• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No time for spridgets. Unbelievable...whew!

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Last week and this week I was hoping to spend some quality time doing some finish sanding and spotting on the midget since I thought I was caught up. Instead, I have got into a deluge of car problems that really make me appreciate the simplicity and common sense of a spridget. In my basement is my wife's festiva torn all apart. I ordered a new cooling system pressure tester and used it and found the source of the water dissappearance. It was the water pump, which is underneath the timing belt, man what a job. I had done the timing belt before a couple times, but to get to some of the water pump bolts I had to actually take a wrench and bend it to get them off. Then I put it all back together and it spun over very easy and was obviously out of time. I know I had the marks right, but took it back apart and discovered that the little metal flange on the crank timing pulley is loose and had moved from its original position, thus making the mark off on that pulley. I am now looking for a photo of a crank pulley so I can see where the mark is in relation to the keyway in the pully so I can get the car back in time. Also next we are going to pull the engine from my dads subaru for the 4th bloody time. Pulled it to repair a damaged crank and had the crank turned, new bearings and all. New oil pump also, new rings and all had been put in only 3k miles ago so that engine is like new. We put the engine back in and bolted the tranny up and everything was locked down. The guy who turned the crank had left a small ridge on the pilot hole and the torque converter would not go in all the way. Pulled the engine and fixed that and put it back in, my dad drove it for a day and the torque converter seal blew out dumping all the fluid in the road. Pulled the engine again and inmstalled a new seal. All was well until Sunday when my dad drove it to church and someone noticed a leak coming from the soobie. It was not dumping but was steady leaking tranny fluid. So we are ready to pull the engine again /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif This evening my wife needed to run an errand and her car was apart in the basement, so I let her drive my truck. When she got back she said it smelled funny and I found that one of the front brake calipers had locked up and that wheel was very hot. Now we are down to the kia sportage as the only working car and it has the sailboat attached to it. The motorcyle runs good but with the shoulder situation I can't ride it and the wife doesn't have the endorsement on her license to ride the bike. When it rains its pours sometimes. Sorry this is so long and not really spridget related, but I needed to tell someone. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Only one thing to say like a card.

Get well soon.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Bummer man! Hang in there!

But yes, modern cars are so much more complex. I tell people my Land Rover has four computer, my MGB has four fuses! I'm sure the BE is even simpler, it only has two!

Hope your tomorrow is better!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well we have 4 as well but two are spares. LOL

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sounds like you're having all the fun, Kim. Hopefully this too shall pass...

bugimike

Yoda
If it will make you feel any better Kim, I am down to one out of four vehicles right now too! E-350 needs a new ring gear, BE needs tranny work, Lincoln now (as of last Thu.) needs a new engine! At least the E-150 Conversion Van is a reliable old girl! When I can make like Basil, and get the garage to where it is usable again, I will hopefully make some positive moves mechanically! Good luck to you and your projects, just watch aggravating that injury is all!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Kim:

Just take it one project at a time and easy on the shoulder.

Pat

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My goodness man, some people have all the luck. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

terriphill

Darth Vader
Days like today are there so we know when we are having a REALLY GOOD day. This too shall pass and here's wishing for many good days to follow. Hang in there!!

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Update, got the festiva all in time and all service work done, got my dads subaru engine back in with a new seal and no leaks so far (fingers crossed). Bought a new caliper for the pickup and got the hub off to have the rotor turned on that side, so hopefully that will be squared away soon. Truck just turned 60,000 so I did a timing belt and serpetine belt on it while waiting on the rotor, also oil and filter. Today I had one small setback when the festiva handle that turns the wipers on and off seems to have broken or come loose and needs to be fixed. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be all caught up and ready to continue on the midget.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
That's more than I've done all month.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Man, that man has energy.

bugimike

Yoda
And all while on the "injured list"!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have learnt (british spelling there) that one can do many things with one arm if you think things through and have patience. Still doing my physical therapy and can't lift more than a cup of coffee with my right hand till the doc says so. Hopefully I will be caught up today and can clean the basement a bit and then start back with the wet sanding.

bugimike

Yoda
You remind me of the little engine that could, Kim! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Festiva is all done. Used a finishing nail to make a repair of the windshield wiper handle and it works. Also replaced two rotten speakers in the front that the wife had been complaining of for months and then washed it and cleaned under the hood and took it hot rodding around a bit to make sure everything worked and no leaks. Now, if my nephew would finish with my truck brake rotor, I could finish with it and clean up and then concentrate on the midget.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Go man go.