• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Upgraded Rear Axle Advice for '59 BE - Question

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
This summer I'll be putting in a 1275 engine, a Datsun 5 speed transmission and a 3.9 Diff into my Bugeye.

I'm concerned with breaking rear axles - though luckily I've never done it before. But as long as I'm replacing the diff it would probably be a good time to upgrade the axles.

I've got the standard rear drum setup now. Questions is who makes an upgraded axle that's just a swap with the existing ones? I've read about needing double bearings with some axles...but maybe that's just for wire wheels. I've got non-wires.

Thanks....

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Heh heh. Bruce plans on going raceing. Rear axles break from age and agressive use. Otherwise they are preaty tough for street use.

Moss has tough ones, I supose they all come from the same place though. They are identical but for special steel I understand.

JP_Furble

Bruce,

That's exactly the set up I run in my BE, and unless you are planning on smoking...er chirping the tires on a regular basis you should have no problems.

JPF

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Jack,

Me....break the law. Just remember the posted speed limits are only the suggested minimums!

I'll take a look at the Moss axles. Thanks for the info.

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Bruce,

While I'm gathering knowledge to rebuild a somewhat more powerful 1275 for my '68, the thought of upgrading the axle has crossed my mind a couple times. From my experience with the Jeep (XJ), where upgrading axle's is as common as the sunrise, I've seen and read that bigger tires, aka more rotating mass, are what in reality break axle's. Axle shafts on the other hand can be snapped pretty easily by applying too much torque.

I think a bunch of people have had great success with the moss 2 piece axle shafts (that I believe Jack is talking about). Personally, if you're the adventurous type like me, I'm not even going to bother upgrading the axle shafts until they break. There always has to be a weakest link somewhere, just know that they are available if you start breaking shafts left and right.

-Ben

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, I would not upgrade till I had broken one for sure. Guess it's the scotch in me.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Jack, you shouldn't be driving after than much scotch!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ah shucks, I just set behind the wheel and make varoom sounds along with a beep beep now and then.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Ah, but Jack, the question is what kind of scotch?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JW Black of course. Is there some other kind?

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Good man Jack, good man. Love the black, but I am too cheap, so typically it's the red.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
If you note the axles you take out of your bugeye on the spline end have no marking. The axles you take out of the 3.9 have a groove about a 1/2" from the end on the splined end. They are the stronger axle. I haven't broke them after several years of usage. You will love your conversion. Good luck!!!!!