• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Dzus hood fastener packing?

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
We are mounting the hood on the TR3 and have realized that if the Dzus anchor brackets (Moss part 802-918) are bolted directly to the inner fenders, the hood is pulled about 1/4 inch below the level of the front fenders. I temporarily used some washers to elevate them and raise the hood level to match the fenders, but I just noticed Moss part 802-930 which is "Dzus fastener bracket packing" implying that there is some kind of material that goes under these brackets, perhaps to do the same kind of elevation job now done by my jury-rigged washers. The packing is only $5 or so, but I just bet that this os something I can get from my local hardware store. Anyone know what this packing material is made of? And just for laughs, is there any article or posting that tells me the best way to level those things?

Won't be long now - we hope to remount the windshield and doors today. All other panels and hood, etc are back on the car.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Craig.

On my TR3, there's what appears to be "fiberboard" under the anchor bracket, like a gasket material, between 1/8 and 1/4" thick. It's shaped exactly like the base of the bracket. Also shows that same thing in the Piggott book, p. 21. Washers go under the bolt head, but sure looks like a "spacer" under the bracket itself.

In some of the "original" pictures in the Piggott, that spacer is a different color from the body.

Edit: Just went out and scratched them with my fingernail. Those spacers under the brackets could very well be old rubber; definitely not solid material.

Sorry I can't help more.
Tom

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Craig the "packing" is a reddish fiber gasket, the Brits call gaskets packing, not to be confused with water pump packing which is used to seal shafts to keep them from leaking. It is as Tom said, about 1/8 in thickness. Pictures of TR's still in their original color, that I have, show the "packing" to be the same color as the body which tells me that the Dzus fastner was assembled to the body before it went through the paint line. My Dzus fastner will be body color but the packing will be the color it came in, as well as the fastener hardware. I bought them, I think, from TRF on one of their weeekend specials.
I suspect you could make some from gasket material bought at the local auto parts store. If you go that route send me a PM and I will send you a tracing of the packing I have.

Cheers, Tinkerman

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not sure what the original packing was, looks like a fibrous material similar to "composition" gasket material but harder. Mine have all been red in color (the ones that I think are original anyway, under whatever paint has gotten on them over the years), but I think it's just dye added to the fiber (same red used in shop rags).

And you're quite right, they were used to adjust the vertical position of the hood. Don't forget that the final position includes constant tension against the Dzus mounts (provided by the rubber stops at each front corner), so my procedure is to adjust the stops so the Dzus buttons are a little hard to latch (this is the only thing that keeps them from backing off and letting the hood open on the road), then judge the hood position. Add/subtract shims, readjust the stops, check again. Lather, rinse, repeat until it's perfect or you are disgusted enough to accept the result.

The project TR3 has a 3A front apron on it, and the curve of the apron doesn't match the curve of the hood. Eventually I may try altering the shape of the apron, but for now it's going to have to do the way it is.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
No other posts are necessary. These guys have covered it all.

Jim

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The pads are fiber board about 1/16" thick. Depending on how well the restoration and fitting was done, some TR owners could have up to 3/8" high of these pads under the Dzus bases.

And they are not red as in "red-red". They are red as in "box-car brownish red".

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, closer to a dirty orange... :laugh: Mine lined up pretty good with two of those gaskets on each side.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
The BCF strikes again! With knowledge that is. I learned something about the fastening brackets that I wasn't aware of. This one will go into my BCF tips file. Now, when the bonnet doesn't fit right I'll know how to fix it.

Gotta love the forum, Tinkerman

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's a pic I blew up from a restored car, perhaps it helps....
IMG_0791x.jpg

OP
CraigLandrum

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to all for the great info and pics! I went ahead and ordered some from Moss. Randall, we have the same hood-to-apron issue...looks like I need about 1/4 inch more height on the middle of the apron, tapering off about a foot on either side. Bummer.

TruCraft

Jedi Hopeful
I also have the Red/orange spacers installed under the brackets.
My problem is, I have a box of Dzus fasteners, but none will fit through the aluminum hood bushings?!
They seem to be the right length, but too large of a diameter.
Are they for the side curtains?
Lyle

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
There are three different Dzuz fasteners for cars up to TS60000.

One each for the hood, side curtain and windscreen staunchion fixing.

The engine hood Dzuz has an indent to accept the shrink washer keeper that is fitted after the Dzuz is dropped through the hood ferrel.

A very thin rubber washer made up and fitted over the Dzuz before the shrink washer will stop it rattling like crazy when the hood is up, and you have the engine running while trying to tune it.

Viv.