• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AutoZone Parts list for Spridgets....

robdmau

So I am very surprised that AutoZone has as many Spridget parts that it does... I mean there is a lot, alternators, carb rebuild kits, distributors, belts, air and oil filters, has anyone purchased from here before?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Just because it is listed doesn't mean it is correct. Some of the consumables should be fine, headlights, certain oil filters, fuel filters, and potentially belts. Just keep in mind that our cars have often been modified so what should fit doesn't always. Others will jump in here but personally I use the Big 3 for nearly all my bits that are car specific. Don't even think about JC Whitney etc...

RickB

Yoda
NAPA has good stuff, I've gotten SU carb bits and brake wheel cylinders and of course pads & shoes and many other things. So far they haven't provided wrong stuff at least for my 78 Midget.
Haven't tried them for the MK2 Sprite yet - I imagine that would get tricky.

Country flag
I've purchased plenty of stuff at the local NAPA. Most of the time they can get it to me by afternoon if I call them in the morning.

I look at the part before I pay for it, and if I decide I do not like they way it looks... then I'm out no money and they simply restock it at their warehouse.

OP
robdmau

robdmau

Interesting... I do not have a NAPA close to me but I will check with them too...

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
A lot of the parts in our cars are generic. I collected a bit of information on this, and started a thread in the Wiki (Spridgets section, Technical Tips). Unfortunately, no one has added to it, as the Wiki seems to be ignored these days.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I called the local Napa store and bought a set of points for my Spitfire that their web site said would work. Looked at them when I picked them up and didn't think they would work. Once I got them home, I realized they were totally wrong. Returned them and took my old set in, he went to the "book" and brought out an awesome set of points in an old Echlin box. They weren't cheap, but sure look good. Strangely enough, I still haven't fired it up, but believe it should fix the driveability problems I was having.

OP
robdmau

robdmau

AWESOME... Good to know :smile:

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
Facet electronic low flow fuel pumps, points and condenser from NAPA. Caliper seals from AutoZone are a couple of items I have picked up that are correct or work properly.

Mark

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I did a light rebuild on my MBG using mostly AutoZone parts....rings, rod bearings, headgasket plus all other gaskets. Actually, the engine was OK internally, but I pulled it apart because it had been sitting for so long and I figured I'd clean things out and swap in some new parts. Also got tune up parts (points & plugs) plus wheel cylinders and flex brake hoses.

I had to buy lifters from Moss (a few were beat up so I replaced all).

G

aeronca65t said:
I did a light rebuild on my MBG using mostly AutoZone parts....rings, rod bearings, headgasket plus all other gaskets.

Just curious, why'd you go that route v.s the usual suspects? I would think "the zone" would be higher. I know Advance and Pep are.

Country flag
Retail price may be higher, but jobber price is probably less.

G

Not at Zone, they're charging full pop for commercial accounts. That's why I stopped dealing with them.

Country flag
Advanced Auto and Napa still have jobber accounts... I think.

Also Bumper to Bumper?

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
If any way possible I’ll source out the smaller independent rather then running to one of the big box store. In my view they are nothing more that a Wal-Mart in the automotive business. Big boxes have put so many very experienced local guys out of business because the average Joe sitting down doing his one arm curls catching the high priced brain washers on his TV, talking about how great their products are and all the BS about their life time warranties ect. It’s ironic how the midget morons soak that propaganda up like a sponge.

hooey

:iagree: god I miss the small independent shops where you could
go and talk to someone that had a clue about cars :smile:
now you go in and try to get a part for your MG
and the next thing you hear is ! so what year is that GM you got and thay don't even know what a MG is

G

Trevor Jessie said:
Advanced Auto and Napa still have jobber accounts... I think.

Also Bumper to Bumper?

Advance does but only gives a small amount off and onlt things behind the counter. Everything else is full pop and tax. Napa will have a "better" commercial discount, however; it'll still be more than the big box stores.

Yes, that is correct. The big box guys put folks like me out of a career. Always wanted my own store but it aint happening now.

Intenet may squash the boxes, at least I hope so.

Country flag
The local auto parts place in my old home town gives discounts to "car clubs". I think it really helps their business. They are still open and busy despite the fact that the town now has 2 big box stores. But as those "old car guys" die off I guess the local auto store might go with them.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
kellysguy said:
....Just curious, why'd you go that route v.s the usual suspects? I would think "the zone" would be higher. I know Advance and Pep are.

Moss used to be located locally to me (one mile from my job). So I could order via the web or phone and pick up at their counter....which I liked.
If I didn't like something (or it was wrong), I could turn it back in right away.

I can do the same thing with Autozone (order and pick up locally). Prices (for the MGB stuff)were a bit lower too. I still like Moss (and the others). I just bought stuff from Moss and Brit Northwest last week (plus a UK supplier). It depends on who's got what and, of course, shipping costs.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Fellow LBC owners,the reality to LBC market is that the few who own one of these classics or antiques are so fortunate that they have people that feel as passionate to the sport as you do. They have and hopefully will continue to research, engineer, and produce the unique components for our hobby. Moss, BV, and BP Northwest, spend copious amounts of money in the R&D to provide us with that unusual component that only will fits your car. Your dollars that buy the trivia components that ever big box store has could go to the people that are supporting you with that unusual part that the big boxes have never heard of, or care nothing about. Thoughts profits from the trivia parts help cover the expenses of the R&D to provide a component that is on your car that has not been reproduced. If you haven’t notice then you should, MOSS, VB and other have moved into other lines of specialty cars because of time and attrition. They realize that the LBC market has peeked and is on the decline. You have to ask this question, do I want to grow this market or maintain this market or let it die by running to the big boxes for my incidentals, it all adds up. Their for if you really want the LBC market to continue then wise up and smell the roses because if we continue to support the big boxes even for one spark plug and not the small guys one day you gona say what happen!!!