• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question five

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
why did I take up British Cars as a hobby? is there not enough misery in the world and enough confusion in my life? :wall:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It could be worse - you could have French cars.........

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
why did I take up British Cars as a hobby? is there not enough misery in the world and enough confusion in my life? :wall:

Apparently not!

Still, even the frustrations have their uses. I spent all last week working every day on my Morris -- a car that I thought was good to go when I bought it. A lot of $$$ and time later it's just about where I wanted it last summer. Still, that week of work really did take my mind of my other stresses, and lots was learned (like don't buy a car modified by an unknown other person :grin:smile:.

And when they're right, they're just so good for the soul. :driving:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag

Because masochism is just too boring.

I can definitely relate to the "I want to push the car off a cliff" feeling. But, then eventually it all comes together and then you remember why you love these little cars.

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You could give them to me I need some more misery in my life

Cheers

Mark

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You could give them to me I need some more misery in my life

Cheers

Mark

Nah, you have more than enough misery already! I've seen your garage. :p

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've got two Bug-Eye Sprites, and an AH-3000, a Meyers Manx clone dune buggy, a 72 and a 73 BMW 2002s - all of which are waiting for parts and need 'just a little bit more work'.... I think 'Waiting for Godot' is the epitomy of optimism. Oh! and the two seasonally unemployed motorcycle mechanics who have shared the head banging on the Sprites and the Dune Buggy have escaped to real jobs.....
This - and doing drywall - are the ultimate way of learning to appreciate the skills of others. Doug

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, quick follow up. Today is the first show of the season. Last night I got the grill back on (still only one horn but at least one horn!) Got the dashpot topped up, got her started, she smoked and sputtered and stalled and showed no pressure - and then, I drove over to Mark's (Abarth 69) by which it was running without stalling and I had a solid 55-60 lbs of pressure. He gave me some gasline anti freeze - I gassed it up (shell - no ethanol!) and went for a drive. Driving by the lake, tunes on the radio, people craning out of the car to get pictures - and suddenly I remembered why!

Life is good! cheers! :driving::banana::cheers:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So I may have spoken too soon

knitting anyone?

left her oil all over the highway

Country flag
I do not mind needing the occasional tow, but I hate it when the tow truck operate dispenses "wisdom" about British cars. :(

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I do not mind needing the occasional tow, but I hate it when the tow truck operate dispenses "wisdom" about British cars. :(

This guy was just intrigued - and loved the Vauxhall (go figure) he even said it was a slow morning and he could take me by the show :smile:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Carried home on your shield. A sad thing to see, but that's why we have the plans with extra towing...

Hope it's not too serious a failure.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Spot the difference - answers on a postcard

stripped threads in the block - interestingly I actually heard it "ping" as it exited the car. Have to either helicoil or rethread the hole and I am good to go. Missed the show but, on the plus side it is simple, minor, engine is fine and I won't need to undercoat the car for a couple of years.

catfood

Jedi Knight
but I hate it when the tow truck operate dispenses "wisdom" about British cars.

Or when the AA man says 'Oh hello, you again' as I broke within 20 yards of the same place I had the week before. To add insult to injury he asks me for the broom handle as he remembers the car tried to decapitate him last time (weak bonnet gas struts)!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Or when the AA man says 'Oh hello, you again' as I broke within 20 yards of the same place I had the week before. To add insult to injury he asks me for the broom handle as he remembers the car tried to decapitate him last time (weak bonnet gas struts)!

:lol: as I wipe tea off my keyboard!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well - pan off, threaded insert tapped and inserted and pan reattached. Waiting for it to dry and then oil tomorrow and I am good to go.

Interestingly, I had used hylomar on the gasket and there was a lot of it in little chunks at the bottom of the oil pan - enough to clog an oil way or an oil pump - so perhaps this has been a helpful repair in the long run - and I used traditional gasket sealer this time.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hylomar should be applied as a very thin coating, such that even after tightening down, very little would get squeezed out. Also best if you let it tack up a little first. That's all you need. It's practically all I ever use. If you had chunks of it floating around, you clearly used way to much.

well - pan off, threaded insert tapped and inserted and pan reattached. Waiting for it to dry and then oil tomorrow and I am good to go.

Interestingly, I had used hylomar on the gasket and there was a lot of it in little chunks at the bottom of the oil pan - enough to clog an oil way or an oil pump - so perhaps this has been a helpful repair in the long run - and I used traditional gasket sealer this time.