• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HS2 velocity stacks

One of the problems I have with HS2s, is there isn't any real nice velocity stack available, well any that are user friendly anyway. For the most part you have these backplate/frontpalte air fliter set ups, that have fastners runing inside air filter flow, and if you need to get in there and work on the carbs, you have to pull that whole abomination out of the way. What many of use racing twin HS4s on 1275 race engine in SCCA have doen for years is use the HS4/MGB factory velocity stack which is 3.5" OD, attach via counter sunk/bore fastners directly to the carb front and then run a universal K&N filter on the factory stack, the K&N filter has a rubber base that just slips over the 3.5 OD and is hel on with a simple clamp, which is supplied with the K&N cone filter. OK, with that being said I, in the last years made a batch of CNC radiused velocity stacks for the HS6 carbs, used very commonly oon the MGBs in vintage and SCCA racing, those all got gone like hotcakes, in the back of my mind I thought the HS2s guys need the same thing. It flows good, Vizard recognize this set up as the flowing shape and length, and in 2 secong you can pull the ait fliter out of the way, so no set up is more user friendly. Now I not breaking any ground here, I made some on-off before for the HS2, so has Huffaker, and many others, but it always seems these deals are done in short production runs, and when it done and there gone, thats it. Well the punchline is I'm getting ready to do a run of these, and anyone who may be interested might want a set would need to contact me.

In the photos below, I have Ray Mccalebs, freshly done HS2 set, and I'm holding the HS6 CNC stack we made up aginst one the carb throats, so a little imagination will be requires. What I want to do is have the ID of them made to match a stock unmodified HS2 carb opeing, and with the HS2, you have only one vent hole, so there will be fornt and rear units, and asl because of the threads in the HS2, we would counter bore for mounting hardware on the fornt, it would be the same 3.5 OD, so we could use the K&N Filter, which fit niocely in a Spridget's engine bay with no trouble, I have ran this set up on my race cars in the past. So here have a look, and,let me know what you think. I'm not really palnning on stocking these, so it's one of those things you get in on the production run or you may not get a set.

Attachments

• 15812.jpg
    15812.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 766
  • 15813.jpg
    15813.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 733
OP
Hap Waldrop
OK, here's a set of the HS6 units on a set of race carbs I built, and aslo a picture of my personal MGB with the K&N cone filters on the HS4s, the same filter this set would use.

Attachments

• 15814.jpg
    15814.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 688
  • 15815.jpg
    15815.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 654

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Count me in for a set, Hap. I've got that nice motor and fresh, clean carbs you did for me.

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful
Put me on the list as well. I've got a recently refurbished set of HS2s that they would look fine on. I like the K&N filter arrangement!

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Hap-
I am in as well...then soon we will get you to also do a engine build too!

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice. For those who don't run stacks already, GET SOME!

Let me say it again.. GET SOME!!

There is a hill that is a part of one of my regular "runs". One day I made the run and going up the hill I had to downshift from 4th to 3rd to make it up. The very next day, essentially the same atmospheric conditions, I installed a set of stub stacks (I got 'em off Ebay from, as it turned out Joe Huffaker!) inside K&N DEEP (3") filters. When I went up the hill I ACCELERATED in 4th gear.

As an aside, I now have stub stacks instead of the 1 1/2" tall ones which sit on my shelf. Waiting.

Hap is correct about the hassle but with the arrangement I have now it's just a matter of pulling the filter. The back plate can stay in place and so can the stubs when tuning the carbs.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Hap and I had a lengthy discussion about this item, in conjunction with the carb rebuild, when he finished my engine build. I had drooled over the ones he made for the larger carbs and REALLY wanted a set for the new 1275.

Last week when Hap called to say the carbs were ready, we went back to that discussion. First set off this run is mine!!!

I have a pair of the spun stacks that were available for a while (you can see the ones I'm talking about here):

https://www.raysmg.com/Web%20Images/Edite...07/P1010020.jpg

They did not look right, but more importantly did not fit right...additional machining would be required. Not to mention that once fitted, what to do about filtration? The standard solution were the foam "socks", but to keep the socks from crushing down during hard acceleration you had to insert a rolled piece of perforated metal. Now that metal (filter plate) to metal (stack) is really going to do a number on the polish job you worked so hard to put on those stacks...NOT a solution in my mind.

So, when Hap mentioned that he might consider doing a run, I jumped (and wrote a check). The spun stacks and socks I already have go up on Ebay soon; for what they cost, you'd be well on your way to buying the set made by Hap.

I'm sold!

Ray

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As an interesting side note, the ones from Huffaker are the only ones I've ever seen that have a channel for the "relief" hole fed from inside the stack, instead of just a hole in the base. They also have a built in "rock screen". Not enough to stop particulates, but big enough to stop a 1/4-20 nut. ...

Hap, any idea how much yours are going to cost? Or is it dependent upon the size of the run?

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
I'm interested...

Now I just need to decide how many sets to request...

-Bear-

chrpark

very interested, too. was planning on the judson supercharger to replace the HS2's but wondering about the $/HP tradeoff... and why trash a perfectly good set of HS2s if there's a good intake/filter option available? wonder what Vizard would say

OP
Hap Waldrop
Well, looks like you guys are interested, as soon as I get more details (a week or two)I let you all know.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Hap, These are the stacks I made. A note of caution; I had to machine the OD of the stacks at the angle that the carbs sit on the manifold to allow the hood to close with the K&N's attached. If I left the OD parallel to the ID the hood would not close. I can send you the drawings I created in PDF form if you like. I ran them on one of my Okuma CNC lathes.

Attachments

• 15820.jpg
    15820.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 520

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Second Pic

Attachments

• 15821.jpg
    15821.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 575

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Completely assembled

Attachments

• 15822.jpg
    15822.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 584

pakiwi

Hap,
I would be interested in more info on these. Just working on teh Carbs now, then get to tune them for the first time ever.
Tks
Allan

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With all the interest, my opinion will be just another log onna fire here, but: Anyone with HS2's should JUMP on Hap's offer. Those contoured stacks will be a noticeable improvement even on a rock-stock setup. Much better flow at entry, no transitional disturbance. Great little improvement to volumetric efficiency.

Elegant!
:thumbsup:

OP
Hap Waldrop
Dadandson said:
Hap, These are the stacks I made. A note of caution; I had to machine the OD of the stacks at the angle that the carbs sit on the manifold to allow the hood to close with the K&N's attached. If I left the OD parallel to the ID the hood would not close. I can send you the drawings I created in PDF form if you like. I ran them on one of my Okuma CNC lathes.

Sure, I'd take you up on that.