• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridgets, greatest production racer of all time?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Went to the Rocky mountain vintage racing association races at Hastings, NE yesterday, watched the cars run, Spridgets in two races, with the smaller cars a box Sprite won, beating an MGB, Porsche 914s, Porsche 356s, etc. many cars with more engine and horsepower, then.....

The mmedium bore stuff, and there is this silver bugeye that goes like stink, in the first heat beats a 60s corvette, B sports racer, many 911s, truly amazing, afternoon heat the B sports racer gets around it, but the Bugey runs aways from the 60s Corvette, the Lotus Elan, the Porsche 911s, etc. etc.

I think I read somewhere the the Spridget has probably won more races than any other car, 50 years after design and it is still spanking the big boys (many with later engineering and much bigger motors), is the Spridget the best production race car of all time????

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It may well be when used for the type of stuff it was designed for.
Hill climbs or twisting course type racing, where you can use the engine, gearing, suspension and steering the way is was intended.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Spites and Super 7s. Super 7s have been called "too fast to race", and have suffered from racing bans in both the US and England.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Elan was dubbed: "Super Sprite" back-when, too.
P'raps more as homage to the Sprite than to Lotus' innovative engineering. :wink:

bugimike

Yoda
As much as I love the Sprite (esp. the Bugeye!)and would agree to that title, let's not forget the racing history of the Mini too (cousin to the spridget)! One of the most entertaining races I ever watched was a little Mini racing a big old Cobra at Cumberland. Lap after lap the Cobra would win it down the straights only to have the Mini come back and pass him on the twisty bits!! :laugh:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One of th' Boffo brothers, most likely?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<span style="font-style: italic">Spridgets, greatest production racer of all time?</span>I

Of course, I'm prejudiced about this question.......
grin.gif

Certainly *one* of the best production racers for sure:

Overall, the first car I think of in this category is the Porsche 911.

And lots of my friends would mention the BMW 3 Series

Or even the Miata (it seems like there are zillions of them racing).

Also, the Corvette.

In "old school" terms, the MG T series and before that, the Bugatti T35B.

And certainly, the Mini, MGB, Spitfire and various UK Fords deserve mention.

A fun questions: The Spridget may be the best bang for the buck. :yesnod:

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
Yesterday, at the Limerock vintage races, in one event a Mini ran away from the pack for the entire race. In another, a Bugeye did the same. The Porches, Lotuses ( Loti?) and the rest couldn't touch them. Very cool.

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In the U.S., the first car that the SCCA outlawed was the Abarth Berlina Corsa with Radiale engine. It started with 28 hp, but when Abarth got through with it, had 100 hp. Many authors have suggested that the real success of Abarth was not getting raw horsepower out of small engines (which no one was better at), but the construction of exceptionally light and aerodynamic vehicles.

Attachments

• 18376.jpg
    18376.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 210
OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
aeronca65t--you know your cars, and a good argument can be made for a lot of them, the Sprite certainly wins on bang for the buck, also probably does pretty well on longevity and number of races won especially SCCA and vintage events.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
histerical said:
Yesterday, at the Limerock vintage races, in one event a Mini ran away from the pack for the entire race. In another, a Bugeye did the same. The Porches, Lotuses ( Loti?) and the rest couldn't touch them. Very cool.

Yep, I was there. Saw that same race. Very cool indeed!

And, although Abarths aren't as common, they are also neat little cars.

I race the little red, Canadian Abarth in ~THIS Video~ on a regular basis (slide to about 2:00 minutes). Great fun!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Auhh shucks, just when you were going to get another it was over.

Well done, enjoyed.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Anything powered by that little A series Austin engine was competitive in it's day an still is in many classes. I was lucky to be present at the Goodwood Reunion a few years ago when a tiny little Austin A35 bested the Saloon cars passing a Jag MKII on the last lap around the outside of Woodcote corner. He must have had that little engine turning about 9 zillion rpm or so it sounded as he swung wide around the Jag and the crowd was on there feet cheering him on. Amazing what that engine has done in all sorts of bodies.

Attachments

• 18378.jpg
    18378.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 175

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
bill_young said:
Anything powered by that little A series Austin engine was competitive in it's day an still is in many classes. I was lucky to be present at the Goodwood Reunion a few years ago when a tiny little Austin A35 bested the Saloon cars passing a Jag MKII on the last lap........

That's the Rae Davis A-35 (he has several, in different colours).

I'm building ~My Own Replica~ of his #4 blue car. Hope to have it rolling soon (the suspension is off right now) and racing in '10.

R. Davis #4 car
AustinA35.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
bill_young said:
Anything powered by that little A series Austin engine was competitive in it's day an still is in many classes. I was lucky to be present at the Goodwood Reunion a few years ago when a tiny little Austin A35 bested the Saloon cars passing a Jag MKII on the last lap around the outside of Woodcote corner. He must have had that little engine turning about 9 zillion rpm or so it sounded as he swung wide around the Jag and the crowd was on there feet cheering him on. Amazing what that engine has done in all sorts of bodies.

I saw that race on TV - it was WONDERFUL!!! Mr bean was I the other Jag as I recall

bugimike

Yoda
Yes, I saw that also and I believe you are right, it was Rowan Atkinson at the wheel of the Jag!!

I also must agree that the A series engine is the real winner whether in a Mini, a Spridget, an Austin, a "special", or whatever...small and light, that's the ticket!!

Country flag
abarth69 said:
In the U.S., the first car that the SCCA outlawed was the Abarth Berlina Corsa with Radiale engine. It started with 28 hp, but when Abarth got through with it, had 100 hp. Many authors have suggested that the real success of Abarth was not getting raw horsepower out of small engines (which no one was better at), but the construction of exceptionally light and aerodynamic vehicles.

That's not a real car....it's just a fatter version of a Mini!! LOL
Ok, ok, JUST KIDDING....!! :laugh: