• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trunion

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm starting the suspension rebuild tonight and came across something rather disturbing I hadn't picked up on before. On the right side I noticed two nuts on top of the kingpin at the top trunion. The regular style nut is on the bottom, and a nylock is on top. None of the diagrams nor the parts catalog show this configuration. This is also the side that had more camber and wore the tire down to steel treads on the inside. The left side does not have this setup.

What reasons would someone have to set it up that way?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, that is not standard. Early style was a single castle nut and later style was a nylock.

Check carefully and see if the lower threads are not striped or something.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
However, that said as long as the tension on the trunion bearing, that flat bronze kind of fat washer, is correct all should be OK unless it has also been bent.

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well the A arm is down and I've got the trunion off the kingpin. The bushing was so badly worn part of the metal insert had become integrated with the bolt. The rubber had ripped apart.

I'm giving up for the evening. Tomorrow I hope to get the A arm off.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Two nuts on the Kingpin is insurance. I used the new style nylok on the bottom and it looked kind of wimpy so I used the old castle nut as a jam nut. Works fine. Jim will probably want to replace the kingpin and the control arm if the lower trunnion bolt has significant wear. I did.

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've got a rebuilt swivel axle to go back in. The question is what does the A arm bushing areas look like for wear. I've also got to get a ball joint separator. The pickle fork didn't work so I've got to get the other type.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
The lower Trunnion pin is locked to the kingpin with a taper pin. Depending on the condition, it can be extremely difficult to remove. The trunnion pin cannot have any slop or play in the control arm. While holding the kingpin at the top threads, try to move it side to side. It should move very little if at all. Remember that the lower trunnion pin is hardened steel and can be difficult to remove without cutting it. I just left the kingpin assembled to the control arm when I returned for core.

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For whatever reason I couldn't get pictures up here, so here's I posted them on my web site.

https://www.jhorton3.net/suspension.html

In-laws are coming for lunch, and then I've got my band coming for practice. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to anything with it today.