• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New trailer - Did I miss the mark?

69sprite

Country flag
Guys,

I recently inherited a golf cart for use in my weekly self flogging outings with my friends that requires little white balls, a set of bats with varied degrees of loft and tons of humility.

To be able to transport the cart, I purchased a new trailer. I was coherent enough to realize that in Texas, a trailer is much like a pickup, a multi-functional item and a commodity that has the potential to become well used by many in the neighborhood. So when purchasing it, I did actually think that the trailer I purchased would also get used to haul my 69 Sprite, in addition to the golf cart, loads of dirt/rock/debris/etc/etc/etc.

I took measurements on the Sprite and yes, noted that it was 11 foot long, but saw that the tires would work within a 9 foot length. Being of misery ancestry, the trailer I purchased ended up being a 6.4 ft wide X 10.5 ft long trailer. Normal trailers were 5X10, but I got the extra width to give room so as to not bump the sides/doors. Needless to say, the golf cart has absolutely no problem at all with lot's o room and length. I am kinda concerned that I left myself a little short on the length for use in towing my Sprite.

What do you think? I haven't tried it yet, as I want to build a set of ramps that are stronger than the 2X12 ones I use for the golf cart.....

Any input is appreciated.... but name calling is not required!

Thanks
Larry

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Can't imagine that overhang would be an issue - what is the weight rating?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You may be OK locally, if the trailer and its tires have the capacity.

This wouldn't work in some states due to local laws.

For example in many eastern states (like mine), any trailer carrying an automobile must have at least four tires plus wheel brakes.
I would just suggest that anyone who wants to do this check with local laws, so that you know you have insurance coverage and won't get a traffic ticket.

Country flag
Maxed out tow vehicle + maxed out single axle trailer + trailer tire blowout = BIG Trouble

daveu

Up here in Ontario any trailer hauling a car has to have two axles and four wheels, not sure about brakes though. Found out when I saw a local ad for two MGBs and one was on a single axle trailer that was included. I showed a friend of mine and he said it wasn't legal.

OP
69sprite

69sprite

Country flag
JP- The trailer was setup with a 3500lbs axle and I believe that the max weight rating was 3000lbs... which I think is well under that of my sprite, right? :chuncky:

Also brakes and truck brake setup is for towing heavier loads. I do understand the tandem axle discussion. I used a 16 foot tandem, when I purchased my car 10+ years ago. I hauled it from north of Dallas to Austin with that and a Ford F-350 Diesel pusher....which was way overkill it seemed to me. The main problem I had then was the ground clearance of the car and the ramps I had... too steep an angle and the car's back end bottomed before getting all one the ramps, then the car high-centered getting from the ramps onto the trailer itself.... I ended up moving the truck/trailer out into the street to find a better angle using the bar ditch to help reduce the angles.... And I had to do the same thing offloading it when I got the car home....

(But then again, the purchase/loading/etc of my car all occurred at around 1am in the morning, so no telling what better approach could have been used if there were daylight instead of flashlights being used to load it all!)

G

Did you just buy it? Bring it back and exchange it for a longer one. The place I bought mine from let me swap it. I broght it home, tried to put the Grand Wagoneer on it an it didn't. Brought it back and they let me swap for a bigger trailer plus the price difference. Just bring it back and say it's too short for your intended purpose.