• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steering wheel lock and ignition question...

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Hmmm...searched for a thread about this but couldn't find anything...so here goes.

I had the ignition switch replaced last summer because the key was stuck and there was nothing to do but replace the whole unit. From the beginning, with the new igition lock in, the steering wheel didn't lock unless I really turned it hard so I just would pull the key out of the ignition with no prob and just leave the steering unlocked...I don't leave it parked anywhere much but in the garage.

Then today, I couldn't get the key back in the ignition...at all. After the AAA guy came and put the car in neutral to push it back to the tow truck, the steering wheel locked. He said he couldn't tow it now because we needed to turn the steering wheel...catch 22! So he left after saying a locksmith was on his way in a couple of hours, after waiting an hour and a half for this first AAA guy to come! SO, one more time my friend and I tried to get the key in.

After turning the steering wheel and finally getting the igniiton barrel to push in, I could get the key in and get home.

Now the question is this, friends: Is this the way this should have always worked and if so, should I be worried that I now can't get the key in without having to lock the steering wheel and do this new routine? I just don't get what happened now and want to make sure the steering won't do something stupid...like lock up on me while driving...I don't really think that would happen but please reassure me! I'll call the MG man this week and see what he thinks as well.

Thanks!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The steering wheel lock is engaged when the key is removed. When you put the key back in, after the key is in the lock you should be able to push it in a little more aganst the spring and rotate the top of the key toward the dash to unlock the wheel and then continue rotating to start the engine. Sometimes you might have to move the wheel a little to unlock it. Also, when you had the lock repaired, did they install the whole assembly or just the internal lock? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif PJ

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
I have never locked the wheel on this assembly so that was one thing I wondered about...I had the whole assembly done when I had it replaced.

It seems to do fine but I just wondered if the design was such that it should have been locking the wheel easier all along. Also, it was a replacement ignition switch and lock assembly from '73 on, so I don't know if that has any bearing on its behavior as opposed to the 1979 manual and info.

Thanks for the response! I thought I had asked something so obvious that no one was going to reply!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question, unless of course you don't ask it! There's some pretty cool people on this forum and if most don't respond, then they probably aren,t sure if they have an appropriate answer. Some will even research the problem before they respond. Keep the questions coming! We love them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif PJ

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well TN-MGB, you have got me interested enough that I have to check this out a little more. I have a 79 lock somewhere and a 72 lock, also somewhere. I'm going to dig them out and compare the two and see what the difference is if any. I think the ignition switch is different because of the wiring harness, but I don't know about the lock assembly. I'll get back when I find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif PJ

G

On the ones that I have pulled rebuilding steering columns, I have noticed no difference in anything that would keep them from being interchangeble, except the switch/harnness, although I was not looking to swap them into different columns

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
The only locks I have had trouble getting the key in are the ones that needed lubricating.
On mine, I can remove the key and the steering wheel will not lock until I turn the steering wheel a little. Is this how yours is working? If not, it sounds like something is not quite lining up correctly when you are turning the key for removal.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
I have to turn the steering wheel HARD to get it to lock...not quite 180 degrees but not far from it. Seems as though it should only have to turn a little to engage the lock but who knows?

I know Moss has a 2 year warranty on parts but I got this from The Little British Car Company. Anyone know right offhand what their warranty policy is?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
TNMGB I have to turn the wheel on my '76 pretty far to get the wheel to lock too. It's somewhere between 90 and 180 degs and then it locks into position. I don't put a lot of thought into how far I have to turn the wheel for it to lock. However, having it turned as far as it has to be does give me a small piece of mind when parking on hills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, Nunyas. That makes me feel a little better. I'll talk with the MG dude and see why he thinks it suddenly has to be locked/unlocked in order to insert the key.
Thanks!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
My 74B is the same way...it takes at least a quater turn to lock it and I have to turn the wheel to unlock it sometimes, or to get the key out or in. It is a little finicky, but always works eventually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

I find it easier just to pull the key out and put it in withoug turning the wheel to lock it. If anyone tries to mess with it while the key is out, the wheel will lock.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, the MG dude says this is the way the thing should be working so I guess I'm fine...whew! I still think it's weird that it suddenly won't let the key go in unless you start from a locked steering wheel position...oh well, at least I don't have to go back to the shop and have anything worked on...for now!

Thanks!