• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hi group

davelgee

Hi group, I have decided to introduce myself in the AH group since this is my main area of interest. I really like the 100/4/6-3000 series of cars and have owned several. I have also owned a couple of the TR3 series of the Triumph cars, to say nothing of the motorcycles. Currently, my only British iron consists of BSAs. I am an industrial tooling maker and also dabble in the heliochronometer (sundial) area. Really a hobby mostly. Certainly I am contemplating the purchase of a roadster or I would not be here! No doubt I will mostly lurk, but I will try to help others if a technical question comes up that I have an answer to.

TTFN
Dave G.
P.S. I hope this is in the proper format for the group.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome aboard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

bighly

Jedi Knight
Your in the right place. Welcome

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Nice to have you aboard, and always good to have more expertise available.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
welcome...nice to have you on the forum. you live in the right place to be into sundials...haven't seen the sun for a while up here in the NE.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Dave, I do not know if you are in the right place or not, However, they do mention Healeys quite often in this place.Welcome aboard!. ---Keoke-AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Heliochronimeter is that like when the sun shines on me and casts a shadow on the ground. Only I seem to cast a somewhat rounder shadow than I used to. Glad to have you here Welcome. Skip

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome Dave. My Heliochronometer is not working today, it's too wet! I'm just tinkering with my car. Puttering is more like it...me and the kids are really bored! The car is bored. Rain, rain, rain, no sign of let up...

OP
davelgee

davelgee

Thanks all for the very kind welcome! And yes, sundials are pretty ineffective in many places and times (night!). Still, I get orders for them from some VERY surprising (and highly inappropriate) climes. Ah well.
On a Healy related note ... Was the short lived US phenomenon of 3 SUs confined to only '62 or were cars built with them for the home (or other) markets at other times? I have always wondered about it. Also, any tips on good histories of the marque on the web greatly appreciated, I need to refresh my memory!

TIA Dave G.
P.S. Please feel free to supply sound effects to the antics of my SU avatar - I suggest 'BLAT' for 100/4 owners and 'RUddenn' for those with 6s.
P.P.S. If you do this out loud, as I did when constructing it, your family may look at you very strangely.

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Dave and Welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
My daughter is out there in Phoenix, she loves it.
This forum is the most incredible resource, glad you have joined up! I never knew Healeys had so many widgets that could be had for mere pittance (read: big bucks) and always need constant attention, refurbishing, and care /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

davelgee,glad to see your willingness to answer tech. questions, i got a sun dial several years ago from inlaws as a xmass. present never did work correctly can you tell me how to change the batterys?. WELCOME,dont worry youll be sein more of this type stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Does it automaticly change with Daylight Savings Time?

[/ QUOTE ] When Dave ships them from Arizona, they do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
davelgee

davelgee

Heh! Yep, out here in Arizona we don't hold with new-fangled things like DST. I like to think of them as "High Performance" sundials check out the site - https://atensundials.com .
And thanks Greg W for the sites, very helpful! I think I will start looking for a MKII with the tri-carb setup or a 'distressed' 100/4, God knows I won't spend the money for a good one!
And speaking of tri-carbs, GW, I have been reading about your flat slide to the dark side with interest, I have fooled with a number of these on HD's (honorable maker's original intent!) and Volvos, of all things, and can tell you that they work. In theory and just judging from pictures, lengthing the intake line via plenum and/or air horns should give a broader power curve, think Helmholtz, a bit of bottom end torque and a bit of top end HP.
just my .02.

Gotta get back to the sundials now.
Dave G.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Please feel free to supply sound effects to the antics of my SU avatar

[/ QUOTE ]

A belated welcome to the forum--Along with John Loftus's overdrive switch that is a really cool avatar.

Blatt....

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome Dave G. Always room for one more member. Had a sundial once, it usually worked fine but I was never in the right place to tell the time. Then, when I was, my shadow was always in the way?
Just kidding, welcome again. Visited Tucson once, in fact have some friends living there. In fact while visiting I purchased a local newspaper and lo and behold there was a Healey for sale in the classified's section. I looked at the car and decided it wouldn't make it back to St Louis and couldn't afford shipping at the time. Good luck with your search for a Healey. Would suggest joining a local Healey club and drive as many different cars as possible before buying.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Richard3000

Hi Dave,
at the risk of being chucked off this site, what bikes do you have? I have a 1954 B33 which is fun to ride and, being rather temperamental, what can I say, gives a great sense of achievement when you get to where you set off for.

Anyone who thinks a Healey is temperamental should try a BSA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif