• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Aluminum Rad

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
C, G & J, Inc., has a good sale on TR8 aluminum radiators. They want an additional $40 to add lugs for an electric fan and $100 for a shroud. I want the lugs but am undecided about the shroud. Is a shroud worth the extra money?

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Don, yes, it is for an A/C TR8. I'm wondering if a shroud would require more space. My car isn't easily accessible for inspection right now.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't think they ever had a shroud or if it would fit
How deep is it

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I've never seen an 8 with a shroud, but if it is beneficial and if it fits, originality is not an issue for me. I'm hoping someone who has converted to an aluminum rad might chime in. I'll try to get a look at my 8 today to see if I can ascertain the amount of room available. I will also want a petcock added. Maybe C,G &J will be able to furnish more info.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Are you using the stock A/C fans, or something else? Do they have a picture of what the shroud looks like?

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I purchased the 14" Maradyne fan M142K. I wasn't able to raise the car to get a good look from the bottom, but the two stock fans each have a 2 3/4" wide ring which clear the coil at the top. If the 14" fan ring doesn't quite clear, the coil could probably be moved a bit to provide clearance. There doesn't appear to be a place to locate a petcock on the stock rad. C,G&J don't provide a pic on their site. They called the shroud a "shroud/ring" on their email response to my email. I will need to phone them to get further details.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here is a link on an article showing installation of an aluminum radiator on an A/C car using an aftermarket fan. You will have to use some of the original fan mounting. If the fan in this article is the same as you are using, I wouldn't personally bother with a shroud. The fan already covers a good portion of the radiator, and I'd worry that the shroud would interfere with airflow when moving, depending on how it is designed.

https://thebritishcar.com/showthread.php?908-Maradyne-Fan-Install

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I'm using the same fan as Woody's conversion, but I don't know what radiator he uses. His procedure uses the fan as a front mounted pusher secured with thin rods through the fins. I prefer a puller fan mounted on welded lugs as offered by C,G & S and plan to follow the factory workshop manual's removal procedure which does not include cutting the top fan frame supports. That's the plan, anyway. At this point I'm also thinking of going without the ring/shroud as you suggest, but will try to get more info from C, G & S.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Woody sells the Griffin radiator (or did a year or so ago). I didn't realize he was showing at a pusher, I also would prefer to mount as a puller with welded lugs (that is how I have the Wizard Cooling radiator on my TR4A setup). And of course if you have the A/C condenser still there, you have to do a puller.

But I'm not sure on your comment about not cutting the frame supports. The top plate mounts to the car, and has the ballast resistor and coil mounting, but has legs that support the stock fans. They will be in the way of your new fan if you don't remove them. Then you can bolt the top frame to the car, insert the radiator, and then bolt up the bottom piece. Here is the top plate and frame with the bottom frame removed.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 92
OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Great photo. I see what you mean. The stock fan frame support will have to be cut off the top plate. Thanks for the great info.

Will the bottom allow room for a petcock? It looks like the edge rolls up a bit around the bottom of the radiator.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Will the bottom allow room for a petcock? It looks like the edge rolls up a bit around the bottom of the radiator.

I'll see if I can get a picture of that area. You might have to have it installed a bit higher. Or you could use a plug instead of a petcock, which would still be less messy than pulling the bottom hose.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Forgive me if this isn't applicable to what y'all are doing, but have you looked into the Porsche Boxster fans? As I recall from when I did my TR8, they are just about a direct fit in the original fan framing and do a great job of cooling.

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for the response, Mickey. I considered the Boxter fan but purchased the 14" Maradyne fan instead.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here is the bottom corner of my aluminum rad, looks like there is plenty of room there for a petcock. And if you are removing the stock fan setup, there would be even less in the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 88
OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I phoned C,G&J. The rad comes with a petcock on the bottom left. The photo on their web site shows it (I had to enlarge the photo to see it). They asked me to send them a drawing with measurements for the fan lug locations. I hope to get the requested info to them and order this weekend. Here's their TR8 rad info:
https://www.cgj.com/store/product/tr-6009-triumph-tr8-radiator/ Thanks, Darrell. Your photos and help are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: