• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Position of dowell bolts on Healey bell housing

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I knew it was true...:highly_amused:

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
:
good luck fitting the transmission back, read my post on installing the transmission back in the car. Definetly a two man job.

Sorry Johnny, got to disagree with you there, not easy but doable, if you set up a plank of wood under the engine/gear box on jacks - I used screw jacks, when you remove the gearbox, you can use the same set up to replace it. Passenger seat come out, anything from the engine connecting to the bulk head comes off - my BJ7 has a rod from the carbs, all gear box rubber mounts come off, starter motor off, prop shaft off, disconnect feed to clutch slave cylinder and/or remove it. and tilt engine and gear box with the screw jacks so that the rear of the gearbox will clear all obstructions and remove all bolts engine/gearbox.

Gear box will slide up the plank with a good pull and possibly a twist to clear the bell housing / bulkhead and it can be removed through the passenger side. Re-installing is same in reverse, but you will need to rotate the prop shaft connection at the back of the box to engage the first motion shaft into the clutch and the end of the crank shaft as you slide the gear box home. I do understand that different models present slightly different challenges regarding bell house / bulkhead clearance but on the BJ7 at least, it does not present much of a problem.

Many hands WILL make light work of things and the BMC team mechanics could replace a worn clutch plate in an hour - or so it is said.

:cheers:

Bob

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
In addition to Bob's suggestions above...

It's helpful to use a spare fan belt to lift the rear of the transmission. The engine basically balances on the motor mounts. A small block of wood between the valve cover and firewall keeps the engine from tilting backwards as you muscle the transmission.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
:iagree: Can't add much to what already was said, other than if you have the original bolts you'll notice they are a tighter fit in the dowel bolt positions than the other bolts.
good luck fitting the transmission back, read my post on installing the transmission back in the car. Definetly a two man job.
I can’t believe I used to remove and reinstall the transmissions by myself. My “back” has other thoughts on this.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can’t believe I used to remove and reinstall the transmissions by myself. My “back” has other thoughts on this.

You are not alone---LOL-Keoke

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Guys

I don't know how old you are but the gearbox last came out during my 68 birthday, closely followed by the engine. I do not have the height in my garage to get the unit out whole so the head came off as did the gear box then I was able to lift the block out.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO9BMFImr7TEGwcCiDgGqrJyO_JztFXCrX-EYV2

This is a mock up of how I supported the engine/gear box - it is not tilted here of course. Arrrgh It does not appear to be working sorry guys

Bob

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Guys

I don't know how old you are but the gearbox last came out during my 68 birthday, closely followed by the engine. I do not have the height in my garage to get the unit out whole so the head came off as did the gear box then I was able to lift the block out.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO9BMFImr7TEGwcCiDgGqrJyO_JztFXCrX-EYV2

This is a mock up of how I supported the engine/gear box - it is not tilted here of course. Arrrgh It does not appear to be working sorry guys

Bob
The link doesn’t work. BTW, I’m 68 for a few more months and I had to remove/install my trans last year without a lift with two non mechanical inclined guys helping. Fun! I now have a engine lift to assist the next time.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
hey, Robert. Good to have you on the forum and your picture is great. I checked out your website and profile and was interested in the aquisition of your Golden Beige BJ8. It looks really good.

Hi, Robert, and welcome to the forum! I'm interested in your BJ8 acquisition, too. Is it one of the original Metallic Golden Beige cars? I have all 553 of those in the BJ8 Registry, but I try to keep up with them as they change hands. For those who don't know (but care), the first Metallic Golden Beige was built in July 1965 and the second in November 1966. sbyers@ec.rr.com.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow 16 months between the first and second GMB examples. That seems strange. I wonder if the first one was a special one off order and it took BMC that long to realize that color was becoming popular. As I recall, the late sixties were all about "earth tone" colors.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wow 16 months between the first and second GMB examples. That seems strange. I wonder if the first one was a special one off order and it took BMC that long to realize that color was becoming popular. As I recall, the late sixties were all about "earth tone" colors.

I didn't intend to hijack the dowel-bolt thread, so I'll start another one for Metallic Golden Beige BJ8s.

BN6

I am currently restoring a BJ7 Heaely which unfortunately I did not dis-assemble. Is there a specific position for the 2 dowell bolts ( aec3487) on the bell housing ? There is a total of 7 bolts on the housing. I have restored E types and Mark2 Jags. before but a Healey is new to me

Does this picture answer your question ?

IMG_9369.jpg

Sorry just read your post again and realised you were talking about the bell housing and not the rear back plate so disregard.