• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ultimate "Modern" Roadster?

Bret

Yoda
Well I was on my way up to LA from San Diego this morning and I sited what I consider to be the "Ultimate Roadster". I was on I5 working my way up to the Laguna Hills hwy 73 (toll road) bypass to the 405. (Due to the high income ratio of the nearby residents, this is a great place to spot really expensive cars BTW) I was still on the five when a gorgeous BMW Z8 pulled on to the freeway and just cruised along side of me for about 10 miles.

What an “absolute stunner”! I swear there is not one bad line anywhere on that car. She was bright silver and had a nice hard top that complimented the overall style of the car very well. In fact the top didn’t look like an after thought like so many roadster hard tops do.

While I like some of the older BMWs, I’ve never really been a huge fan of the modern Bemmers. But I really like the Z3 and I kind of like the Z4 (well lets just say its starting to grow on me), but the Z8 is probability one of my top favorite modern performance machines.

Steve_S

Yoda
Bret, you and I are in a sort of minority. Many people don't care so much for the Z8, but personally I find it to be one of the most incredibly beautiful cars of all time. When they are 25 years old, I will definately be buying one dirt cheap for restoration.

catfood

Jedi Knight
Steve,

Do you think anyone will be able to restore modern cars in 25 years time, what with all the electronics and plastic mouldings that will need replacing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Actually this will probably make an interesting discusiion. Think I'll go and start a new thread in the Pub.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the year 2025...

Steve

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
The Z8 is s great car and I think great looking. Doubt they will be dirt cheap since only made a few years but who knows?

I too have wondered how restorations, if any, will be done with all that plastic. Someone may have a machine by then that just pops any shape out, any color.

Bruce

G

I've always loved the Z8, an absolutely beautiful car from every side and performance to match. There is a guy who owns one near a local watering hole that we frequent here from work on our lunch time. Whenever we go to that place I see it parked on a little side street, nice weather only of course. This one is silver also. If you had one you to could be like Mr. Bond. Here's another point of discussion, as much as I love Bimmers I can't seem to get past Mr. Bond driving german cars. I was so glad to see him go back to an Aston in the last movie, and the Vanquish no less. Now that is a car!

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Speaking of Mr. Bond, what does everyone think of the new one? I admit I'm having trouble with a 'blonde Bond' (and I'm blonde!)

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
A friend of mine (who used to own the Seattle BMW dealership) has a Z8. He took it on a club cruise last year and had to turn around because the Z8 started having problems.

Despite the "German Engineering" marketing gimmick, tragically BMWs have never been very reliable cars. The 3 series has become fairly reliable, but the 7,5 (and certainly the old 8 and 6)Series have been traditionally tough and expensive to maintain.

I would also argue that there simply are much better roadsters out there in different price ranges.

The Boxster, Corvette, Miata and Ferrari 360 Spider I think are all superior cars in many ways. Each have their own little downfalls, but they are all pretty amazing vehicles. I do happen to like the M3 convertible, but it's quite a bit of dough (and it isn't a roadster, by the fact it has four seats.)

Steve_S

Yoda
Well, I've owned two beemers now adn both have been incredibly reliable. I had a 1988 735i which never let me down until after 14 years the torque converter seal went out. That's the only time it was ever towed.

Our current 2000 528i has also been completely trouble-free. I'm a bug fan of these cars now even though I never was before my old 735, which I bought used in the 90's.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Came out of our fave downtown pub grub place and there was a silver Lamborghini Gallardo next to the upscale restaurant next door. Now, THAT is a stunning piece of go-fast...have no idea what the $$$'s are to own one, doubt I could even handle the sales tax.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I am just listening but I go along with SammyB---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

theinferno

[ QUOTE ]
silver Lamborghini Gallardo next to the upscale restaurant next door. Now, THAT is a stunning piece of go-fast...have no idea what the $$$'s are to own one, doubt I could even handle the sales tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gifyea they are beutiful, its too bad that there are cheeper cars out there that can outperform them, and i think they are around $250k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

G

Not that much - you can get a murcie for about that for cash. A gallardo is closer to $170k.

I still prefer the diablo though.

G

I'm an old fashioned kinda guy when it comes to Lambos, give me a Miura anyday.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Never been a fan of Lamborghinis – not my cup of Joe I guess.

Besides not to be a nit picker – but while a Roadster can be a supper/sports car, not all supper/sports cars can be Roadsters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

theinferno

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an old fashioned kinda guy when it comes to Lambos, give me a Miura anyday.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif i would also like to see what a jalpa, sihloette, or countach, can do. or the countach platform sharing beast, the vector w8 (chevy power! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif).

G

How about the Vector M12, lambo V12 power! Theres one up for auction on Ebay right now.

theinferno

:0 really?! i whish i had some doghe (money spelled wrong)!

theinferno

speaking of ultimate modern raodsters, i think my post about three wheelers has some merit here. the t rex is a good example (if you forget about the single rear wheel). it handles, its light in weight, its open air, and it gets great gas milage.