• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Designing the ultimate budget Spridget

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Okay, if you found yourself on a modest budget, but wanted a quick street Spridget, what would you go for? Which model? What are the critical upgrades?

Would you find a scruffy 74 and just drive it? Would you go for a nice 65 and drop in a tuned motor? Get a ratty Bugeye and just enjoy the styling? Join the rubber-bumper club?

I ask because I've been living (as y'all know) with the 74 Midget and the Tunebug, and the styling of the square car is growing on me. I'm happy to have sold the 74 off, but it has gotten me thinking. Would I ever go square???

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Drew, I'm envious of the bugeye gang but they have escaped my price range. I'm a member of the rubber bumper crowd but have long since pulled the bumpers from the car. I guess if I ever do it again, I would either seek out a bugeye similar to your experience (I enjoyed the updates while you guys went to pick it up) or find a 65 or a 66 Sprite. For some reason those are my favorite. Hey when I decided to look for a British car, my first thought was to find a Spitfire so I guess you could say, I'm coming around.
JC

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I'm biased to RWA CB. I truly think that is the look that looks right on a Midget....However, to me, the BE is the one that never has to apologize for anything.
The BE with a well built 1275 and five speed is the perfect LBC, albeit a LJC tranny, it has everything.

That being said, there is a 68 Sprite for sale in town right now, and although driveable, would be a nightmare for a quick street spridget.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A BE that runs would be nice. Sigh.

Country flag
If trying to do a car on a budget that would have a balance of style and fun... I'd find a MkI Midget. It had the roadster look all sorted out. Then... of course I'd find a later model parts car to upgrade the MkI to disc brakes, 3.9, and a 1275.

I think I could be happy with a ribcase box for some time. But I would always jump at the opportunity to get a five speed in it.

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
A local guy here in North East Ohio has a 74 Midget with a Bugeye Bonnet. He said it gives him the round arches of a Bugeye, a functional trunk, disc brakes, 1275 engine and a rib case tranny plus roll up windows. In his opinion he has it all. I have to admit his car looks neat.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I supose he could do something intresting with the tail lights and rear bumper as well. That kind of detracts from the bugeye look.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I am hoping to build a budget-oriented "Rat Box-Spridget".
I like Bugeyes, but I am also pretty keen on Box-Spridgets.
I bought a fair but dirty, black RWA Midget with a decent 1275 for $250 a while back. The engine is out now and it will be rebuilt and used in my race Spridget.
The 1500 engine in the race car is fine (but not vintage legal) so I'll slip it in the RWA to power the Rat.
I figure I'll have $350 or so in my budget street Rat when it's done.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
jcatnite said:
Hey when I decided to look for a British car, my first thought was to find a Spitfire so I guess you could say, I'm coming around.
JC

I was after a Spitfire when I was first looking, as well. Just missed a really nice one down in Las Vegas by about a day. Sometimes I wonder if I'd still have it... I'd have saved a passel of money if I had!

I've recently developed a thing for MKII Midgets, actually. Another almost-bought-it was a RHD (yes, that again) '65, back when I was first looking in 2005. Should have done it, I bought the rusty TR4 instead, a mistake.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There was a picture on one of the forums last year of a lady that had a green RWA Spridget. Not only had the car been modified with a Bugeye bonnet but with a portion of a Bugeye rear clip as well. From the side the car looked like a BE with door handles. Even the slight difference in the windscreen didn't grab attention. From the rear it looked like a BE with a trunk. Best of all worlds? I have a 73 RWA Midget donor and a spare BE bonnet and have considered the same conversion.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy my '68 will become a '68 Bugeye eventually. Got the front hinge brackets all made just need to get the bonnet redone. Again a 1275, a trunk, windows that work, what more in the way of creature comforts could you ask for.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Maybe that is the way I should go for my next project.

Frank, those tail lights are really nice looking.

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
although I was daydreaming about a bugeye sprite with a speedwell front clip, tube shocks all around, a 1275, supercharger, 5 spd etc....

speedwell_lh85.jpg

dont know why but I just find that thing uber sexy

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That Speedwell front with the Bugeye rear almost makes it look Ferrari-ish, or at least Italian-ish. Maybe a bit of Alpha in the front end. Pretty...

bugimike

Yoda
Whitephrog said:
There was a picture on one of the forums last year of a lady that had a green RWA Spridget. Not only had the car been modified with a Bugeye bonnet but with a portion of a Bugeye rear clip as well. From the side the car looked like a BE with door handles. Even the slight difference in the windscreen didn't grab attention. From the rear it looked like a BE with a trunk. Best of all worlds? I have a 73 RWA Midget donor and a spare BE bonnet and have considered the same conversion.

The only problem with any of these modifieds is that they lack the one thing that really sets the BE apart in the way it drives and feels, and that is the 1/4 elliptic rear suspension!!! I would rather start with a BE chassis and add a trunk-lid and adapt roll-up-window doors to it, (even though this would go against my instincts and would mean botching up a perfectly good car to begin with!!).