• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rad bulkhead plates production run?

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
My Sister owns a large sheet metal shop with a CNC punch press and related CNC brake, shear, etc. This is a full on shop with integrated CAD to machine capability and I can get custom work done at cost. Due to the nature of these machines the labour incremental cost to make a small run is little more than a one of.

My new rad did not help in traffic so I am going to try and improve the Healey hot air recirculation by blocking off the front bulkhead as many of you have already done and wonder if there are others who would like these parts as well.

It is a lot to ask that she do all the design and CAD work, and I do not have the drawings nor expertise to know what works. Rather than reinvent the wheel several time I imagine to get it right, can anyone provide the drawings or sketches for proven fit parts so that I can get it converted to CAD.

I will then make a small run for those interested at my cost. Naturally I do not have a cost at this point but it will be at materials + labour at cost, so one could not do much better even beating them out oneself.

Anyone interested and can anyone provide the drawings?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Maybe Ray Carbone's or Randy Forbes' setups would lend themselves to being manufactured as described above.

Andrea on this forum has the rally "scoop" air deflectors fitted. Maybe it would be possible to redesign those to incorporate fresh air and heater air intakes on the sides.

My panels were the result of several iterations of cut cardboard followed by cutting and fitting the aluminum panels -- this is essentially a craft process.

IMO what one would have to do is hand-build the panels, then remove them and flatten them back out in order to create any drawings.

With all the variations in Healeys, I would be reluctant to trust that the resulting panels would fit other Healeys. So the panels would need to be prototyped and tried on several cars of different models.

Just my 2 quid.

OP
H

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
49, married, 3 kids

Either aluminium or steel, but I was thinking aluminium. It makes no difference to her production process so if there is an advantage to steel other than the ease pf painting then let me know.

the hand build craft process is my last resort and the big hope is that someone who has already done this made a dimensioned sketch.
The variation between cars is also a concern as you say but all I can do is proceed suing my car as a test mule.

If it can be done it would be a worthwhile project and I am sure of interest to others. I am fed up with running hot and determined to cure this once and for all. The panels will not be the magic bullet but will go a long way to addressing the issue

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
49, married, 3 kids

Either aluminium or steel, but I was thinking aluminium. It makes no difference to her production process so if there is an advantage to steel other than the ease pf painting then let me know.

the hand build craft process is my last resort and the big hope is that someone who has already done this made a dimensioned sketch.
The variation between cars is also a concern as you say but all I can do is proceed suing my car as a test mule.

If it can be done it would be a worthwhile project and I am sure of interest to others. I am fed up with running hot and determined to cure this once and for all. The panels will not be the magic bullet but will go a long way to addressing the issue

IMO a setup like Ray's and/or Randy's in combination with an oil cooler would provide good results, especially in a temperate place like Vancouver.

The other thought I had after my work was done is: I wonder what could be done with fabric (such as vinyl or canvas) to enclose the lower area where the tie rods move around.

bluegrass john

Country flag
I cannot help with design but would be more than casually interested in purchasing the end product; keep us informed as to your progress !!

Thank,
John

RAC68

Darth Vader
To meet the objective, I would suggest 4 primary areas be addressed with a combination of soft and hard blocks. The first and most obvious is below the cold air duct around the steering box to the left of the radiator. The second would close in the area below the heater duct input with the third closing in the area below the radiator and closing in the area below the radiator bottom tank and cross member. Rubber sealing flaps could be used to close shock openings and provide sealing between panels and radiator while a seal on top of the radiator and bulkhead would block air from flowing over as with the Jag XKE. A forth panel could be combined with the third to close in the bottom radiator tank and extend a short distance back to close in the engine compartment from air penetration between the cross member that disrupts cooling directional flow from the fan.

These are initial thoughts and I would also suggest that steel panels, rather then aluminum, be used to be consistent with the present construction.

Thoughts,
Ray (64BJ8P1)