• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ultimate TR?

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I realize the purists won't like it, but those of us who like 'improving' our car should enjoy answering this question:

How would you build your Ultimate TR?

I'll start: My Ultimate TR would start with an aluminum TRS body from Revington placed on a custom IRS chassis with the TVR Speed Six drivetrain, 4 wheel disc brakes, leather seats and (of course) a wooden dash with full compliment of instruments. Sound system? The tail pipe of course!

Who's next?

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
While I am certainly not a purist, it seems to me that your vision, nice as it might be, would not be a Triumph, but a very well done home built.

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Hey Andy,

That is pretty sweet, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Andy,

That is pretty sweet, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah! I wish potentially salvageable Herald and Vitesse saloons were a bit more readily available...and that I had some funds to deal with them. I've long contemplated something along the lines of a "stretch" Herald, although not nearly to the extreme of CC's version. "Mine" would consist of no more than four doors and one extra row of seating, much like a typical Cadillace Fleetwood 75 limo.

On the other hand, and continuing on the topic of Ultimate Triumphs, there's a rough but restorable Triumph Renown Limousine on eBay right now (one of about 189 produced, although the listing incorrectly describes a larger total production). At the moment, I can't get to eBay to provide a link, but a search under "Triumph" in eBay Motors, "Passenger Vehicles" should find it.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The ultimate TR to me would be the TR3 with the overhead cam Sabrina engine used at LeMans.

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
My ultimate TR would be any Triumph that would just keep on going, and going, and going...like the Energizer bunny...:smile:

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My TR would be the 6 with Datsun 280 rearend and disc brakes, the Rover 3.5 V8 and five speed, with the Triumph valve covers, and if this won't go fast enough, you have a problem.

Wayne

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I'd just be happy with my TR3 with just about any modern, fuel injected, 16 valve engine making about 130-180 hp (eg Ford, Chev, Mazda, Toyota, VW). Relatively trouble free and it should fly!

trboost

Jedi Trainee
My ultimate TR would have a TR6 body on a Corvette C5 custom tubular chassis. Check attatchment.

God only knows I'm not a purist , and even though I wet myself thinking about a rumbeling LS2 under my hood, there is something about modifying the origianl components to out perform what they were designed to do.

A good friend of mine recently finished a 240Z V8 swap. This car is the fastest thing I have ever been in, hands down ! It's apeal is obvious, but I still think an engine bay with a modified Z motor, that far exceeds it's original potential is very cool in it's own way.

The popularity of making small displacement motors & under developed chassis's do things far beyond their capabilities is what has driven the developement of the sports car from the begining & has carried through to the import explossion of today's young race enthousiasts. The trend shows no sign of slowing down. Thirty years after the demise of the british Triumph, Sprite & MG, performance parts are hotter than ever. Superchargers are being offered for cars that haven't been produced for over 30 years.
I hope it never ends.

Attachments

• 140567-TRassorted102.JPG
    140567-TRassorted102.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 162
OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I admit the Corvette/TR looks like it would be an awesome ride! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

It's pretty much obvious that I'm not a purist, but I will admit that one of the things that appeals to me about a TR is that 'Traditional Roadster' setup - in-line 6-cylinder, manual trans, rear wheel drive. Don't get me wrong, I love V8s(had a Hemi-powered GTX at one point!) That being said, updates/upgrades in any of those departments is fair game in my book.

I just wish my TR4A had a six /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... and at some point I'm sure it will (which six is anybody's guess at this point!)

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
HEY,i'm on the slow road to building MY ultimate triumph. Here's the build sheet:
-1962 tr4 Original colours:brg exterior,red with white piping seat covers and panels, white dash, white roll bar,white soft top
-roller rockers(harland sharpe)
-alternator conversion
-modern starter
-thin belt conversion with harmonic dampener
-ported head @ 10:1 compression (pump gas 94 chevron)
-dellortos(twin side drafts)
-electronic distributor (lucas lotus part)
-crane msd electronic ignition module with built in rev limiter
-nitrided crank, cam, rocker shaft, oil pump shaft
-carillo rods
-89mm pistons
-aluminum radiator with electric fan
-remote oil cooler with thermostat
-1992 toyota supra 5-spd transmission(dellow automotive australia adaptor)
-tilton brake pedal assembly with balance bar(twin brake masters)
-wilwood dyna-pro 4-pot calipers (dust boots included)
-.81" 11" dia vented brake rotors with aluminum hats(wilwood)
-aluminum rear brake drums
-phantom grip limited slip diff
-racetorations front hubs(aluminum)
-southwick machine rear axles
-revington adjustable anti roll bars 1"front 5/8" rear
-poly and nitralon bushings
-revington upper a-arm relocation mount
-avo front shocks, adjustable
-smithies rear shock upgrade (australia)
-widened original steel wheels with hub caps (get offsets perfect and still have stock appearing wheels with correct number of holes,tr6 wheels have more holes)
-custom made perfectly equal length header.by me
-ceramic coatings on headers, pistons, combustion chamber, exhaust port
-ss thin stem valves
-titanium valve retainers
-schubeck ceramic lifters
-completely stock appearing from the outside, almost (a little develish under the hood)
-custom made seats to look similar to originals (but actually fit with support and cumfort)by me
-lots of other tricks not mentioned.
***if i win the lotto-----electromotive efi and crank trigger ignition.
rob

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Hey Rob, that sounds like a killer TR - if I keep my 4-banger that sounds like what I'd do with it, except I think I'd go with PRI's quad-carb setup. At one point I tried to work out a quad SU setup, but couldn't make it fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
This may not be the ultimate, but it comes pretty close to what I like.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was your website that got me thinking about what my ultimate TR would be! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How's that coming along Dan?

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
for me the sound of a v8 in a tr just doesn't fit.

swift6

Yoda
Totally subjective question here and it seems as if more than a few of us have well thought out ideas about our "Ultimate TR's". I know I have some for my TR6.

I'm still getting to know my TR8 and love the sound and thrust of the V-8. So I am in the process of formulizing it's evolution.

I have to agree with trfourtune to a point about the V-8 sound. I really enjoy the sound of the TR6's inline six engine and if it were missing from my TR6 I feel that it would somehow be lacking some of its soul. I'll be getting my V-8 thrills through my TR8.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Shawn,
I read over you article in 6Pack about your track expieriance & I think you have found the balance . The ultimate TR is not only the car but how you use it, and you know how to use it.