• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

i did something stupid

tri_carb_healey

i put oil on the drum shoes. yea i know it was dumb will this start a fire during braking it doesnt bother me to open it back up and clean everything just curious.
(it'll probably start a fire if i dont)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't think it will start a fire, but in my experience with oil leaking on to the brake shoes, it makes the brakes grab. By all means, try cleaning them off, but you may need new shoes.

Country flag
Most likely, is that it'll cause the front of your car to be closer to the middle.

Pull the drums back off and clean the brake shoes with BRAKE PARTS CLEANER. It will rinse the oil off and dry without leaving a residue. Similarly, clean the inside of the drums, wiping them clean with a paper towel.

DON'T make me come down there...

... although, I'm in the planning/execution stages to be MUCH closer (like Sarasota) by the end of the year :smile: ).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
i did something stupid

Welcome to the club--------Keoke--- :laugh:

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have had brake fluid leak onto my new shoes (brake, not feet) and cleaned them with brake parts cleaner so they now work fine.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I, on the other hand, have never done anything stupid. But because we are all generally nice to each other, don't ask me anything about why my nose is not straight, what the scar on my arm is from, or how I know exactly what goes through your mind just before you are very close to purchasing some agrigultural property (buying the farm). It IS a very large club if you actually do things.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Since we are confessing.......I did something stupid...selling any/all the Healeys I USED to own!!!

Pete

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Richard Dickinson said:
I did something stupid too, I bought my Healey 50 years ago and have suffered with it ever since.

---------------------------- :lol:----------Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HEALEYJAG said:
Since we are confessing.......I did something stupid...selling any/all the Healeys I USED to own!!!
Pete

:savewave:
Well sometimes we gotta sell what we got so we can get what we want-Keoke

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How about replacing the discs on the front of a BJ7 and then inserting the brake pads the wrong way round so it was metal to metal and to top it off driving a mile or so before it was discovered.

On another note, I have had oil on new rear brake shoes after a poorly assembled rear hub following a recon of the axle seal ( because of oil on the shoes in the first instance) and after one day of driving, I washed it off with thinners, sorted the hub installation out and it passes the MOT fine these days - Phew!

:cheers:

Bob

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As John says the most likely result is to make the brakes grab and the wheels lock up which is a heck of a shock when it first happens with squeels and tire smoke everywhere. Embarrassing as well.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Can't tell you how many times I've driven off with the E brake on. Makes the rear brakes smell awful, and discolors the drums.