• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Really dumb diff mount question?

StupidHippie

Freshman Member
My TR6 is showing no signs of having a diff pin problem...I am installing poly mounts just because of the age of the existing original mounts.

Assuming the pins are in sound condition, is it possible to drop the diff enough to change the mounts without disconnecting the driveshafts?

Rob Brophy
1974.5 TR6

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Only the rear 2 and the lower front ones.
The extra stiff poly mounts do not absorb the stress from torque as well as the rubber ones.
That stress will be transfered somewhere else.
Perhaps showing up in the axle splines, or the mounting brackets and accentuate any slack or play that has developed due to wear in the differential. I just think they tend to make the diff. too rigid, unless all the rear end/suspension components are in tip top shape.

OP
StupidHippie

StupidHippie

Freshman Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll pull it all apart and have a looksee while I'm there.

I'm after longevity more than performance...saw the rubber mounts available and didn't like the look of them.

Rob

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know about the looks. They are definetly of a different composition. As far as longevity, 20 or 30 years is not exactly a temporary fix.

T

Tinster

StupidHippie said:
is it possible to drop the diff enough to change the mounts without disconnecting the driveshafts?

Rob Brophy
1974.5 TR6

<span style="color: #660000">Rob- if you figure out a procedure to do that-
please post it with photos. I had to take the entire differential
out of my 1969 TR6 to install new mounts. But then,
I know very little of auto mechanics.

d</span>

OP
StupidHippie

StupidHippie

Freshman Member
If I could buy original composition rubber mounts I would have.

I doubt the Asian manufactured mounts I saw would last a fraction of the original's 34 years. Are any of the parts sellers offering OEM mounts?

Rob

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know about that. The ones I got from Moss have only been on a little less than a year, so I don't think I could really compare to the old ones I took off.
Really the front ones, the old ones, weren't bad. I know that oil will deterioate rubber, but these looked OK. The rear ones were a little different. The metal inner sleeve had lost it's bond to the rubber and was more or less free floating. You could hear the metal sleeve clinking on the metal stud when the diff torqued up.
I hope they last as long as I have the car.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
poolboy said:
Only the rear 2 and the lower front ones.
The extra stiff poly mounts do not absorb the stress from torque as well as the rubber ones.
That stress will be transfered somewhere else.
Perhaps showing up in the axle splines, or the mounting brackets and accentuate any slack or play that has developed due to wear in the differential. I just think they tend to make the diff. too rigid, unless all the rear end/suspension components are in tip top shape.

Poolboy..... I think I'm seeing that right now. Nylatron diff and TA bushings, Nissan 4.08 diff = clunky axles. My winter project is to sort this all out!

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, I saw that on the other Forum, Bob. It got me remembering my reason for going back with the rubber mounts. Coincidentally Rob B brought up the subject here today, too.
I really think there's something to it. As you implied, the stress from the torque has got to be dealt with somewhere..
I'm thinking it's similar to motor and transmission mounts. They have to be flexible enough to absorb or give with stress.
Seems to me that the only thing more rigid than the poly mounts would be if the diff. were bolted directly to the frame.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
That very reason that I pulled all the poly mounts out of my car's suspension and went back with rubber everywhere. It handles just fine with rubber.

Oh, and never buy the gum from the vending machines in the gas station men's room - it tastes like rubber!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
...Oh, and never buy the gum from the vending machines in the gas station men's room - it tastes like rubber!

And the balloons don't get very big

OP
StupidHippie

StupidHippie

Freshman Member
OK Poolboy...your reasoning has sold me. I've purchased the rubber set as well and will install them instead of the poly mounts. I'd rather change the mounts again in a few years than face a serious frame repair.

Tinster...If it can happen that way, I'll post pix.

Thanks all,
Rob

T

Tinster

I installed the rubber mounts and after
a solid two years on the pins and 67 miles
total driven; they seem like new.

d :devilgrin: