• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fit 2 Midgets on one car trailer ?

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have the opportunity to get a 69 (complete) & a 74 (complete sans motor & tranny)- about 4 hours away from em.
My buddy has a normal dual axle car trailer - I know I would have to do an actual measurement for final confirmation, but since the cars & trailer are not in front of me right now, has anyone hauled 2 Spridgets back 2 back on a typical car trailer before ?

Thanks in advance

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I have what I consider a normal open 16 foot trailer. There's actually two more feet if the front wheels of the front Midget where hanging in the air (over the "V" hitch part).

I guess you could squeeze 18 feet of vehicle if you pushed the cars all the way forward (with no part of the car hanging off the rear).

My race-Spridget, with no bumpers, measures about 10 foot 9 inches long, so getting two of these on with be quite a challenge.
There are also 18 foot open trailers, which might be closer but still tough.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
If you try this make sure you have plenty of GOOD tiedowns. And take along some old blankets or hunks of foam to drap over where the ends will meet to kep them from banging together and possibly causing damage.

RickB

Yoda
Here's a WAT - (wild a## thought) - I've never done this but it could work...

You could try taking some great padding like a twin size mattress along.
Put the '69 on the trailer first as far forward as you can.
Put the mattress over the trunk then since there's no motor weight put the '74 up on the mattress over the boot of the '69.

Using lots of ratcheting tie downs secure that load firmly in place.
You are talking about 22 feet of vehicles if you don't stack, which is a bit long.
If the trailer can haul a 22 foot long load then you're set.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
RickB said:
Here's a WAT - (wild a## thought) - I've never done this but it could work...

You could try taking some great padding like a twin size mattress along.
Put the '69 on the trailer first as far forward as you can.
Put the mattress over the trunk then since there's no motor weight put the '74 up on the mattress over the boot of the '69.

Using lots of ratcheting tie downs secure that load firmly in place.
You are talking about 22 feet of vehicles if you don't stack, which is a bit long.
If the trailer can haul a 22 foot long load then you're set.

my thoughts also

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jer, which way do you have to go to get the cars?

I have a cottage on the Bruce Penninsula, where you could leave one car for a few days if this might help.

Dave :driving:

OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for all the reply's, I will finally have some time to make some calls tonight, I also just remembered that my brother in law has a tilt n' load that was originally used for a john deere dealer... have to see how long that bed is :smile:
Dave thanks for the offer, they are in the sudbury area, which is 4 hours east for me.
Rick your idea is a possibility... got me thinking about putting one's rear tires on wheel ramps, then I could get the other one underneath by a couple feet... maybe
What a pain when they are farther away, but then I will gain seats for my 67 (still not correct as they are for a 69 but better than the spitfire seats I have now) & a perfect match parts car for my 74...
If it works out I guess I was meant to have them.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jer said:
If it works out I guess I was meant to have them.

Nah, it's the other way around. You were meant to have them so you'll work it out. :banana:

OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
UPDATE - I have bill of sale/ownership, but no cars until spring - They are buried in back corner of shed, won't be accessable until next spring when owner gets a bunch of stuff cleared out ! ha ha -
All good, at least they are mine & I have time to figure out the hauling plan -
Also I'm a bit relieved that the cars are the "heaps" that they are, I won't have any remorse over using them as parts cars... But as I took the 3 new spoked rims out of the trunk (light rust from sitting but still have tags attached to spokes) I thought to myself "well these 3 new from Moss would pay for the entire purchase of both cars" so I think I did allright. I know we all love pictures, Enjoy !
Also was originally mis informed, 74 has complete drivetrain, 69 is missing tranny only, the 1275 comes with it.

Attachments

• 29891.jpg
    29891.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 190
OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
and another, why can I only post one pic at a time ? my membership is payed up ..

Attachments

• 29892.jpg
    29892.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 190
OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
and then the other one,

Attachments

• 29893.jpg
    29893.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 186
OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
and the last picture of 2nd car.

Attachments

• 29895.jpg
    29895.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 185

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well bought my friend, well bought!

nomad

Yoda
JPSmit said:

I agree, well bought and you will have enough parts to keep you off the road and working on project's for a long time!!

Kurt.

OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
JPSmit said:
Thanks JP, and the more I look, I think the "69" might be more of a "70", the VIN indicated a 69 according to Horlers book, but the lack of side molding (I think 69's till had that), split rear bumper & interior door panels all point to a 70 more than a 69..., doesn't matter much, just interesting...

RickB

Yoda
Remember that previous owners may have modified things.
Also that early in the model year things could have been different from late in the model year, and sometimes things switch half way through.

Take the 74 MGB for example:
June production examples saw the introduction of rubber bumpers.
A major change half way through the model year.

OP
Jer

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
good point Rick, like you mention especially with a change over year like that, who knows... just fun noting the differences. The wife has already started hinting about how she would like the spoke wheel set up on the 74... Never been my taste on a Spridget, but if wife is showing interest in anything spridget related I would like to support that! We will have to see the condition of the axles, hubs etc. when I get them in the shop.