• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modern Fuel Shut-off for Our TRs?

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello Everyone,
I'd like to have a fuel cutoff valve somewhere after the tank that I can use when doing anything to the fuel system. I know S-T dropped this handy item during the TR3 run, but I would think there are modern valves that would be easy to insert and would not drip - maybe inline under the car rather than under the hood. Has anyone tried this?
My ideal setup would be something that would both shutoff and have a position to drain the fuel from the tank.
Thanks for any ideas/experience,
John

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check Bobby's site in the TBI fuel tank section.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
JohnnyMead said:
Hello Everyone,
I'd like to have a fuel cutoff valve somewhere after the tank that I can use when doing anything to the fuel system. I know S-T dropped this handy item during the TR3 run, but I would think there are modern valves that would be easy to insert and would not drip - maybe inline under the car rather than under the hood. Has anyone tried this?
My ideal setup would be something that would both shutoff and have a position to drain the fuel from the tank.
Thanks for any ideas/experience,
John

These little valves are available through industrial suppliers such as WW Grainger, etc.
Here's an example fitted to a TR3A.

P1020353-r1s.jpg

P1020381-r1s.jpg

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
you could try looking for something at a local motor bike/atv shop. i installed one in my 6 just before the fuel filter. no leaks, no troubles. it does not have a provision for draining fuel, though but that would be handy.

OP
JohnnyMead

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the ideas. I've been thinking about this and was motivated by my wife discovering gasoline under the Triumph. I thought the fuel level was low enough in the tank for what I was working on, but it dribbled out.

G

Needle nose vise grips on the rubber hose? Sorry- Im old school. No plastic fuel filter on my cars.I still like looking in the glass bowl.Honey!!!!! Get me a 3\8 bolt. NOW! NO,I cant get it my self!!!!! No!!!!! that's 1\2'' Gas in your arm pit really burns!!!!! Real mans deodorant...... Any humor in this???

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Johnny - To drain the tank on my 1958 TR3A, I removed the hex head drain plug under the tank and with some short lengths of regular galvanized pipe and elbows, I installed these and put a commercial ball valve on the bottom end. I made sure that the gas that I drain will not splash anywhere on the rear axle, springs, etc. It drains straight down into a large tray with very little splashing - hence very little odour. I also made sure that the ball valve would be closed with the handle in the horizontal position. To drain the tank, I have to push the lever handle upwards. This will make sure that the handle will stay down (closed) when I'm bumping along a rough road.

I still have the original "petrol stop-cock" beside my fuel pump. It came with the car when new in May 1958. I rarely use it because it's so hard to move it to turn it off or open up the fuel line. I have the seal inside very tight so it won't leak but this makes it hard to turn on and/or off.

Attachments

• 20680.jpg
    20680.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 248

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have the same as Bobby. Unfortunately ,IT DON'T FIT

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
For draining the tank, I just hook my spare Facet pump up and drop a line into the tank. The other end can go directly into another car's tank, if your hose is long enough. Not terribly fast, but neat and easy.