• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need info for Elkhart lake event this summer.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello BCF members,
As one of my planned summer trips in my Healey, I am thinking about driving out to Elkhart lake to watch the vintage racing. I would like to ask some people in this forum if they ever been there? How many days is this event? Are there camping grounds on site? As a spectator will I be able to walk around the cars and talk to the racers? Are there enough vintage racers there making my trip worth while? What are the dates these races take place? Thanks everyone! Michael,IL.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If you're referring to the annual July event, "The Hawk with Brian Redman," it's July 18-21st. https://www.roadamerica.com/Races/RaceInformation.asp?id=244

I haven't attended this race, but know plenty who have, well worth the trip. Yes to all your questions, in fact this is one of the largest summer vintage racing events in the US.

I competed in the Elkhart Lake Vintage Fall Festival last year, here's a taste.

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Thank you very much Doug! Your attached link is much appreciated! Maybe other BCF members will roll down to this Elkhart lake event.. Thanks again Doug, Michael, IL.

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
wow...thanks for the on board footage Doug! It looks like everyone was dicing it up pretty good out there, I can't belive how clear your videos are... when you are taking the curves at speed and you are fighting the steering wheel..I could almost feel the tires wanting to break loose and the car leaving the racing line... From your video, Elkhart lake seems so well kept and reminds me of the courses in Germany... I am really impressed from what i see. I am defintly making the trip! Thanks so much Doug, Michael, IL.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Derek -

The Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association who sanctioned this fall event at Road America does allow for a 5-speed transmission. The prevision states you may use a replacement transmission as long as it has the same number of forward speeds as the original and it's a production based.
There is a weight penalty however.

Michael -

Elkhart Lake is a wonderful village which echoes the the feel of the 50's sport car scene. I hear the July event is a real Circus so plan to get there early to stake your spot. I'm glad you enjoy the video, I just finish an article on my trip which will appear in the AHC-USA club magazine in a months.

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the heads up Doug, I will get my reservation in this week. I plan on taking plenty of video and still shots of this event and do a little hob knobing with the drivers as i check out there setups.... I plan on building a street racer down the road and want to get some suspension and motor mod ideas as i am planning my build. I am looking forward to your article in the AHC-USA publication, should be a interesting read! Michael,IL.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have been there several times, though it has been a few years. Hundreds of cars, the pits are open, there is camping inside, but you need to make reservations early, there is also a campground across the highway from the track, it is a big event so the campground and hotels fill up early. The track itself is big and wooded, I have not seen anything like it, but in the Midwest where I live most of the tracks are newer, smaller and distinctly lacking in any shade. You can spend a whole day going from site to site watching races from different vantage points. There are usually two days of racing (Saturday/Sunday) and I am not sure one or maybe two days now of practice before. When I was younger we would drive up on Friday in our convertibles (sometimes Triumph, sometimes AH) and camp across the highway from the track, wake up to the sound of engines revving on the track, watch a couple days of racing, and head back late Sunday afternoon for a 600 plus mile drive back, we would be pretty tired when we got back, but it was a good kind of tired....

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Glemon,

Thanks for sharing your experences at Elkhart lake, I have been studying the satellite aerial imagery over the Elkhart lake race track, I had the impression the camping area was right in the racing track compound? Not across the road far away from the track.

After studying Dougs onboard footage, I was able to see many campers parked along side the race track. The reason i am asking is because i want to park my Healey in the camping site along side my tent! I just want to make sure the Healey would be safe parked there while i was viewing the races from different vantage points on the track filming and taking still photo's of the event. Thanks again Glemon, Michael IL.

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A few years ago they added tent camping inside the carosel area. I think (not 100% sure) they require you to buy a three day pass to the track in addition to the camping fees for that weekend. Therefore it can get expensive to do that unless you are planning the whole three day deal. I have been going to this event for about 20 years and camping. We usually stay at Plymouth Rock campground across the street (not the farmer's field directly across the street that somebody made into a makeshift campground with no facilites save for a porta-potty but the actual campground) but we are creatures of habit and that's where we always stayed.

It would be cool to just camp at the track but we usually only go to the races on Saturday so it doesn't make financial sense.

Later,
Wally