• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new to the Group

K

KSIS

new to the Group

New to the world of the Spit4. Any tips tricks things to look for. I will have this car shipped by the end of the month. She is in really good shape. From the pic I can see she may have the wrong lenses and the grill is mounted wrong. Mirrors are wrong and whats up with that antenna? See anything else?

32491940001_medium.jpg

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Re: new to the Group

First of all - welcome! This is a great forum, helpful and knowledgeable people here who will be glad to help you.

eejay56

Jedi Warrior

Welcome. That looks like a real nice early Spit.

OP
K

KSIS

The car is in Oak Harbor Washington, you may see it pass by on the truck in the next few days!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

KSIS said:
New to the world of the Spit4. Any tips tricks things to look for. I will have this car shipped by the end of the month. She is in really good shape. From the pic I can see she may have the wrong lenses and the grill is mounted wrong. Mirrors are wrong and whats up with that antenna? See anything else?
Hard to say on the lenses. Typical US-spec. Spitfire 4 models did have all white lenses in front; fairly late in the Spitfire 4 run, and continuing through the Mk2 run, the outboard flasher lamps were changed to a larger lamp with a plastic lens.

The grille is mounted ok, but it appears to be an early GT6 grille or possibly a Mk3 grille (hard to say from that picture).

Yes, the mirrors are later add-ons, but leave them if they seem functional.

Antennas were usually dealer-installed items, and the RH side of the cowl was a typical mounting point.

The bumper face bar does not look right to me, although it's arguably more substantial than the original; either way, it has no overriders.

Overall, it looks like a pretty good early Spitfire!

Assuming it's a decent runner, you might be "good to go"! Worth looking over at some point is suspension bushings, pivots and such, along with any and all other typical wear items. Details upon request! :wink:

OP
K

KSIS

I was thinking the grill should be mounted on the inside and the buper is actuall from a early VW bug. Luck for me he has a parts car sitting next to it the was a daily driver. When I was in Washington we pulled the 4cyl from his driver and dropped it into this one.
He has dent free bumper with overidders, new bullet mirrors a original grill and anything else I may need. Any ideas what I may want him to throw in the trunk?

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Welcome to the group. I'm also a new member and I found this forum to be very helpfull with great people. As for what to put in the trunk. I would ask for any books, tools, hardware, badges, any thing small. Have him fill it up. You never know what you will need, or have to rebuild. Good luck with the car and spring is around the corner.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight

That's a lovely looking little Spitty. It will certainly be worth getting as much as possible with the car. I would recommend getting anything that is unique to the Spitfire 4. Badges, lights, rear bumpers, instruments, ...

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

KSIS said:
I was thinking the grill should be mounted on the inside and the buper is actuall from a early VW bug.
Original grilles were mounted "inside"; however, they were two-piece affairs that will mount IF the framework is there underneath the current grille. The original grillework for that car would've been a very fine "mesh." This picture should give you a pretty good idea of how the whole front looked originally (although it shows the home market amber flashers).
KSIS said:
He has dent free bumper with overidders, new bullet mirrors a original grill and anything else I may need. Any ideas what I may want him to throw in the trunk?
Take whatever you can get and/or whatever he's willing to give you. Early Spitfire bits are getting a bit scarce. You can always sell or give away anything you don't need.

Oh, and you might find, as many others have, that the bullet mirror will be virtually useless on the passenger side, unless you can get a piece of convex mirror for it.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Welcome to our little slice of heaven.

Nice town you live in. I used to go to the Glen a lot back in the 70's and always enjoyed myself there.

Country flag

Not wanting to sound greedy, but take anything he'll let you have. Always remember the addage "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Once you get everything sorted out, pay it forward and send what you won't be using to the next person. You'll most likely never say "I shouldn't have brought this <part> home!" but you'll almost positively say "I should have brought that <part> home when I had the chance."

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

I'm looking again at the picture in your first post. Now I'm beginning to wonder if that might just be the (quite rare) optional "Vista" grille sold through Triumph dealers (and AMCO distributors) and, at one time, coveted by racers of Spitfires. If so, HOLD ONTO THAT GRILLE! :smile:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Andrew Mace said:
Now I'm beginning to wonder if that might just be the (quite rare) optional "Vista" grille
After blowing the photo up, I do believe that is either a Vista grille, or a very good imitation of one. The corners even turn back (as the Vista did) to hide the ends of the tubes. I don't recall that any of the factory grilles had that feature.

I rather like the look, but if you don't (or want strict originality), I'm sure there are lots of people that would love to buy it from you. In fact I'd like to buy it, just in case I branch out into early Spits
grin.gif

OP
K

KSIS

Well the good news is he has a complete tub sitting there. He sold the frame to someone for a project. Lucky for me he is a friend and I was the one who put the motor in the car.
The bad news is I can only get what I cam fit in the trunk. The shell is there so if there is any one in the area of Seattle or Oak Harbor Washington...I may be able to work a deal.

32491940002_medium.jpg

Here is another pic, care to comment on the grill?