• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modern accoutrements

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok so I'm reading the posts about adding cruise controls and power windows etc etc . Whats next power trunk release, central locking ,power sunroof in a hard top, power folding soft top and if someone adds AC I'm gonna puke !!!! . C'mon people its a HEALEY quit trying to turn into a Mazda 3 . Part of the fun is how basic it is . How boring can it be to sit on the highway with the cruise on ? Go find some twisty roads and turn it loose , I cant even remember the last time I put the top up or the windows . I didn't buy a convertible to drive around with the top and windows up . And I certainly DO NOT want any modern accoutrements spoiling the perfection of owning a classic Austin Healey ..

OK rant over :eagerness::encouragement:

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Funny, but when the BJ7 came out the diehards thought no real sportscar should have a convertible top and roll-up windows.

It's amazing how tarted up and soft a BJ8 is compared to a BN1.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeh, keep em pure. But after having an MGA as my daily driver back in the 70's I said I would never own a car again without roll up windows. That's actually the Only reason I haven't built a Cobra Rep during all these years. Really. But now in my Golden years, i'm thinking cruise control might be a necessity. After about 2 hours in the Healey my right hip is killing me. That trip to Vermont would have taken about a week in the Healey just to let my hip rest. As it turned out it still took 10.5 hours in the Vette. My cruise control for the Healey is going to keep it pure and simple... a long, thin stick with some notches cut into it to wedge between the accelerator pedal and the seat frame. :smile: Dave.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Funny, but when the BJ7 came out the diehards thought no real sportscar should have a convertible top and roll-up windows.

We were out for a days drive this late summer and we ended up having a late dinner out and driving home in the dark . It had been a gorgeous sunny day but once the sun went down it got chilly in a hurry . When we left the restaurant my better half asked "can we put the top" My answer "sure go ahead your wearing a hoodie"
Later in the drive she said "my legs are getting cold" my answer "reach in the back seat there's a blanket roll" by the time we go home it was around 9.30 pitch dark and about 50 degrees . My fingers and ears were quite cold but I never put the top or windows up "sorry honey it aint happenin" ... It was a great end to a beautiful day out in the Healey . :eagerness::D;)

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
and if someone adds AC I'm gonna puke !!!!

I hear what you're saying, but AC was an option when new. Mine came with a heater, which was also an option.:rolleye:

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It is, as the cliche goes "a slippery slope", and each person has to find the point where they're comfortable on that slope. I tend to side with the "keep 'em original" idea, but I added a lot of heat shielding to my car, and I opted for the electronic SU fuel pump and flasher relay. True purists would be horrified, but I'm happy with the compromise between originality and functionality that I have chosen. I also like the crude functionality of side screens and a leaky top; it's just part of the whole experience of driving one of these cars.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Some restore Healey's to concours level, while others are happy with their patina cars that are still on the road. In between are the cars we drive. Some people like to have "modern accoutrements" in their older cars. To each their own.

I'm happy to see these cars on the road and enjoy talking to the owners and the stories they have about their car.

I haven't change the performance, suspension of my Healey. Drives and handles just like it did back in the 60's. I did add some convenience items, in a stealth way. If interested, here's my video.

Last edited:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Very nice AUSMHLY, Very Nice.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm also a purist when it comes to classic car restoration but I find it interesting that when it comes to historical building restoration things like central HVAC, modern wiring, and plumbing are acceptable.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm also a purist when it comes to classic car restoration but I find it interesting that when it comes to historical building restoration things like central HVAC, modern wiring, and plumbing are acceptable.

Speaking as someone who owns a historic home (on the national register) and who restored said home, I think I can provide an answer (at least for my case). I take my car out for a few hours once a week or so in nice weather. I can survive a few hours of discomfort in the name of having the 'experience'. I live in my home 24/7 through the depths of winter and the peaks of summer. Modern heat and air conditioning are pretty much a necessity. Modern wiring too, assuming you want to use the toaster and the microwave at the same time without burning the house down. My house was built before indoor plumbing; I won't even bother with my thoughts on using an outhouse. But, as was said earlier in this thread, to each his own. I would never criticize someone who was a stickler for historical accuracy when restoring a home.

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A/C ? **** I'm happy that My luxo BJ8 has the the package tray that holds 2 cases of beer because I never use the back seat. That makes it as practical as any grocery getter I know.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I must admit I like some of the things AUSMHLY has done , very subtle and if you didnt know or look for them you would be none the wiser . I dont understand the need for fancy stereo systems though .
You have the London Philharmonic Orchestra playing out of the exhaust for every second you are driving why spoil it by drowning it out with music from a stereo ?? JMHO

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I took mine over to a friend's house Monday night for a dinner party. My friend drives a Prius. I told him the Healey was the anti-Prius. None of those "modern conveniences" like roll-up windows, AC, power steering, quiet, etc. He loved going for a ride, though!

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I must admit I like some of the things AUSMHLY has done , very subtle and if you didnt know or look for them you would be none the wiser . I dont understand the need for fancy stereo systems though .
You have the London Philharmonic Orchestra playing out of the exhaust for every second you are driving why spoil it by drowning it out with music from a stereo ?? JMHO

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For me, much of the appeal of these cars has to do with maintaining the charm of the original design. I suppose that if someone does not have memories of how these cars should be, they might view modifications more favorably.

We recently bought a '61 3000, for the most part restored to original specs. I had not driven a Healey since selling the 100-6 decades ago. Taking the 3000 on the first drive a few weeks ago brought a big smile to my face, a smile that stayed there for hours. The Healey exhaust sound was amazing; I had forgotten how great that sound is. And the feeling of flipping the overdrive switch, when the engine began to strain, and then feeling the car accelerate effortlessly again - felt as good as it did when I was 19.

The radial tires on the 3000 handle the curves on our local winding road better than the old tires on the 100-6 ever did. I suppose that is a modification, but one that makes sense. Heat shielding, to keep cockpit temperatures down on a warm day, also would make sense. Beyond that, original is just fine. If it doesn't look, drive, feel, and sound like an original Austin Healey, what's the point?

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
yep the Healey exhaust note is something that is quite unique .
On another exhaust note I just bought a 2007 AM V8 Vantage which I am expecting to get my driving hands on very soon . I was on youtube listening to V8 Vantages on the road and the exhaust note for that gives me goosebumps . Dont think the stereo will get used much in that car.:encouragement::cool:;)

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Ah Obi Wan, we are not worthy of the beauty of your BJ8 !!! Have seen the video before and still blown away by the detail and execution of your improvements !
Regards,
Mike