• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

For those of you that need the ultimate weapon

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Why do we need that - we've got JANEL!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay, the price is right for a one time use. I hate rusted bolts.

Bret

Yoda
I agree! Harbor Freight is a great place for disposable tools. If only if’n it’s something you don’t plan on keeping for long.

But I must say that my Milwaukie Sawsall is probably the best (translated as most fun) tool in my personal weapons’ arsenal.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Did someone say sawsall?

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Why the heck did I spend all that money for a Milwaukee? Oh yeah- I wanted it to work....more than a weekend.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Almost ashamed to say it here, but I bought one of those a while back, and have used it numerous times. Still working...

Mickey

PS- Tony and Aerog - need to move this to "Tools"...

Why not use the wal-mart rental program? The'll take anything back - lol!

Steve_S

Yoda
My personal tool philosophy:

If you need a tool once, borrow it.

If you need a tool twice, rent it.

If you need a tool three times, buy it.

Any if you need a tool badly enough to buy it, buy a good one.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Don't get me wrong, I've bought tools from Harbor Freight a few times, but the couple of times I got electric tools, I've been far less than impressed. The hand tools aren't half bad for me the weekend wrench.

Bret

Yoda
I guess my situation is a bit (um?) unique, compared to most folks.

There are times in the performance of my duties I might need a purchase a specific tool at the drop of a hat and there is a very real possibility that that tool will not get used more than once or twice a year if lucky. We’ve found that it is actually cheaper to just leave it on the site rather than haul it around.

Plus it helps the next guy who comes along who might be covering another engineer who is sick or on vacation, because the tool(s) is readily at hand rather than have to run out and purchase another.

This brings up another advantage of disposable tools. Should my employer have to send someone to cover for me or assist me because I have too many pots on the stove – that engineer is going to have to fly in. In that case we don’t have to worry about what to do with that tool when we’re done a job and just leave it with the system we worked on. Example rather than have to ship the tool home or having to figure out a way of packing it up & checking it at the airline ticket counter with his other regular tools. And for those of you who (like me) fly and/or travel a lot, all know. Added weight for travelers directly equates to added cost ($$$) & checked items can quickly add up should you be returning with more tools than you arrived with. Fact is sometimes it is far cheaper to just leave the tool behind & write it off.

The other advantage is that should any of these “disposable” tools grow legs and walk off – you’re not going to sweat it as much as you would if you’d shelled out a lot of clams for a top dollar equivalent.

I consider it all part of the cost of doing business.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Almost ashamed to say it here, but I bought one of those a while back, and have used it numerous times. Still working...

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but did you actually plug it in or just move it back and forth by hand?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Actually, I wasn't expecting much, but it's not that bad. Maybe I got lucky...

Mickey

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've bought several air tools from Harbor Freight - usually buy 2 because I know they won't last long...however, my original air sawzall is still working almost a year later & its replacement hasn't been out of the box...& I'm whacking all kinds of stuff off the GRM car

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
I bought a sawsall from Sears on sale. It works great and is one of the tools I wondered how I got along without. I do use HF to buy and cheap tool to try. If I like it and need it again I go and buy a good one.

Bruce L

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Only time I used a sawzall was to cut the metal that forms the back cab of a pickup truck (and the bed part too) for a friend of mine that built a monstrously huge stereo system. He wanted it done, but was afraid to do it himself. Wow is all I can say! Cutting up someone elses car when they ask you to is just WAY MORE than fun!

He used the walmart rental program. I couldn't do it myself, but alot of people do. Guess I'm too honest. I get a lot of flak for that too.

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Actually I have had DeWalt tools fail a few uses out of the box and they are supposed to be good. I have a Porter Cable sander whose sanding pad rotted away. Porter Cable was not interested in replacing it either.

Bruce

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm in the same category as Steve_S with regard to tool philosophy. Most of mine are the "buy it once" kind: Snap-On, MAC, Proto, Craftsman... I do have some "cow-tools" but not many. Hate to have to stop working for want of the proper tool, or one wot disintegrated on the second use. Down-side is the $$ I've tied up in "red fridge" stock... and I've three of THOSE as well.

Milwaukee sawzall too. 12" blade. uUH-uHhH!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif