• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is there a Cruise Control for Spridgets?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Anyone have or have knowledge of a cruise control for a Spridget? I've done a search on the site for the last year or so but no luck; I understand that there used to be a motorcycle aftermarket cruise control that might have been adaptable but is no longer available. I'm curious for both the Spridgets as well as old air-cooled VW Beetles.

Thanks,
Doug

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I did a hand-control lock on mine but it was less than satisfactory when one is convoying. I have a couple of old "after-market" ones that I want to try but haven't gotten to it yet.
If I recall correctly Dave Lieb in Chicago (or was it Glen burns) did one using the coil as the speed sensor that worked well. I will try to replicate that work.
BillM

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Get up with Spritenut. He had a real nice one at the Lake of the Ozarks.

Country flag
The audiovox units work ok if you add a vacuum reservoir.

I used a rostra unit that is controlled with an electronic servo. I mounted mine under the dash so that the only thing extra under the hood is the cable running to the carb.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not a Midget but I knew someone who installed his in his Sunbeam Tiger - switches were in the ashtray which I always thought was cool. Likely you could find something in the various hot rod magazines

Country flag
The Rostra unit is the one that is popular with the Street Rod. Also sold as Dakota Digital.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Mine came from Audiovox and works great.
It even cancels when I step on the clutch as it has an impulse from the tach.
I did not use the magnets on the driveshaft either.
Simple, around $100, and the switches are mounted on the radio console right where my fingers can touch them as I drive with my hand on the shift knob most of the time anyway.
I did get the vacuum reserve which was extra and other than following the directions, the only modification I made was to the carb heat shield to attach the cable. So now my carb shield has 2 cables, the original throttle and next to it, the cruise control cable. I had to make a 2 cable cable end for the gas and cruise cables but that was just some grinding and drilling to a 1/4" bolt to accept both cables.
And on the open Interstate from Jersey to Missouri I got 42 mpg and my engine is not stock :smile:
I bought mine from Amazon.com 2 years ago.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Spritenut: Amazon lists an Audiovox Ultracruise II 250-1316 Electronic Cruise Speed Control Kit for $ 200; I also had a look at the Audiovox Internet site and they don't list cruise controls.
Is this the same model as you installed? We're running a side draft Weber - can you see any problems with that?
Thanks,
Doug

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
Yeah my 6'2 frame and foot wedged up against the tunnel on the right side and my left knee crammed under the window winder on the other.

Mark

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Audiovox CCS-100 is my cruise unit.
$89 2 years ago plus the vacuum ball which is the size of a large orange was another few bucks.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I'm not a fan of cruise control but when I lived in the desert I put one on a old mustang two. It came from JC whitey and would fit any car. It was really an engine rpm control, but for a straight drive its the same thing when locked in high gear. I put a similar one on the wifes festiva. Its still on there but she don't use it much. Make sure you get the adjustable gain kind.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Trevor - can you advise as to which Rostra you installed, and if there were any additional bits/options that you used?
Thanks,
Doug

Country flag
250-1223 and 250-3592

I have an electronic speedo in my car and I used the speed signal from it. I do not know if you can run it just off the tach. It is highly configurable for gain, and surge, etc.