable with your color coat.

Paul

Paul,

I gave up on the idea of spraying. 2 car attached garage with no windows is really not suitable for spraying. I wonder if Brightside can be tinted? Or Maybe add to dark blue or black to the red???

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That's a call the factory thing and then if you dented 3-4 years down the road, issue with color match. I called up the factory and ordered a Brightside Color chart. Monitor does not render the colors correctly. Paul's hardtop is coming out a light shade of lavender instead of white.

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim, did you get the color chart yet? I decided to go white as well. I'm thinking matterhorn white. The jamestowndistributors.com free shipping promo ends tomorrow. I can by the stuff locally (about 30 miles away) for $46 a quart or it is $33 at jamestowndistributors.com with free shipping and no tax.

I might make the trek tomorrow to get a color chart. I want something a shade under pure white. Their off-white looks too yellow, hoping matterhorn white will be good.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Not yet David, maybe Monday. I do know there are coupons available for Jamestown Distributors on line.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
What are you planning to use as Primer underneath?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yep sounds like the ticket. They definitely will be compatible. How about Interlux Primer Compatibility with things like Bondo or Evercoat High Build Filler. Any issues?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Tractor paint will probably not roll. But the Brightside I've used on boats does go on silky smooth if done right. If you go to the nearest sailboat harbor you'll see it on metal, fiberglass and wood boats, very durable and easy to sand and recoat years from now.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes but I will need to go over bare metal. Time to look at their Tech Documnets on Bare Metal and Primer Recommendations,

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes but I will need to go over bare metal. Time to look at their Tech Documents on Bare Metal and Primer Recommendations,

I got a note last night from another member doing the same thing. He recommended to check out Pettit and Epifanes brands of boat paint. They both have lines of 1-part urethane paint with more colors than brightside.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jiim
Bare metal interlux Epoxy Primekote (or any good 2 part epoxy primer) followed by Pre-Kote. Painted surfaces Interlux Pre-Kote
Paul