• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Prize in every box! TR3 gear box

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Had the distinct pleasure of changing my TR3A gear box this weekend. To make a long story short a tooth was chipped on the mountain tour at TRF summer party last year. After some driving around back here in Ohio and hitting a pot hole this spring taking off quickly in 1st a bunch of teeth were sheared off. There was no 1st or reverse after that.

Got a really good used tranny too, cheap. Got a question about the numbers on the box. There are several numbers but which number is the one that would designate about what year it would belong to?

Attachments

• 21865.jpg
    21865.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 522

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Is there a number similar to the commission number (TSXXXXX)?

Scott

Country flag
You now need to name your car "Leon" after Leon Spinks, the pro boxer! He was missing teeth too!! :laugh:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The book says there should be a TSxxx number stamped on the LH side; but I just checked two different early crash boxes and couldn't find a number on either one.

This is where it's located on the later gearboxes, though. The CC prefix indicates it's a late TR6 gearbox (which I have installed in my TR3).

Attachments

• 21866.jpg
    21866.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 506

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I bought my TR3A brand new in May, 1958 so I can assure you that the numbers stamped on my TR are the orginal ones.

VIN : TS 27489 LO
Engine : TS 27789 E
EB # : 27710
Body No. : 983670
Frame No. : Z 28
G/Box : TS 27764 (with 301039 cast onto the Aluminium casing)

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
With the front valance off, the rad out and maybe the engine out as well, the Frame number is stamped onto the top of the frame mid-center looking straight down from above.

The gearbox number is hand-stamped onto the boss (flat bulge) on the side of gearbox casing half way down. I think it's on the side a bit above and to the rear of the clutch slave cylinder - but I can't be sure. The casting number in cast into the top side as shown just below the dip-stick for checking the oil level and re-filling my original gearbox. All TR2s, TR3s and early TR3As had this dipstick.

Attachments

• 21869.jpg
    21869.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 435

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
JP,
-The body number is on one of the 2 brass plates on the bulkhead above the battery.
-Frame number (its a design update number I think) is a welded-on plate on the top of the cross member just ahead of the engine. Kind of hard to see.
-The TR3 gearbox has a SN stamped on a boss on the left side. Easy to see if the transmission cover is out of the car.
John

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The gearbox number is barely visible on the top flange of the boss. Zoom in to see exactly where. As noted above, the tunnel needs to be out so you can read it straight down.

Attachments

• 21871.jpg
    21871.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 411

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don, that photo is way too fuzzy to zoom in on.

I still don't see any numbers on mine. Maybe the factory was kind of sloppy about putting the numbers on ?

DSCF0005.jpg

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Wow thanks for all the replies! Wasn't expecting all them. Got home from work and went right to the car. Replacing the jute under the carpet. The old jute has been in there since 1981 and was very deteriorated. I'm going to place a carpet question too on another listing.

Anyway I took out TS40272 and put in TS74743. Any idea what year tranny that is? Thanks for the pics. Especially those overdrives. After this happened last August I've been looking for a reasonable overdrive with no luck.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
The International Triumph Registry shows the following commission numbers and dates:

TS22014 Sep 1957
TS83572 Oct 1961

I would have guessed late 1960 or possible early 1961 but some of the TR3's listed in that range appear to have April-May 1960 build dates so likely it's from earlier in 1960.

Scott

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The original tranny had a wine in first gear. This one does too. Maybe something in that vin line that does that. This is the 3rd tranny in this car. I'll have to dig out the original one buried deep in the shed to match vins.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR3ATR250 said:
Maybe something in that vin line that does that.
I believe that is right. 1st & reverse are "straight cut" gears, which whine a bit. 2-4 are "helical cut". Notice in your photo above how some of the teeth are at an angle, others are straight. The straight cut gives more strength and efficiency, but makes more noise.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
TR3ATR250 said:
The original tranny had a wine in first gear. This one does too. Maybe something in that vin line that does that. This is the 3rd tranny in this car. I'll have to dig out the original one buried deep in the shed to match vins.

Ought to be a pun made here about wine and vin, but I'm drawing a blank. Some help please?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Twosheds said:
Ought to be a pun made here about wine and vin, but I'm drawing a blank. Some help please?
Don't you mean "I'm drawing a <span style="font-style: italic">blanque</span>?" :wink: No question that 1960 was a good year for straight-cut-gear wines, though. :laugh:

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Andy comes to the rescue again. Thanks. I'm a little dull today.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
My TR3 gearbox is marked TS24093 on a car whose commission number is TS23677L. The engine number is TS24071E. So, the boxes appear to be running slightly ahead of the engine numbers, and several hundred ahead of the commission number.