• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Velocity Stack Covers

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Team,

I've got a pair of good old fashioned "velocity stacks" on the SUs on my 100 Le Mans (see photo with my signature), and I'm slightly worried about the engine ingesting dirt, dust, birds, domestic pets, etc. Other than doing something tacky like covering them with athletic socks and wrapping them with tape so that they don't ingest the socks, anyone got any cleaver, effective, cosmetically appealing ideas for adding at least a little bit of air intake screening/filtering? TIA.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Unless you will only be driving the car where there absolutely NO dust, there is no substitute for a "good" filter. Ingested dust will cause surprisingly fast ring wear.

If the stacks are for show only, use good filters for driving & put the stacks on for show.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Reid, take a look on the forum. I saw a couple of neat functional filter designs for the stacks presented here. I think it appeared on the MG or the Triumph forum within the last month.--- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif--Keoke

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
There is a foam sock available that a racing friend has and sells. They are made for the stacks need and are exactly what you need(light green foam). I'll be going to shop night Thursday night and get the info for you on Friday. I wouldn't drive it unless you are going to be on an absolutly dustfree drive. I bought a pair for a friend a couple months ago, $16.00 each.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
kc...not to confuse the issue but I remember another link somewhere warning about foam...it can catch fire if the carbs burp...I did see a fine wire mesh cover somewhere but I guess the foam is still better than just open sucking in the environment....

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
These are the socks that Prather Racing uses, and I'd be suprised that they would burn unless the complete engine bay was on fire, then I'd think they would more likely melt. They are a very good filter and they do breath with little resistance to the carbs.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
I may also be interested...I've got a couple old classic chrome stacks as well that I'd love to put back on...

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,

what some manufacturers do (I don't know if there is sufficient room in an Austin Healey's engine bay) is to enclose the ram pipes in a ducting which is the coupled to an air filter, (usually paper) thus giving the small benefit of a smoother intake and reduction of engine wear due to foreign body damage. Does nothing for the 'appearance' though!

Alec

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Went over to Prathers shop for shop night last night and talked to kent about the stack foam socks and he said to just call and he would ship. Telephone no, 785 836 2265, and they are $16.00 each. The thing really interesting last night is that they had a beautiful twin cam MGA motor on the dyno ready to run this morning. I do think some people have more fun.

tontonene

Country flag
I am using velocity stacks on my 100. I found filters at K and N. These fit over the stack lip and stay in place without any fastners. The filter I used has a 3" diameter rubber flange and a 5" overall diameter. They do not interfere with the shroud. I have photos, but do not know how to add to this post. You can contact me at tontonene@yahoo.com and I can send.
Regards,
Kip N.