• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thermostatic fan switch that fits Bugeye radiator temperature sensor hole?

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
When I installed the 1275 in my Bugeye, I moved the temperature sensor from the radiator to the engine block. I've been thinking of adding an electric fan for those hot summer days and just wondered if there's a thermostatic fan switch from some other make and model British car that will screw into the hole in the side of the stock Bugeye radiator. For example, something like this one for a Spitfire: https://www.ebay.com/itm/200278709556?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Has anyone ever found such a switch?

Dan

RickB

Yoda
What's the thread and size? If it's 3/8 18 NPT then this might be the ticket:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16750/media/images
der-16750_w.jpg

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
What's the thread and size? If it's 3/8 18 NPT then this might be the ticket:

Unfortunately, I think it's some sort of British thread size. I tried to find a threaded plug for the hole in the radiator from Home Depot and Orchard Supply Hardware, but the threads were wrong. I think they were NPT. I finally found one that fit from Moss, so I assume the threads are not NPT.

Dan

RickB

Yoda
My radiator guy had a plug that fit, not sure what the threads or size were though but it looked like 3/8 pipe.
I'm sure somebody knows this.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
IIRC, 5/8 x 18 tpi will fit.

Country flag
I think John is right, but it is not the correct size. It will fit with persuasion and will seal and hold under pressure.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
OK, but that still leaves the question as to whether or not there is a thermostatic fan switch that fits 5/8 x 18 tpi threads. The one that Rick found at Summit Racing was 3/8 18 NPT.

Dan

Country flag
yes, i think it was used in a dodge colt. I picked one up at my FLAPS.

Country flag
I think this is it: Beck/Arnley number 201-1158

Contact Peter C at WorldWide Auto Parts. He will know.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
I think this is it: Beck/Arnley number 201-1158

I found a new one on eBay for $10 with free shipping. That's cheap enough to risk it, so I just went ahead and bought it. I'll know soon enough. :smile:

Dan

nomad

Yoda
Make sure it is a temp sender for a fan control and not for a temp gauge. Most work thru a relay and have data on cut in and out.

Kurt.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Kurt,

Make sure it is a temp sender for a fan control and not for a temp gauge. Most work thru a relay and have data on cut in and out.

Right! When it arrives, the first thing I intend to do is test it both electrically and mechanically. So far, my total investment in this "experiment" is only $10, so if it isn't what I need, it's not really a big loss. :smile:

Dan

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Dan, did this work for you? I have a new early-style radiator with the bung in the tank that I want to use for a fan switch.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Tom,

I have it installed, but (I'm ebaressed to say) I've never connected it to try. Anyway, it did fit.

Dan

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Dan, I just bought a thermostst and sensor for my electric fan that has a sensor probe that slides into the radiator fins. It is totally external to the radiator and engine and the thermostat is adjustable. It is $30 on ebay. If you want more info on it I will go out to the garage and get the vendor's name.
Charlie

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I went through this ordeal about a year ago. To make a long story short, Serck Motor Sport who is in the UK built my radiator. One of the questions I asked was what size the original bung. I was changing the bung size in radiator to 16mm for a thermo-fan switch anyway, but wanted to know. Roy who is production manger at Serck Motor Sport answered “Oh” that’s easy, the bung hole is ½ BSP (British Standard Pipe). Their are a few switches that size if you research.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had a auxiliary electric fan mounted in front of the radiator on 59 Diamond. I turned it on with a toggel switch whenever the temperature started rising. It would lower the Temp Ok.
The drawbacks I had with it was that the fan was really loud and noisy . It sounded like a turbine jet engine when it wound down after turning it off. The other problem is after you mount the fan in front of the radiator you may have trouble putting the bonnet safety bar in place across the front of the fan and your bonnet may not close all the way without a littlle bending . This assumes you don't have a forward tilting bonnet.