• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Pump Question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1500 engine

Can you spot the difference? does it matter?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yes. The difference is huge.

One pump is from a 1500 Midget and one from a 1500 Spitfire.

The difference (in pickup position) is created because the 1500 Midget oil pan was redesigned to clear the Midget frame members (the 1500 engine was used in the Spitfire first).

A Spitfire oil pump will fit under a Midget oil pan, but every time you step on the brakes or take a turn (even gently) you'll have no oil pressure. Ask me how I know!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, I have to presume the angled pickup is the Spit?

I can exchange it - (the shiny one is the new one) - The new casting is much lighter - would it be worth simply swapping out the guts or the pickup?

thanks!

G

You'd swap endplates after honing on a piece of glass or mirror with fine/extrafine sandpaper. 240/320 to knock it down a bit(depending on how bad it is), then 400, 600 sometimes I go to 1200 if I have some laying around.

What are the specs of your old pump? Mine was still good.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, if I can resurect this thread for a minute, I sent my Moss Vendor ( whom I trust a lot!) a question about the two different shaped oil pumps and this was his reply.

"The 2 pumps are interchangeable. The later angled pick-up is more efficient and prevents oil starvation on corners. Either type will work." This does not seem to agree with earlier comments. Can anyone confirm or deny? (With expertise :smile: )

thanks!

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
I have the angled oil pump in my 1500 midget and haven't seen issues with loosing oil pressure when turning or braking.

Morris

Yoda
I am rusty on this... so correct me if I am wrong...

The angled pickup is the correct pump. The straight pump was used in some early Midgets, but changed out for the angled pump in later years. I think even the spits abandoned the straight pump for the last few years. The pump that came in my '79 was angled, but I had a '76 spit donor engine that had the straight.

Nial does not specify which is which in his response, but hopefully he will come along and set us all straight. I defer to his expertise.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
The straight pickup is used on Midget. The angled pickup is used on Spits (because the oil pan is a completely different shape). Years ago, I got things mixed up and accidently put an angled-pickup pump into my 1500 Midget street car. Oil pressure would drop to zero when using brakes or certain turns (I forget which way). I put the correct, straight pickup version in the car and problem was solved.

Morris

Yoda
Well there you have it. I had it backwards. I am pretty sure I am running the angled pump in my car. Which ever engine the straight pump came from, it was too trashed to reuse. I do not have oil starvation issues as long as I keep things topped up. If I let the oil get really low (a full quart), I will occasionally get the light of doom during braking on a down hill.

The straight pickup is used on Midget. The angled pickup is used on Spits (because the oil pan is a completely different shape). Years ago, I got things mixed up and accidently put an angled-pickup pump into my 1500 Midget street car. Oil pressure would drop to zero when using brakes or certain turns (I forget which way). I put the correct, straight pickup version in the car and problem was solved.

Nail, you didn't baffle you oil pan for a race car? :cool-new:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
No Hap. The 1275 isn't that way either. I should probably baffle my current pan at some point......I just haven't gotten around to doing any of that sort of stuff. When it comes down to it, my race car is really pretty stock in most ways. On the other hand, it'll spend 7 weekends racing in '13, which is probably more than a lot of racers. :friendly_wink: