• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 trailing arm bushing installation help

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am trying to install the trailing arm bushings from TRF. Since there was such a large range of recommendations of what type to use, I decided to use the hard rubber bushings since that seemed to be intermediate in hardness. I used threaded rod to remove the old bushings and had no problem doing so (as was described by Tinster in "Trailing Arm Refurbish".)Trying to get the new bushings in, however, seems next to impossible. I have tried for over an hour to get just one of them in with no success. All that happens is that as I try to push or pull it in, it just bulges and goes no further. It appears to be lined up straight, but obiously I am doing something wrong. Does anyone have any tips? Anyone know where I could have this done and how much it costs? Any tips would greatly be appreciated. My car has been on blocks for three months now, and I am in need of some serious backroad TR6 therapy.
Kevin

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kevin,

Are you installing these dry, or without any lubricant? That could be your problem.

Also have you cleaned the inside surface of the trailing arm from the junk that was on each of the four the old bushings?

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I did finally get one half in. I am using lubricant (KY-helps to be married to a nurse), but maybe I did not use enough. The inside of the trailing arm is very smooth. Maybe I need more elbow greese too.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kevin- It's a bugger. Keep at it. When I finished mine I was never satisfied with the orientation of them and I removed them and replaced with the polys.

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
If you lay them out in the sun, or bring them in the house overnite, it helps. Also, use NAPA silicone, comes in a tube. Put some on the trailing arm and some on the bushing. If the bushings have been out in the cold, you will have a hard time getting them in. When they buldge, you don't have the right lube, or enough of it on both surfaces.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Part of the problem may be that you TA bushing holes are no longer perfectly round. The trailing arms are aluminum and subject to deformity and variances in hole diameter. This becomes very evident when you try to install Nylatron bushings. Paul referenced cleaning the inside of the TAs and I second that no matter how clean they look. I actually ran a small flap sanding wheel in mine to get them really clean.
Tools.jpg

Once I did that, I was able to press in the Nylatron using the threaded rod, washer and socket method that I used to push the old bushing out.

BushingsIn2.jpg

Maybe it will work for the rubber bushings too.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I've found heating the bushing up in near boiling water helped a ton with the poly bushings I've installed. Ditto for soapy water...

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for all the tips. I made a number of mistakes. In your article (which was quite helpful), Tinster, I couldn't figure out why you used all the washers. Now I know - if you don't use a number of lubricated washers, it cuts into the metal on the bushing tube - bummer. I spent hours and could not get both in. They were both bulging as I pushed them in, so I probably should have just used the soap. I am going to pull them back out and see how much I wore off on the end. If significant, I may do like you did, Don, and just go with the poly at this point. If they are not damaged, I think I will use soap this time and try heating up the bushing like a number of you mentioned. Thanks again for your help.
Kevin

T

Tinster

Kevin,

the real key to installing rubber T/A bushings is
to have the aluminum opening clean, clean, clean.
Brilliant, shiny clean.

I have used liguid soap and had no problem once the rubber
bushing was properly cenetered in the opening. If it starts
out crooked, you'll never get it thru.

tinster

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
I think what we have here is none of you have ever tried to put the "stiffer" than stock TRF rubber bushings in. I have, and I doubt soap will do the job. There is no need to polish the aluminum. These are a bit more difficult than the stock ones. The problem in here is, someone who has put these particular ones in, and knows how, is overwhelmed by people who have not put these stiffer bushings in. I don't see where I, or any other professional wrench, can function in an effective and efficient manner in this forum. It is better that amateurs struggle with amateurs. So, this will be my last post in this forum. Thanks for the fun Basil. Good Day.

R

RonMacPherson

Intriguing..

I too spent over 35 years on the line, and am still involved in the auto industry first hand.
Brosky, I believe, also has spent considerable time "twisting wrenches".

Perhaps, I find this post interesting as part of the latter part of my time on the line, Sr. Tech and shop foreman at different rf's had me mentoring technicians.

Now this forum, I thought, was for transmitting knowledge and educations learned to help those who do not have the knowledge, nor yet learned the procedures to repair, update, modify or maintain their hobby cars. So, some of the cars are more than hobby(I know I relied on one 6 for around three years) and the knowlege needed is more important than just waltzing back to the garage on a weekend and futzing with "Betsy".

