• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stupid question #1 - steering wheel

Radride

Freshman Member
I am tearing down my mark 1 midget for restoration. My next chore is to take out the dash. I removed the center nut on the steering wheel, but the wheel is wedged on the spline and I can't figure out how to remove it, brute force hasn't worked so far and I am afraid of cracking the wheel if I use leverage. The wheel is black plastic, not the cream colored one discribed for this model. None of my repair books say anything about difficulty in removing the wheel - they just say " then remove the steering wheel". The wheel appears to have been put on upside down the last time it was installed if that makes a difference. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. As an aside, my dash is painted and doesn't appear to have ever been covered in vinyl in the past, is this normal - did the earlier midgets come with a painted dash or were they all vinyl covered ? GAN 1 - 3555.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All Mark I's were vinyl covered.

Wheel is easy to remove. Should be lots of threads showing how this is done.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
My wheel was a bear too.
Spray a little PB blaster on it and leave it overnight, then try a little upward pressure from your knees and a light tap with a rubber hammer.
Tip #1, DONT remove the nut, just loosen it, the nut is the only thing stopping your head and steering wheel meeting at high speed when it does break loose. Be prepared for a POP.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The best way is prob two folks, unscrew the nut several turns so it is flush with the end of the shaft. One preson puts his knees under the wheel and his hands on the top to pull it up. The other puts a hammer on the shaft and nut and while one is pulling up the other hits the hammer smartly with another hammer. It is a coordinated effort.

When putting it back use some aniseaze or what ever.

Do not bung up the shaft, it is soft and can be screwed up easly.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The other puts a hammer on the shaft and nut and while one is pulling up the other hits the hammer smartly with another hammer.[/QUOTE]

& be real careful that hammer tap doesn't damage the steering column bushings or - more importantly - damage the column's collapse function...I've seen steering columns that had already collapsed because of hammer hits but the owner never knew it (he might in case of an accident).

Just ask Gerry Masterman what damage a hammer can do to a steering column.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As an aside, I don't think the MK1 Midgets had a collapsable column (though I've been wrong before). Not something I like to dwell on when driving Tunebug in traffic... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BEs do not have collapsable columns but the column is soft metal, not supose to clobber it again and again, but a good wack or two should do the trick. Again make sure the nut is on the end of the threads to protect them.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Jack,

"hits the hammer smartly with another hammer."

I was taught that you must never do this as it can be dangerous. (Both items are very hard and there is a chance of chipping). A drift and hammer is much better.

Alec

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]"hits the hammer smartly with another hammer."

I was taught that you must never do this as it can be dangerous. (Both items are very hard and there is a chance of chipping). A drift and hammer is much better. [/QUOTE]

I always heard this from my dad, a carpenter.

Then I watched Mythbusters.

Those guys know how to abuse a tool, they did an episode on the hammer myth - and it was totally and completely busted.
They tried everything, a robotic hammer smasher that swung two hammers to hit them together over and over, they tried heating them up, they tried cooling them down.

Hammers are tough, they are made to strike metal objects all day long day after day and keep on performing.

Country flag
But... did they use hammers made in china?
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Just remember that a carpenter's hammer is hardened steel (to drive nails without distorting the face too badly) while a ball-peen hammer is NOT hardened (to the same extent) so that it will hurt the driven part less than a carpenter's hammer will.
Bill

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You guys, use good tools and do not worry.

RickB

Yoda
I agree with Jack. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

They did use all kinds of hammers, the Mythbusters people are pretty thorough. You and I would never abuse equipment to the extent those guys go to. They did get wooden handles to break and steel handles to bend but the only way they got the face of a hammer to shatter was after dipping in liquid nitrogen.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Shattering & chipping is not too often an issue unless a hammer is really old and abused but a ball-peen hammer will leave far fewer marks on your car than a hardened one (on paint being one exception!!) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Bill

R

RonMacPherson

Ah, but I know a guy that has lost sight in one eye, because the hammer splintered and splinter entered his left eye.

So, why did the "myth" originate. Some credence in real life. I too have seen ball peen head splint off.

I do not give Myth busters much credibility after they overlooked Smokey Yunicks "heat motor" in their "search for fuel efficient engines"...

OP
R

Radride

Freshman Member
O.K., good advice. Will need to watch Myth busters. Sprayed on penetrating oil, put nut back on, whacked nut (put reversed socket over nut, used magic safety hammer), cussed 46 Y.O. car. Once out of time out for cussing my senior Midget, decided to let oil penetrate overnight. Good News, no blood, broken bones or spilt innards and no damage to old Midget. I am considering a gear puller since Arnold is still in California and can't drop by to pull the wheel off. This might make a great Myth Busters episode.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I don't think the MK1 Midgets had a collapsable column [/QUOTE]

You're correct - I was thinking later cars.

G

Yeah, same issue- can't get mine off either. My fear is that I'll damage the collapsible columb. My original steering wheel is still very nice so the other option is out of the question.

There's a youtube video on how to get the steering wheel off and it looks like they videotaped pulling one on an early 70's car.

Country flag
The later cars that have the "rectangle center"... there was a thread about drilling and tapping some holes in the center so that you could use a conventional hub puller (that you can borrow from Autozone).

Country flag
And BTW, if you screw up your column... I have one in my pile of parts from a 1979 Midget.