• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So why would I bring a trailer to work today?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hooked up my trailer today, have to make a run after work to pick something up. And what might that be? :smile:

huntingengines.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hmmmm....

Hardtop?

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I want to say X-mass tree or snowmobile....but given this is the MG forum I'm going to say:

MGB engine/trans

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I want to say X-mass tree or snowmobile....but given this is the MG forum I'm going to say:

MGB engine/trans
:winner1:
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Earlier this year I gave a friend of mine my pack-away top and frame for his MGB (I went back to the correct Michelotti frame). He mentioned that he was going to do a V6 swap on his B, so I told him to think of me when he got around to it. Got the call last week that he had the old engine out and ready for me.

I'm picking up the engine after work (transmission was non-OD, so I didn't take it). It was running fine, though won't come with the carb setup. Plan is to either pop it in my car whenever I get around to rebuilding my current engine, or to set it up for a supercharger build in the future. Either way, I couldn't resist a good free spare engine.

Last edited:

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
...and you built your new garage so small that you wouldn't be "tempted"! I see that it worked out well! :smile:
BillM

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
...and you built your new garage so small that you wouldn't be "tempted"! I see that it worked out well! :smile:
BillM
It's just an engine, Bill, not the whole car -- that is an improvement. :rolleye:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Billm said:
BillM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Laugh all you want, but my smaller space *did* limit what I might have done... I grabbed the engine due to specific plans for an eventual performance build. Didn't take anything else (could have gotten pretty much the entire driveline and suspension) as I don't need it.

Space is small, but not too small. That's the trick. So yes, I have room for a spare engine, but I've got to really need it -- exactly the sort of process I wanted to go through before adding anything in. :encouragement:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Why do I feel like the boy who cried wolf? :crazyeyes: :D

So drove down to the city and picked up the engine after work. Transmission was still attached, so that came as well. It's a non-overdrive transmission, so I'll likely try and find it a new home. Had a nice look at my friends MGB -- he's doing a V6/5-speed conversion, coil overs, and a new rear suspension as well. Very neat stuff, not my cup of tea but should be a real hoot to drive once it's done.

Drive home up the canyon was a bit hair raising and included a near-miss with a deer a couple miles from my house. Stupid long-legged rodents. Once home, Getting the pallet off my trailer took a bit of redneck engineering with my engine hoist and some ropes, but all went well. Only had one moment that resembled the don't-do-this part of the instructions.

The engine was a decent runner before coming out of his MGB (it is originally out of a '74 so it's an 18V), so I've got a few choices. It may be kept just as a spare, or may eventually become the basis for a supercharged build. Might even just play with it as a learn-to-build-an-engine project, as I've never built one myself. It's small enough to keep stored in a corner and might come in handy.

Attachments

• mgengine1.jpg
    mgengine1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 67
  • mgengine2.jpg
    mgengine2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 66

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Beware the nose of the Camel
No fear on that front, JP. The *only* reason I picked this up is that I already have a project in mind for it -- not just because it was free and offered to me. I'm only gathering parts I need for things, not just to have them around.

I realize no one believes me ( :wink: ), but I have a very strict set of rules for what I acquire now. Believe it or not, I've turned down quite a few parts opportunities for things that would be neat to have around, but that I would likely never use.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
No fear on that front, JP. The *only* reason I picked this up is that I already have a project in mind for it -- not just because it was free and offered to me. I'm only gathering parts I need for things, not just to have them around.

I realize no one believes me ( :wink: ), but I have a very strict set of rules for what I acquire now. Believe it or not, I've turned down quite a few parts opportunities for things that would be neat to have around, but that I would likely never use.

Actually I envy you. Spent an hour looking for something today - and finally just bought another - only way I could figure to find it. sheesh!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
S.O.P., JP!

Drew, you could press that engine into service by usin' it to prop up a small beverage cooler.... jus'sayin'... :devilgrin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew, you could press that engine into service by usin' it to prop up a small beverage cooler.... jus'sayin'... :devilgrin:
Whiskey doesn't need a cooler, Doc... just lives on the shelf with the other volatile fluids. :smile:

if nothing else it will make an interesting project to tear it down and try my hand at a rebuild. Never done one before, so could be good practice.