I try not to pass judgment on others, except those that pass judgment on me and what I have learned over the years. SearcherMan, We will not miss your kind of attitude....

Basil

Administrator
Boss
TheSearcherMan said:
I think what we have here is none of you have ever tried to put the "stiffer" than stock TRF rubber bushings in. I have, and I doubt soap will do the job. There is no need to polish the aluminum. These are a bit more difficult than the stock ones. The problem in here is, someone who has put these particular ones in, and knows how, is overwhelmed by people who have not put these stiffer bushings in. I don't see where I, or any other professional wrench, can function in an effective and efficient manner in this forum. It is better that amateurs struggle with amateurs. So, this will be my last post in this forum. Thanks for the fun Basil. Good Day.

You're d*mn right, this will be your last post in these forums! You seem to have great difficulty communicating as a so-called "professional" without making snid comments and condescending personal remarks to those of "lesser"talent than you. Based on some of the feedback I've had, you won't be missed.

There is more to being a professional than simply being a "know-it-all." How you interact with others who may know less is also part of ANY profession. When I was a Base Commander, I treated my Airmen with respect - and they returned the favor. That's a talent you could work on my friend.

So long,
Basil

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I don't want to drag this out, but just a few comments since I guess I am the one who offended this gentleman. I worked as a fisheries biologist after graduating from college. Through a strange series of events I ended up choosing to be an elementary school teacher. It ended up being the perfect match. I now teach in a rural school right across the street from a major salmon producing stream. I get to bring my background, knowledge, and enthusiam for math and science to my fifth graders; they obtain a little different spin on learning from the conventional classrooms they have been in.

I have always had a passion for sharing what I know with others, and I guess I felt others felt the same. I know I am not one of the more knowledgeable people on the forum - working on cars is new to me. As a teacher though, I have found everyone can learn, and it is enjoyable to guide that journey. I always feel flattered when other teachers ask for help in science and math. It is even more rewarding when a student comes back to visit me after they have completed college and let me know how I planted the seed. For what it is worth, I am very grateful to all of you who have helped me - hopefully I can in turn do the same in the future. Quite frankly, I would not be able to afford this car or learn all that I have without all of your help. The knowlege, patience, kindness and enthusiam on the forum has given me confidence to tackle the toughest jobs. Too bad many of you didn't decide to become teachers.

Kevin

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
As a professional wrench myself (14 years experience,ASE master Tec with advanced engine diagnostics, and Toyota Master Tec) I have no problems here on the BCF. I find the environment friendly, informative, and challanging. I've worked several years as strictly a vintage tec, mainly on LBCs, and now am back to modern cars, and I still learn all kinds of things here on the forum. not to mention the fun of sharing what I do know, and watching people build thier knowlage and skill as they rebuild thier car.
I've made friends, bought a car, sold a car, traded parts and goodies, mooched rides at LBC events, even took a trip to the tropics! this forum is what you make of it. and it's easy to make a lot of it thanks to Basils dillagence to excellence and fair play.
Here's to the BCF!

T

Tinster

Good on ya Kevin!!

You just nailed the heart and soul of the BCF.
Friendship, fellowship and sharing.

I too am a non-wrench (a dirt bag architect) who
knows very little about auto mechanics. Many folks
here at BCF have helped me from across the ocean
and around the world. Some have even flown to Puerto
Rico for "hands-on" help.

When I am successful at repairing a major system,
I try to photo document the process for other know
nothing auto mechanical Triumph owners, like yourself.
You'll get those bushings installed, trust me.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So if this amateur me helped another amateur you Kevin -
then Basil must be pretty darned happy with his forum.

Adios Searcherman- you just never GOT IT, did you??

Tinster (Dale)

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
TheSearcherMan said:
I don't see where I, or any other professional wrench, can function in an effective and efficient manner in this forum. It is better that amateurs struggle with amateurs. So, this will be my last post in this forum. Thanks for the fun Basil. Good Day.

WTF??? Sounds more like a professional wench :cryin: and I'll take a room full of us amateurs sharing experience over any professional who thinks there's only one answer. :driving: