• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Steering Box Adjusting Screw

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Two questions about the Steering Box Adjusting Screw:

1. What does the tip look like? i.e. is it flat or rounded or what?

2. What are the threads?

In case you're wondering why I don't just take it out and look at it -- I no longer have the original part.

Many years ago I went with a modified lid and adjuster that had a spring-loaded pin - the idea (and it worked) was to allow tighter adjustment at the middle w/o any binding at the ends.

Thing is, that pin seems to have failed. The source of the adjustable model required my original box lid as a core, so presumably the hole for the adjustable pin is larger than for the original pin.

My plan it to make a solid pin from a bolt but I am unsure what shape to make the tip. Also, in a quick check at the hardware store, the only suitable size bolt they had was Grade 8 - I assume that would not be a good idea?

Thanks for any sympathy or advice.

The part may be repairable (isn't everything?) but the builder is on his way to VTR so it will be a bit before I know (and darned if I can figure out what holds the works together).

Adjustor1_zps0419cc79.jpg

Adjustor2_zpse89f9e38.jpg

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This came out of a TR3B box, It's yours if you want it.

Attachments

• DSC04843.jpg
    DSC04843.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC04842.jpg
    DSC04842.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 94
OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the offer but I suspect that the original screw may be smaller than the one I am using now -- that spring-loaded version has a diameter of 9/16".

At least I see the end of the original is simply flat.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Original diameter was less than 1/2", so knowing those threads isn't going to help (unless you want to just replace the whole top cover). If you do need the thread size, let me know and I'll go check.

Grade 8 would probably be OK, but might wear quicker than the original. An ordinary SHCS would be plenty hard though, I think. Either way, you'll want to grind the end flat and square.

JSabah

What is wrong with Grade 8. It is stronger than 5 and plain zinc coated. I use grade 8 often....so I was wondering what your thoughts were.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It is simply flat, very smooth, and presses against the cam. The proper setting of the tension is important. I set mine while the box was removed from the car, and nothing connected to it. I even removed the rubber bushing at the shaft connection end (nearest the split coupler) so I could feel the 'tight' spot in the very center of the cam. If the tension is too much, steering will be difficult. It the tension is too low, steering will wander at speed.

Only last week I scrapped a few of those top plates with the adjusting screws. -But I still have enough parts to make another good steering box. And I even have a spare plate with adjusting screw, that I would be happy to send you. PM me an address, and I'll get it in the mail. I've been moving the past few weeks, but I verified the location of my steering box parts in the garage, so you are in luck.

Jer

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for -

Randall confirming that the original screw is smaller than the adjustable one I have (and my current cover requires) and you're correct that just knowing that is enough, don't need the threads detail.

Jer - The offer of a top plate. Rather than have you part with something I might not need I'll wait and see if the current set-up can be repaired. I do like the spring-loaded adjuster (I'm thinking Healeys may have been designed that way) so if I can keep it I will.

As for not using Grade 8 -- that screw presses against the rocker shaft inside the steering box. It is well lubed but if something is going to wear I would rather it be the easily replaceable screw and not the shaft. I now have a Grade 5 that I will dress and use.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Unfortunately the wear occurs on the steering peg and worm...and not so much the adjuster and gear.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I do like the spring-loaded adjuster (I'm thinking Healeys may have been designed that way) so if I can keep it I will.
Kind of a shame, I was looking for your "before and after" impression. It has always seemed to me that the spring-loaded plunger solves a non-problem (the force of turning the wheels will take up any play off-center), while increasing steering effort. And in a hard turn, I suspect the spring compresses anyway, making the steering less precise. Certainly the only cars I've driven with the spring-loaded plungers were much worse than my TR3A (and now TR3) without it. But maybe they had other problems.

Maybe we can try each other's cars if I ever make it out your way again.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
The part may be repairable (isn't everything?) but the builder is on his way to VTR so it will be a bit before I know (and darned if I can figure out what holds the works together).

I'd like to try that spring loaded adjuster on my 3. Who is the builder and how could I get in touch with him?
Also....How much play in the steering wheel is normal when the whole steering system is properly set up? In other words how many inches from dead center should I be able to move the steering wheel to one side before the wheels actually move? I've seen a lot of "3"s where it's a couple of inches either way. I've installed the Delrin bushings in the drag link and replaced the idler arm and that has made a significant improvement. Now I'd like to dial in the steering box as much as possible without having to replace the whole unit.:eagerness:
Karl

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Maybe we can try each other's cars if I ever make it out your way again.

Or perhaps 2015 Triumphest?

My friend Ben with the eclectic British car collection finally got a Triumph and I am working on him about a cruise to San Diego next fall.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a similar set up as Karl, and I would hesitate to say I have *no* play in the steering wheel. I can turn it easy, and park with one hand (but generally use both). At 75mph, a 2" turn left and right turn will take me around a tractor-trailer that was in front of me. I'd like to swap cars with Geo if we happen across each other. -Or Randalls. The sad part is, recently, Randall and I were parked a few feet from each other and neither of us drove the others car. Some things, we don't make time for. Several club members and I have discussed swapping cars but we never do it. Maybe we are too hard to drag out of the drivers seat once we finally get in it. -or perhaps it's the old "better the devil I know, than the one I don't".