• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN1 sitting lower at left rear - I'm told that's normal - really?

Crowbar

Hello all,

I purchased an early 1954 BN1 about a year ago, and have noticed that the left rear of the car is sitting a bit lower.

When I put the car up on the lift, the left spring does seem slightly de-arched at the left front shackle...

However, when I called a recent Healey parts supplier here in the U.S. I was told that this is normal - "it's just the way the cars are sprung", and the proprietor told me this was confirmed many years ago in a discussion with Geoff Healey...apparantly this has nothing to do with the driver being on the left, as the same phenomenon is present in RHD cars in Britain apparantly.

I'm a bit suspicious - is this true? I was planning on replacing the rear leaf's - but this may not solve the problem.

Any input from those in the know would be appreciated.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Crowbar - before buying new springs, you could swap them and see if the problem follows.

When I got my car, the bumper mounts were slightly crooked, giving the car the appearance of being lower on one side. That was more of an optical illusion than actually being lower.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Google "Bachelor's Lean" and you'll find it's a common problem with LBCs. Unfortunately, there's a lot of disagreement over the cause and solution. New springs have worked for some while others have had good luck using spacers on the front spring on the same side of the car with the low spring, figuring it will load the opposite side rear spring and bring up the low rear spring.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Crowbar said:
" when I called a recent Healey parts supplier here in the U.S. I was told that this is normal "

NO !

T.he previous owner was either overweight or never had a passenger in the car.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My Sprites did it, Healey 100 did not, just drove and MGB that was about 1.5" low. It happens, some springs seem more prone to sag than others, cheap solution swap sides and hope theyou sag to match, more expensive option new springs on both sides and hope the driver's side doesn't sag again.

They were not "built that way" (if anything such engineering would logically have the drivers side higher/stiffer, not lower) but they often get that way. Rusty old parts can make the job a bit of a bear if the springs have been on a while.

OP
C

Crowbar

My Sprites did it, Healey 100 did not, just drove and MGB that was about 1.5" low. It happens, some springs seem more prone to sag than others, cheap solution swap sides and hope theyou sag to match, more expensive option new springs on both sides and hope the driver's side doesn't sag again.

They were not "built that way" (if anything such engineering would logically have the drivers side higher/stiffer, not lower) but they often get that way. Rusty old parts can make the job a bit of a bear if the springs have been on a while.

So I replaced both springs with 7 leaf replacements from Dennis Welsh (previous springs were Moss).

The left lean is reduced - but not gone. Where before I had an almost 2 inch difference between the left and right, now I have about a .75 inch difference. It may be a frame issue (twisting), who really knows, but things look better, and I'm probably the only one who notices it - though it does drive me nuts!

So here's a crazy thought...

I may try shimming the left rear spring between the spring itself and the wedge-shaped "packing" piece. I've ordered some flat "packing" pieces from the 3000 that I may try to cut to fit.

My only concern is that I may not have enough thread left on the U-bolts to get them back on with the packing in place...we shall see.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi GC,

As many have indicated, the perception of an uneven stance is often accentuated by the way panels are applied to the Healey's semi-monocoque inner structure and can present a frustrating condition when trying to even up the stance of the car. Add to this condition the fact that the Healey's springs are not the greatest and are often weakened by age, torque, and fact that the driver is most commonly the only one in the car and you have your condition.

Renewing springs is a good step forward, however, often raises the car far higher then appropriate at first. Settling to a proper height often take a number of months but sometimes continues before coming to rest. A block can be placed between the axel housing and spring but this will lower the car as the rear is mounted above the spring and not, as in other cars, below. To even out your stance, and with the new springs providing sufficient height, I would place an appropriately sized block on the high side to lower the body until an even distance is presented between the rear fender openings and the ground.

The block selected will not be as large as the difference between the fenders first measured and you will need to experiment to find an appropriate block thickness to use when lowering the high side. I would use different blocks of wood until I was satisfied and then replace the wood with a block of hard rubber. Driving the car short distances between fittings would allow the suspension to settle to get a good measurement between sides.

My thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
C

Crowbar

Ray...many thanks!

I was going to shim the low side...but now that I think about it you're absolutely right - shimming the low side will only lower that side more. You've saved me hours of work! I'll plan in shimming the high side! The difference between the two sides is about 1"...I'll try and start with .5". Frankly I don't know that the stock u-bolts will allow anything more than that.

Now...I wonder where I can get the hard rubber material for the shim. I was thinking of using wood - but that seems just too "bodged" for my liking. Any advice on where to source the rubber?

Again Ray, thanks!

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree with British_Recovery. Those ubolts need to be really tight and I don't think want a compressible material, could cause rear axle movement and/or come loose after a while. I've never seen a car with something compressible between the spring saddle and the spring.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Since you have replaced the springs and still have a sag I would take a close look at the front suspension as well, raising tbe front right would lower the left rear, etc. And vice versa, so if the back is off the front is likely off too, unless the frame is in fact tweaked, bent, or compromised in some way.

Lutz Kramer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My BJ8, which I drive in Germany, is a RHD. Without the driver both sides have the same hight. When I sit in the car (!on the right driver side!) this side is about 2" lower. Since most cars in the states are LHD it is commen that usually the left side is lower but I would guess not because for structural reasons but rather for the springs that became weaker due to the fact that they had to carry more weight over 40-50 years.

I will find out next winter when I will replace all (4) springs.