• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Bumper Removal Woes

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I am attempting to remove the chrome rear bumper bar on Harold. I've hit two problems.

1) When trying to undo the nut on one of the over-riders, the whole shaft turns when I turn the nut. I seem to remember from when I removed the over-riders on the front bumper that the shaft is welded in place inside the over-rider. Has the weld failed? If so, why doesn't the thing just fall off? In any case, how should I proceed to release the over-rider?

2) One of the chrome round headed bolts turns when I turn the nut to release it on the inside the bumper. I don't see any way of gripping it at the head in order to unscrew the nut on the inside. Any suggestions?

(I've PB-Blastered the heck out of everything!)

Thanks!
Julian

ronzi

2) Can you jam a screwdriver blade under the head of the bolt to keep it from turning? Or maybe a C-clamp?

Afraid I don't have any suggestion on #1, as my overriders seem to be held on differently, with a nut welded inside the overrider, and a bolt through the bumper bracket into the nut.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It happens with age & rust...the only way I've ever been able to solve that one is with a big vice grip...& I usually ended up ruining the overrider....

See if you can remove the entire bumper intact at the brackets that go through the body (on some cars you can do that)...

Then you might be able to lay it on a bench & cut the bolt with an air tool.

Steve_S

Yoda
1. The overrider should have female threads. I don't see how the bolt can spin without coming loose.

2. Get a die grinder, or a dremel as an alternative. Cut a deep slot in the round end of the carriage bolt. Use a large flat head screwdriver to keep it from spinning.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
jjbunn said:
I am attempting to remove the chrome rear bumper bar on Harold. I've hit two problems.

1) When trying to undo the nut on one of the over-riders, the whole shaft turns when I turn the nut. I seem to remember from when I removed the over-riders on the front bumper that the shaft is welded in place inside the over-rider. Has the weld failed?---------Yep !!

If so, why doesn't the thing just fall off?---Just ornery! It ia a pressed in thread that spins in the hole. In any case, how should I proceed to release the over-rider?---------------Use a cut off tool and cut the bolt head off.

2) One of the chrome round headed bolts turns when I turn the nut to release it on the inside the bumper. I don't see any way of gripping it at the head in order to unscrew the nut on the inside. Any suggestions?

-----------Yep !! cut slots in the nut with a cut off tool use a large screw driver to split the nut. Ifn you got a nut splitter he work too----Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

(I've PB-Blastered the heck out of everything!)---The /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif is in the details.

Thanks!---You welcome
Julian

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My first inclination is to suggest removal of the assembly by unbolting it from the chassis. Then you can go at it on the floor. The over-rider should have a welded nut on the inside face of the vertical inner "strap". A cheap 6 point box end wrench could be heated and bent to get a grip on it. 5/8" IIRC. Not sure, tho.

Only way to get one of the chrome headed studs out if it's spun the locking slots is to cut the nut off at the inside.

Anti-seize all those fasteners on re-assembly.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks for all the traditionally helpful ideas: I'd go crazy without this forum.

In fact, when I took a second look today, I realised that I didn't need to remove either the overrider or the twisty chrome bolt, since the whole bumper bar can be removed just by undoing the two large nuts that hold the whole affair onto the body. If I were replacing the bumper it would be a different story, but I just need to remove it so I can paint.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Yep !! But it still gonna rattle when you put it back on.----Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Keoke said:
-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Yep !! But it still gonna rattle when you put it back on.----Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Good point! Hmmm ... maybe a spot of SuperGlue might do the trick :smile:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope, cut it off & replace the bolt.