• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trailer for the new Ayrton Senna Documentary

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I saw this and am exited about the movie, I was (am) a huge Senna fan. Huge talent, I think the fastest driver ever in terms of pure speed, as shown by his remarkable qualifying records with pole posisitions, he said he approached every race with three goals, pole position, first place, fast lap. Anyway, excited to see this, I thought it was being released here late this year, but every time I heard it seemed to be moving later and later for US release, so next year I guess doesn't surprise me.

I would like to take my son (15 years old) to it, despite the sad ending I think he might find it inspirational.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to revive an old thread, but:

I watched the Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear tribute to Senna not too long ago, and having now heard some preliminary reviews from the areas that are showing it on the big screen, I ~really~ want to see this film.

The footage that Clarkson showed on Top Gear is awesome. I don't recall seeing driving like that in recent years...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Watched Senna run (his first F-1) Monaco in the rain, saw in that race the greatest F-1 driver ever. IMO, Had Ayrton lived, Michael Schumacher would be a footnote in the history of the sport.

:devilgrin: :smirk:

He actually shouldered the resurrection of the GPDA the day before. I believe he would have outdone Stewart in the job.

I hate irony.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Saw the film yesterday. It was excellent! Even my wife enjoyed it. An amazing story of an extremely talented young man and the treachery of Formula One. This is a must see film.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I saw the film yesterday with my wife, who is not really a racing fan, she thought it was pretty good and we even talked about some of the politics and technology of the cars afterwards.

I will admit I am a huge Senna fan, I did not get a chance to watch Fangio or Clark when they were racing in F1, but I did watch Senna's career, and I felt his talent truly transcended that of the very good driver's he raced against.

He was an amazing talent, I know he wanted to win championships, but he also wanted to win every race, I think if he had settled for points and not "gone for it" quite as much he would have maybe won another championship, however, that very characteristic was what made him Senns.

I pulled out some of my old Road and Track's, they used to give pretty good coverage to F1 as I am sure some of you can remember. I would have to say they spun the whole Senna/Prost thing as Senna being more the bad guy and Prost the reasonable one.

I am not really criticising the movie, but I have read and seen a lot about the man. In my opinion they made him out to be a little more of a good guy than he was, or at least overdid the Prost bad guy/Senna good guy thing. They were both fiercly competitive and talented, and that led to a very intense rivalry.

I also think they did not emphasize some of the apsects of his talent that were truly amazing, how could they skip the 93 race at Donnington where hr erny from fifth to first on the first half of the first lap? Another story, less when know, when racing formula 2 or three Against other up and coming future F1 drivers), he lost his front brakes, fell back, adjusted, and still won the race.
He often tested cars and beat the best times of other good drivers even if the track and car was new to him. He tested for CART racing in the early nineties and in a few laps smoked Emerson Fittipaldis best time even though Fittipaldi had much more time behind the wheel of the car.

Although I am a huge Senna fan, and I am quite sure that he is the fastest man ever to get behind the wheel of a racing car, I wonder if he was slipping a bit by the mid nineties, not bad, but maybe not as dominant as he had been earlier in his career, don't know this for a fact, just wondering, F1 has been becoming more and more of a young mans game and he was hitting his mid thirties, would have been great to see him mix it up with Schumacher, Hakkinen, and Hill for a few years to find out if he had in fact missed a beat.

Senna died the day I got married, I read about it in USA today on a plane to europe for our honeymoon (too busy with the wedding to watch racing that weekend). I was in Monaco the weekend of the Grand Prix that year, it was very bittersweet, so cool to drive past the pits and see F1 cars for the first time, so sad to know there would be no more banzai qualifying runs taking last minute poles on race weekend by the late great Ayrton Senna.